What's in a Name?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Seasaidh
  • 6 Post By mamarazzi40
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By Lotsakids
  • 1 Post By CountryMedic911
  • 1 Post By Effervescence
  • 1 Post By Seasaidh
  • 1 Post By *Lana*
  • 1 Post By mamarazzi40
  • 1 Post By Allisonjuly
  • 1 Post By drewbears
  • 1 Post By Mountain Momma
  • 1 Post By Effervescence

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 01:26 PM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
The teacher in me couldn't resist the title. I love Shakespeare.

Anywho...

I really feel that this baby is named X {not literally X}. Like it's her name.

I told my huz and it is a name he likes. He asked why I felt that it's her name and I just said that I don't have a definitive reason, but I do. The same as I felt with our other daughter.

Naming her was simple. I had a dream she was a girl, I woke up told him about it and said, "her name is Lily." He said, "I like that." and that was it. He picked her middle name --he thinks he picked it anyway. haha I narrowed and coaxed. {Her middle name is Katarina and then my maiden name is her second middle name}.

So, back to belly baby...

I've looked at a billion different names and none of them are her. Except the one.

He only said, "It doesn't really go well with {our last name}". Ummmm, yes it does. What planet are you from?! You're talking to a former teacher who has a billion names immediately off the table simply because they remind me of students.

So, I'm pushing hard for this one and I'll be heartbroken if he vetoes. I'm going to try to get him going on the middle name again.

Anyone else having name bartering?
April 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM
"Shay-see"
It's difficult - the names he's glomming onto tend to be names of famous scientists or mathematicians and the like - some of them are okay, but nothing has really stood out to me. I keep trending towards names I like the sound of, or that invoke some cherished childhood memory for me. Unfortunately there's not a lot of crossover.

We're still working on it.

April 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I definitely like feminine names and shortly after I wrote all this he simply said, "I haven't thought much about middle names." ding ding ding! I took the opening and said, "I strongly feel this is her name, so maybe you can pick out her middle name like you did with Lily!"

So he did toss out some middle name choices throughout the afternoon.

I think it will happen!

We didn't have much cross over either. Although he does like THE name, just not like I do. He will, I hope!
April 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No name bartering yet.

I'm having a horrible time coming up with some boy names.
mamarazzi40 likes this.
April 14th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think my hubby hit name 'burn out' with the last couple, because I've kind of been on my own with the naming side of things

We both chose DD1's name, he chose DD2's first name, I picked the middle, we picked DD3's name between us, he chose DS1's name, I chose DS2's name, & DD4's name
mamarazzi40 likes this.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 14th, 2013, 07:54 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I haven't even started thinking about names I feel so behind lol
mamarazzi40 likes this.

April 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my husband that if it is a girl, I want at least her middle name, if not her first, to be after a great aunt that was extremely important in my life. He didn't say absolutely not, so I think he's in agreement that it will be part of her name, if it's a her. We kind of did the same thing with our daughter. I said "We should name her after your great grandma and my grandma." And battabing, Evelyn Clare (his great grandmother Elva, and my grandma Clara.) With our son, we battled it out for about 20 weeks. I liked Jude. He said no way. So I said "Isaac" he said no way. He came up with some names that I thought were kind of off the wall and crazy. Finally I said "Jonah?" and he said "That one's not so bad." ROFL!!! Then we agreed that his great great great uncle's name sounded good with Jonah, he was kind of an important figure in the family history so it seemed fitting. I really like biblical and Hebrew names, I have always been drawn to them. I feel like we call Evelyn Eve or Evie, and then Jonah, really another biblical name would go well, so I might push Ruth as a first name, I don't know. We'll see. I also like Sarai, but I don't think it's right for this baby if it's a girl. I don't think DH has thought about it too much though and I'm sure we'll start getting into it at about 28 weeks about what our choices will be. I think we might have a "baby no name" for a little while. Our daughter was a "no name" for about three days because no one could agree on the spelling of Clare. LOL
mamarazzi40 likes this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM
"Shay-see"
I'm unfortunately growing really attached to a specific name. I might be allowed to keep it. We'll see. Cross your fingers for me.
mamarazzi40 likes this.

April 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found a name I like for a girl. DD likes it. She is 4, but has shot down most names I've asked her about. When asked what the baby will be named if it is a girl, she says the name. I ran it by the girls from DD's playroom and I had a good response. Mentioned it to a friend and it wasn't as positive. Wanted to discuss it with dh today, but never had a chance. DD is wrapped around his finger, so I think if I have her on my side I will be safe.
mamarazzi40 likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 03:26 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't given it too much thought yet, anytime we think about it, it stresses me OUT!! Maybe knowing if baby is a boy or girl in June will help! lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 15th, 2013, 03:50 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have talked about it a little but not a lot. We have decided not to announce it until baby is born in case we change our minds though.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 15th, 2013, 04:19 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Our girl name is set, but we don't really barter over names anyway.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 15th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweety_pie View Post
We haven't given it too much thought yet, anytime we think about it, it stresses me OUT!! Maybe knowing if baby is a boy or girl in June will help! lol
That was us too! We just didn't really even talk about them until we knew boy or girl. We both figured no sense in going through both genders when we were going to find out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
Our girl name is set, but we don't really barter over names anyway.
Do you both just like the same names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post
I'm unfortunately growing really attached to a specific name. I might be allowed to keep it. We'll see. Cross your fingers for me.
This is exactly me right now.

Here's hoping!
sweety_pie likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have a hard time agreeing in boys names...so of course we have a lot of boys lol!

Our youngest was not named until after he was born.
mamarazzi40 likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 08:00 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
We are pretty sure we are going to let the kids name the baby. I have all kinds of rules for the other kids, but figured why not let this one be different.
mamarazzi40 likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbears View Post
We are pretty sure we are going to let the kids name the baby. I have all kinds of rules for the other kids, but figured why not let this one be different.
That is so great, I would be too scared to try that!

We are team green so we need a bou and girl name. We will use the girl name we had picked out last time so just had to come up with a boy name. Took a little longer this time, last time we agreed almost immediatly on a boy name but just last week we got it figured out! Somehow it feels a little less stressful to have at least something checked off the to do list.
mamarazzi40 likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:
At a minimum you could have a vote!

How old are all your kids? {I'm sure I missed this somewhere else...}
April 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think we'll be taking a baby name book with us to the hospital...

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
April 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My grandparents let my mom name her little sister. There was eight years between them. My mom chose to name her Annette, after her favorite Mousekateer. My grandpa chose the middle name, and to this day we all call her by her middle name! She doesn't mind it though, she likes both her names. She also goes by her nickname, Rose, which isn't part of her legal name at all. No one can quite understand what happened with my aunt's name, but whenever anyone asks, they just say "Cathy named her, and this is how it turned out!" That is not a negative story, like I said my aunt loves all her names, I was just reminded of my aunt when you said this. She uses Annette professionally, but there are people who have no idea that is her real name!
mamarazzi40 likes this.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search