2 kids in a 2 bedroom??

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran
Anyone have any experience with 2 kids in a 2 bedroom? Hubby and I originally planned on waiting until we purchased a home to have a second child but later changed our minds. We decided we could make it work in our 2 bedroom and wanted to have our kiddos with a smaller age gap. Our son slept in our bedroom with us until he was about 9 months and this baby would do the same. That would make it at least a year before we might need another room, and if we have a boy they could always share. Since becoming pregnant, I have been having second thoughts about this though. I hate the fact that the only private space me and my husband would have is the living room.

I really don't see us purchasing a home for at least 9 more months, and definitely don't want to rush it. I would like to be able to save up some more money so that we can get a home we are happy with, not just one that "will do". I have been looking into renting a 3 bedroom just so we would be more comfortable. DH doesn't want to move again, especially if we will be moving again in a year or so when we buy a house. He also thinks it is a waste to pay more for a 3 bedroom when baby will be sleeping in our room. I see his point, but I will be a full time stay at home mom after baby is born and I am feeling like our house will be too cramped. I look around and I don't see a place for a swing, bouncer, pack and play, and all the other baby stuff I have in storage.
April 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We lived in a 2 bedroom until my oldest kids were 1 and 3 then we bought our first house. Our master was big enough to fit the crib and changing table. She napped in the crib during the day and co-slept with me at night. It was fine
April 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it will be ok. We had DD when we lived in a two bedroom apartment and my mom came and stayed with us to help with the baby. She was there until DD was 5 1/2 months old. I know it can get crowded...we had the crib and bouncer in our room, used a changing pad that we moved around wherever, the portable swing, bumbo seat and later on the huge excersauser were all in the living room! But it was fine. We were in the same boat waiting to buy the right house. I think your DH is right, moving again now would not be worth it. Hang in there - its going to be amazing when you guys move to your own home within a year.

April 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did it for years. It was fine. Even when we moved to a three bedroom they still shared. They were both used to sleeping in the same room and became scaredy cats. It was one of those situations where they hated sharing but wanted to still share and sleep in the same room, lol.

it was a lot easier when they were younger.
Allisonjuly likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 15th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live in a two bedroom. We are looking to buy a bigger house but we have been looking for years so chances are good we will have two kids in our two bedroom.

The baby will sleep in a pack n play in our room or the living room. We can wheel it around and when the baby is sleeping through the night our kids will share a room. We don't mind having a boy and girl share a room until they are school aged.

Sometimes I start to feel bad for myself, I try to think... people in other parts of the world live in one room homes with many kids.
Allisonjuly and Lotsakids like this.

Last edited by Laurenj915; April 15th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
April 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We live in a three bedroom. I'm not going to worry about the arrangements for a long while. They never stay in their rooms. Those are for sleeping. All the toys are dragged into the living room for us to trip over!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
April 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As someone said they don't always want their own room! This winter we got my 13 year old a queen sized bed because both little boys kept wanting to sleep in his room with him.
April 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Super Mommy
We have a 3br house, but DH and I each have our own room. LOL. He snores really bad and I can't sleep at all if he is in the room with me. The two oldest have bunk beds in their room and the almost 2 year old sleeps in my room. The baby will cosleep with me anyway. After a few years, we'll add on to the house when we can afford to.
April 15th, 2013, 05:37 PM
"Shay-see"
We were 3 in a 3br - I was older than my next sister by 7 years. From about the time that she was 3 until she was 11 (when I moved out) she and the youngest sister shared a room. They did fine - it was a sort of bonding experience I gather, lol.

April 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
For a short time, we lived in a small two bedroom house, and I would have to say that for me, its not bad until the kids are older. DSD and DS are close in age and when they are running and chasing eachother through the house and toys are going all over the place, it was time to upgrade!!
April 15th, 2013, 05:48 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
We live in a 3 bedroom but they are already all occupied. DH and I have separate rooms. He snores horribly and I would never sleep if we shared a room. So technically we are in the same situation. Baby will sleep in my room for a few months and then the 2 kids will share a room. I am worried about it too, but I know tons of kids share a room and do just fine. I'm just going to go with the flow and hope everything works out!

April 15th, 2013, 06:13 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
We live in a 2 bedroom as well. Baby will sleep in our room in a bassinet and then in PNP. once the baby is sleeping through the night we will move the baby in Finn's room.
All the baby stuff is scattered throughout the house.
Try not to worry, it will fall into place.

April 15th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
We live in a 3 bedroom with 4 kids and 2 adults its small but we manage, Katara sleeps in our room and will share a room with my oldest when this baby comes, we're going to use bunk beds soon!
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

April 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
We live in a 3br with soon to be 4 kids and 2 adults. It'll be tight. We co-sleep and the baby will probably be in our room for at least the first year. I'm thinking we will need to move after that.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

April 15th, 2013, 06:53 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We lived in a 900sq ft apartment until Alexis was 6 months old. That was tight. But we made it work. We had a travel swing and bouncer. We used the PacknPlay in our room then rearranged our room to put a crib in there. It was tight, but it worked. We just had to worry about being quiet those last couple months when we were going to bed.

April 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had 3 kids ages 2, 1, and new in a 2 bedroom for 7 months. It worked just fine. Now we have 5 bedrooms and only 3 are used. The kids hate being alone. The 4 girls share one room (two bunk beds) and the boys share the other. They love it.

April 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran
We currently live in a 1 bedroom 700 sq ft house so I feel your pain. We HAVE to move before the new baby comes or the someone will have to sleep in the camper. Its been cramped but it really makes me think before I buy anything for the house. We have saved money!

April 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Julie
Thank god for bunk beds, otherwise my two oldest boys would not be able to share a room. We have a 5 bedroom house, but SO uses one of the larger bedrooms as his office He was afraid I was gonna make him move into the smaller bedroom so I could turn his office into a nursery I should have lol

April 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran
We currently live in a 1 bedroom 700 sq ft house so I feel your pain. We HAVE to move before the new baby comes or the someone will have to sleep in the camper. Its been cramped but it really makes me think before I buy anything for the house. We have saved money!

April 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had two kids in a two bedroom for a long time, and it was okay. Now we will most likely have three kids in a three bedroom! My mom had five kids in a three bedroom, smaller than the house that I am currently living in. Growing up, I didn't even really notice that it was cramped. Looking around my own house now, I can't imagine having more than three in a space like this, but moms get resourceful

I want to stay in this house for another year at least, but my husband wants to move. I just got my special needs son enrolled in Kindergarten here and his IEP set up and everything, and the kids and I are really liking the community here. DH has a new job further south, and he doesn't like this old house. We have some issues with our neighbor, whom we share a driveway and garage with, and it's a typical old house with old house issues. I like the way it is laid out though. I also think moving is very expensive, and we are trying to save money and pay off debt. We actually kind of argue about moving every day. But space wise, I think it's okay. It seems like it will be a big deal and a hassle now, but once baby comes it seems to fall into place and everything gains a natural rhythm, even space issues. At least that is how it has been in my life so far.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search