suggestions for controversial topics

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree38Likes
  • 10 Post By soul_donut
  • 4 Post By mamarazzi40
  • 1 Post By SierraWinter
  • 1 Post By Seasaidh
  • 7 Post By Spyctre
  • 5 Post By *Lana*
  • 6 Post By Seasaidh
  • 4 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I think it's interesting and, when done tactfully, a good thing to discuss controversial topics related to pregnancy/childbirth/children, considering the forum. I have a suggestion for these conversations:

If you have very strong convictions about something and want to discuss it, post sources! .gov, .org, university studies, things that are measurable, credible sources. It's much more beneficial to the discussion to have the facts - you may influence others or generate better conversation with this information. Otherwise, these controversial topics just veer into opinion. Everybody has an opinion - you know what they say about that.

Happy posting, ladies!
sweety_pie, *Lana*, Anitha and 7 others like this.
April 13th, 2013, 04:44 PM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
I think that respectful discussion is important! I like this post completely.

There are posts on this forum that I may shake my head at or disagree with, but honestly have zero bearing on my life and therefore I would just not comment on.

Differing opinions make the world go round!
April 13th, 2013, 05:58 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. If you really want to persuade others to your views allowing them to research and look at facts helps. I dont mind controversial topics if they stay respectful, I find it interested to see why people do what they do.
QL1516 likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Leah
I totes agree. Anything new to me I want to see proof - or as much as possible. I've got zero problems being educated and when I'm asking for sources, that's what I'm asking for.

I love educated debates!

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 13th, 2013, 10:15 PM
"Shay-see"
I think instead of arguing in the future, I should just post the following handy and self-explanatory image (after all a picture is worth 1000 words):

Good post, Donut, as usual.

...and then we can have the gentlewomen's war of the primary sources, and with any luck it won't then devolve into strawmen and ad hominem arguments, but this IS the internet, so I'll not be holding my breath! Lol.
fancypants27 likes this.

April 13th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Little OT, but I totally clicked on this thinking you posted a list of topics. I expected: next we should talk about ear piercing! Then we can do circumcision and gay marriage and spanking. Lol

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
April 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've learned a lot from controversial topics. Wait until the vaccine posts start! I never knew there was anything other than getting vax on schedule. But I learned that there are other options and based my decision off of my own research into it.

We are all responsible for our child. We have to make decisions based off what is best for our families. We have to be informed, but I jump to journal articles and read the actual research before coming to a decision. It is easy to look online at articles and become swayed by their point of view.
I have one person who used to view a natural website--which was fine, but one of the articles was based off an 8th graders scirnce fair project--no other citations were presented. From that she chose not to do XYZ.

When I worked in the hospital, I once had someone say they were going to decline a test because her friend said she should because her baby cried when she had it done. She had no clue what the test was called or what the test was for, but her friend said she shouldn't do she was going to decline it.

Common sense goes a long way when you are a parent. Do your research. Remember that other people have different views--this could be due to their research or past experiences with something. Respecting others goes a long way. It is easier to have these types of conversations online with "strangers" than it is to have face to face with someone.

April 14th, 2013, 12:26 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

Last edited by ~*Nicole*~; April 14th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
April 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
"Shay-see"
Here we go with my $.02. Might want to grab a sandwich.

Opinions are very relevant in appropriate contexts. When it's something like a personal choice: "I do X because Y and it works for me", great! Knock yourself out.

When it's "Vaccines are a vector for AIDS" sorry, no, an opinion isn't terribly relevant, but it might be harmless if it's stated as an opinion. If an opinion about this sort of thing is stated as fact without reputable sources supporting it, I personally believe you are irresponsible at best and an active detriment to the fight against AIDS at worst.

Some topics fall at different points on the spectrum between the examples I've described above. There are some good guidelines to follow like: if what you're opining about is something that can be demonstrated as either true or false, then it's perhaps not the most appropriate target for an opinion e.g. "I think the sky is green" - we can show pretty definitively that it isn't, and so it's not really up for debate - but you're an adult, you can waste your time however you want. The problem with doing this about medically relevant topics is that a lot of people swallow hearsay hook, line, and sinker and so you can end up with War of the Worlds; Healthcare Edition. If people get hurt or die as a result, you may be culpable.

If what you're talking about is subjective, and the result (are you happy or not, is life working out well for you, etc.) is only personally relevant/variable from person to person, then sure, an opinion is a great thing to have and share.

The vaccine issue is a little bit unique because it's both a personal issue and a societal one. While refusing vaccines for your children might seem to be the right course of action for those kids (or might even BE the right course of action in that they're healthier without them than they would be if they got them - who knows!), if too many people take that same course of action, things could go really badly for the unvaccinated and for society in general.

Specifically, when something like a virus has a stronghold or a larger reservoir of infected individuals (like the one that measles is slowly gaining back), it has more opportunities to mutate, and someday one such mutation could happen in an infected, unvaccinated person that suddenly allows the virus to get past the immunities of the people who are vaccinated, and then you have a very big and widespread problem, and new vaccines need to be developed to defend the population, but in the meantime lots of people die.

So - I for one go back and forth on how I feel about people choosing not to vaccinate. I guess until it actually becomes *my problem*, I'm not going to have any tantrums over it, but I'll still post my arguments in hopes that people will at least do some more reading. Nothing wrong with educating yourself MORE, amiright?

*gasp* Sorry guys; that got long. I need to practice my brevity.

April 15th, 2013, 09:31 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Thanks guys! Consider all your posts liked I think that if we are mindful about posting stuff and have good information, we'll all be better off. I think after the talk about vaccinations I might pay more attention about when they're administered but I don't want to skip any.. it's all well and good to be in one place all the time and not see suffering, but my DH travels sometimes for work to destinations, Asia especially, that have high populations, a lot of poverty, and a lot can go wrong. We both make sure our shots are up to date before traveling and I wouldn't want our child to contract something that would otherwise be preventable. I'm glad to read the research and be able to understand the pros and cons, but I'd rather be in the tiny percentage that have adverse reactions to the shot than have my kid contract some 100 year old crippling disease.

Arwen you cracked me up - I can't wait for the un-PC post that tackles vaccinations, circumcision, and the rest of it I will say, much in line with my take on vax, I hadn't really considered circ one way or another before coming on the boards. I just figure, well it happens at the hospital and is typical, and what I'm used to.. I never really thought beyond that, so now if the time comes we'll have a discussion about it.
Anitha, Spyctre, QL1516 and 1 others like this.
April 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I really want a politically incorrect thread to happen! Maybe in our private board so we can't get lurkers? We have to be nice to each other since we're in this together. lol

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search