question for BTDT moms

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate diaper bags and can never find one that I like. After 3 kids and what feels like thousands of diaper bags you would think I would like one or two but no!

So my question is what type of diaper bag have you found that works for you and why? Also is it big enough for multiple kids stuff. I don't usually have to carry anything for my girls, maybe just a thermos but with my son I still need diapers and sippy cups.

Also I'm not too concerned on the price of the diaper bag because I've tried to stay cheap in the past but when I end up getting rid of it and buying another one I often wonder if I shouldn't have just bought a more expensive one and I wouldn't have wasted so much time and frustration on diaper bags!
April 13th, 2013, 01:33 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally hear ya. They are either too small, too big, too floppy, to stiff, etc. I haven't carried a diaper bag in years and I'm already looking at some from Target, this looks like something I may like

but other than that, I'm lost. I'll be checking back this thread!
jennyrae03 likes this.

April 13th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a Vera Bradley diaper bag with #2 and loved it. I bought a new one last week.

Lots of bottle/sippy cup pockets, zips, large enough to fit stuff for baby and my older kids, washes easily.
April 13th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
My MIL made a baby quilt for DD1 that I really didn't like. I didn't have a diaper bag yet, and could kind of care less what they looked like, so I asked my mom to turn it into a diaper bag. Turns out that quilt makes an AWESOMELY CUTE DIAPER BAG!

It's about 24 inches wide, 18 high. I can fit so much into it, and a lot of people tell me how much they like it. It has 6 pockets on the outside, none on the inside. I fit diapers for both the girls, wipes, extra clothes, blankets, medicine, sippies, hair things, and toys in it.

So it might not be much help, but find an ugly baby quilt, and get your mamma to cut it up!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
April 13th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a diaper bag kind of mom. My last baby I bought a small skip hop stroller bag but hung it from the back of the passenger seat in the van. Most of the time I'm somewhere I would have easy access to my van...if not I'd most likely be using a stroller so the bag would go there.
April 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
I love using back-packs! They are much more easier to use and keep your hands free for baby! (I dislike diaper bags too!)
Seasaidh likes this.

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012
April 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Super Mommy
I have a Vera Bradley one that works OK. But I usually end up putting all this stuff in there and not really using it. I nurse, so I don't have to worry about packing bottles and stuff. I tend to revert back to the free one they gave me in the hospital that is a one strap backpack type.
April 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a Skip Hop tote style of diaper bag last time. It was too big for me. I quickly switched to a small JuJuBe backpack (the kids that comes with a set of shorter straps so kids can use it when they get bigger). That was perfect.
This time I think I am going to get a Petunia Picklebottom--the one that can be a backpack or shoulder bag.

April 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
My husband had just graduated college when I had my son. I tried a diaper bag really quick and hated it. I ended up using his under armour backpack. And that's what I plan on doing this time. I'll use the big area for the baby's stuff, the medium area for my 4 year olds stuff and one if the smaller compartments for my stuff. I'll still have room for extras. Not sure if I'll "treat" myself to a new one or not lol.
April 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking about a Petunia Picklebottom Backpack also but I don't know anyone that has actually used one to find out if they are worth the money.
April 13th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just getting used to carrying purses again and am not looking forward to a diaper bag! I agree with the above suggestion of backpacks. My biggest problem with diaper bag is that I usually have a kid in the Ergo on my back or front, and carrying a bulky bag, either over the shoulder or backpack style, can be either troublesome or impossible. Once my daughter was close to being potty trained, my aunt got me a vera bradly purse that was big enough to carry a single diaper and extra pants for her. I liked it so much that as soon as my aunt found out about this baby, she went and bought a vera bradly diaper bag for me. I haven't seen it yet, so I am happy to see good reviews here.

Usually with my older two I only need to carry an extra set of pants and undies for my younger daughter- she is potty trained now but still gets excited and has accidents. Sometimes we need sippies, but I've been fading those out as well. I do keep extra clothes for each of them in the back of my van, so we're not stranded somewhere- you never know when a kid is going to do something crazy and need new clothes! When my daughter was a baby I hated my bag so much that I started only taking one diaper with me and leaving the rest in the car just in case. I think that is what I'll do with this one, unless it's a day at the zoo or something.

I think my favorite diaper bag was from wal mart. It was lined with plastic, so easy to wipe out if something spilled in it, and I really felt like I could organize it. It had a magnetic closure, so I could easily get in and out of it one handed without messing with snaps or velcro. I can't find it on the website now, so maybe it's been discontinued. I bought it when pregnant with my son, so that was 5-6 years ago! I still have it, but I don't know if I'll use it at all this time; it's not super trashed, but you can tell it's old.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 13th, 2013, 09:42 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a great black Coach diaper at. It came with a pad, and the perfect amount of pockets. DH even liked carrying it, then it got stolen at Texas Roadhouse I'll try to find a link, but it was perfect!!
fancypants27 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(**lurklurklurk*** I'm due in Sept but lurk here all the time because I most likely won't deliver until Oct..)

I use an REI brand sling back pack. It's AWESOME. I hate diaper bags but I love the "hiking" back packs because they have lots of little storage spots and stuff but are way more comfortable to carry.

April 13th, 2013, 10:09 PM
"Shay-see"
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywife View Post
I love using back-packs! They are much more easier to use and keep your hands free for baby! (I dislike diaper bags too!)
My favorite backpack of all time is a highly ergonomic Osprey that's designed for bike couriers who want a backpack option. I was fretting about the diaper bag question and your post totally reminded me that I can just use my handy old backpack (which I have left over from college hehe). I may not need anything additional at all.

That said, I might find something of a shoulder bag and decide I like it. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to bags though - if it's not leather or something designed for outdoorsy activities, I probably don't love it. ...and I don't think I've ever seen a leather diaper bag.

... but then again, I've never looked. Hmm...

April 14th, 2013, 05:39 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like backpacks too, not really a fan of diaper bags.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 14th, 2013, 06:01 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Couple of ladies in my last ddc got a coach bag that they raved about.

I will normally just stuff some diamers, wipes and a change pad into my oversized purse

April 14th, 2013, 08:04 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help. I use school bags/back packs.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Last edited by FishermansWife4; April 14th, 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Pregnancy brain, broken web links, giving up on posting it
April 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I seem to radiate to satchel style nappy bags

The one I bought for my last DD was a cheapie & has recently been replaced with a GR8X. Not in love with it though :/

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
April 15th, 2013, 05:25 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have never liked any of the diaper bags that I have owned. I am thinking of just buying a large purse or bag and sewing some inside pockets into it.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hoping to treat myself to a cute one. Havent really started looking yet.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search