talking to baby

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By mamarazzi40
  • 1 Post By ILoveStorm2011
  • 3 Post By MrsHoot

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-to-your-baby/

This is an interesting article about the importance of speech and children - I definitely plan on reading a lot with the baby when they arrive, and of course around the house talk, but right now, I'm afraid they don't hear very much. I'm alone a good portion of the day and I do graphic design - not really a talky job at all! Anybody have any input or information about this? I told DH a couple weeks ago that when the bump gets bigger I wanted to read magazines/books/articles out loud to each other or into the bump because of this - the baby won't know our voices very well since we don't do a lot of talking during the week! Until things ease up at work, DH gets home on the later side, and we'll chat for a bit, have dinner, then unwind and go to sleep.

ETA: I am not commenting on the class portion of the article - I was thinking about the difference in performance based on # of words spoken.
mamarazzi40 likes this.

Last edited by soul_donut; April 16th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
April 16th, 2013, 04:03 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I talk a lot at work and at home. DH actually talks to my stomach every night, lol. I think we all talk to the baby a lot too when it is first born.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 16th, 2013, 05:33 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I talk to the baby a lot, and so does Dd. I also read outloud to Dd a lot which of course would go over to the baby. Even when I was pregnant with Dd though I read outloud to her a lot, just because I liked the thought of her hearing me lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 16th, 2013, 05:40 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read to my children and we all talk to my tummy. My children won't go to sleep unless they say goodnight to their brother/sister. Maybe we're just weird...But I like weird so I'll take it

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 16th, 2013, 06:22 AM
So I AM behind the curve! I feel like a moron talking to myself but I'll suck it up
April 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think talking out loud or even reading your work outloud some is a great idea!
soul_donut likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
So I AM behind the curve! I feel like a moron talking to myself but I'll suck it up
Mel, I do too! Sometimes I start thinking that I'm a terrible pre-mommy because I don't talk to my bump yet...then I remember that my baby can't hear for another week or two, so I feel a little better. haha! I think it will make a difference when I can actually SEE a bump? Maybe then I'll be all "Hey what's up lil dude?" and we can have one-sided conversations...

soul_donut likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
So the hearing is developing soon then! That's good - I'll start things up in a couple weeks then. Get myself some trashy books to read out loud..

Right now all the fetus is hearing is me yelling at the cat for chewing through my bag of english muffins and destroying all my muffin tops!
Seasaidh likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 07:55 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they say your baby can start to hear noises outside the womb at or around 14 weeks? At least that's what I read in one of my books that someone gave me.

I've been reading out loud to my husband recently...unfortunately nothing even moderately exciting. I've been reading a study guide on pesticide so he can take a test to get his sprayer's license for farming. *woo* I think my baby probably would cower inside of me if he/she could hear it, I am THAT enthused about reading it!
soul_donut likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 08:03 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
I can't say that I talked TO any of my babies in utero very much. I sang a lot. They heard me talking to other people.

After they were born, I read books, talked about what I was doing or what was around us and sang a lot. I didn't baby talk when I was speaking to them. I used real words for things etc.

My 13 year old son was reading at a 3rd grade level in kindergarten. My 2 year old daughter's language development is that of a 4 year old. She currently reads environmental print.

Talk to your baby, but don't stress about it! If you're not talking all the time while you're pregnant, it doesn't mean your baby will be behind.

{I'm not saying any of the above to say "na na my kids are the most genius in all the land." They simply come from an environment where education, especially early education is highly valued and they love to learn!} I'm a self-proclaimed nerd.
soul_donut likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
In my sociology class I learned about the whole talking to the child thing and the words that they hear. I think it does matter, especially as the child grows up. My father (a single father who worked with commuting about 12 hrs a day) read to me every night and I think that really effects the child.
I'm surprisingly not into talking to my belly...I've tried, but I think life is just too hectic and all the time I have to talk I want to talk to DH . When he leaves I'll probably talk to the bump out of loneliness.
soul_donut likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 06:54 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I talk alllllll day long as a teacher. The baby probably wishes I would shut up once in awhile.

April 17th, 2013, 04:14 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
My oldest daughter, who is 10 talks to the baby- I think it is soooo cute she even gives my belly a hug LOL

but yea you can never start too early talking to your little one
April 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
im an odd ball... I don't talk to my belly. I always felt weird when DH did too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search