Crib question

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By anothermother
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By WorkerBeeMama
  • 1 Post By fludderbye
  • 1 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 05:59 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I did a major Ikea look, writing down what I was going to get next after a few months to complete the nursery.. The crib that I settled on, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90192924/ , was out of stock. It's out of stock at the Ikea closer to me, too. I'm set up to receive a text when it goes on sale again, so I'll be good. But one thing I noticed when I saw it in the store - it seems short!

Product dimensions
Length: 54 3/8 "
Width: 29 7/8 "
Height: 34 5/8 "

34" isn't really that tall. The dresser I just bought is 38" high. Anybody have any good crib recommendations that may be a little bigger, size-wise? The Sundvik still uses a standard crib, but somehow they all just look miniature, probably because of their modern low profile. I'm on the fence. Also, I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars (this one is $119, and mattresses there are $69-99). I want a safe crib, but think it's kind of pointless to spend an arm and a leg on a crib - I'd rather buy a nice mattress and a bed in a couple years, you know? Anything out there that may fit my cost requirements that isn't a dollhouse crib? I know my budget is restrictive - for comparison purposes I'd be willing to spend up to $200 on the crib frame.
April 16th, 2013, 06:03 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked at the crib too. But the biggest problem for us is that the closest Ikea is 7 hours away.

But I found this one on Target.com and I think this is the one we may end up going with unless I find one on craigslist/yardsale.

http://www.target.com/p/delta-winter...lot=medium_1_2
~*Nicole*~ likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And you are looking for white and somewhat modern right?

I think Target has good low priced cribs.

This is a 3 in one ($159) so you can convert it into a toddler bed and eventually a full sized bed. And it is sold in stores so you don't have to pay shipping

http://www.target.com/p/graco-mason-...Slot=large_1_4

Expecting a baby girl Nov 4, 2015
Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mama!

Last edited by Laurenj915; April 16th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
April 16th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Christine - that's a pretty one, especially for only $129. Lauren - I'd prefer more modern, but not super modern. I like ikea's clean geometric lines, but that fit in with more transitional furniture pieces, like the Hemnes line, expedit, and ribba shelving. We have a mix of styles but it seems to work for us.

Thanks!! I saw this which seemed ok.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/15052213?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

I don't know much about baby brands so that's why I'm asking specifically. My friend's family uses ikea stuff very successfully w/ their kids and I love shopping there so I just went that way initially.

ETA: That crib gets horrible recent reviews on amazon.. like it's impossible to receive one that's not damaged or really poorly made. Darn!

Last edited by soul_donut; April 16th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
April 16th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
34 inches is not that tall but it's not bad either. You might just have to put your toddler in a bed a little earlier. Nothing wrong with that, it's actually encouraged in a montessori approach.

Expecting a baby girl Nov 4, 2015
Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mama!
April 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I do like the idea of going to a bed earlier! It'd be easier to go on trips etc and a good milestone/incentive. I put that Mason one in my bookmark folder, in case ikea never gets that crib back!
April 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mel, I think I have decided to order this crib here:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/DaVinci-Ri...White/14323431

I looked at the cribs at Ikea online, and really liked one of them, but I almost think I like this better!
soul_donut likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is a great option from Walmart and it is only $89!! And they can ship to you or you can pick it up in the store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Storkcraft...White/20753075

I looked at the same ikea one you did but decided against it based on a couple of reviews.

I am either getting this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Mod-P...-White/5983290

or

this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/DaVinci-Je...White/14323441

or

this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Mod-M...ndingMethod=rr
soul_donut likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Double posted

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Last edited by WorkerBeeMama; April 17th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
April 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
just measured the two i have and they are both about 38" high so i wouldn't worry too much about the 4" difference
soul_donut likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I love Ikea... but I would worry you would run into problems finding crib bedding at all stores unless it is spot on with all other cribs.

April 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Christine - that's a pretty one, especially for only $129. Lauren - I'd prefer more modern, but not super modern. I like ikea's clean geometric lines, but that fit in with more transitional furniture pieces, like the Hemnes line, expedit, and ribba shelving. We have a mix of styles but it seems to work for us.

Thanks!! I saw this which seemed ok.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/15052213?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

I don't know much about baby brands so that's why I'm asking specifically. My friend's family uses ikea stuff very successfully w/ their kids and I love shopping there so I just went that way initially.

ETA: That crib gets horrible recent reviews on amazon.. like it's impossible to receive one that's not damaged or really poorly made. Darn!
I got that crib not once, but twice. If we had kept the first one and mixed the pieces from the second one, then we could have had one nice crib and returned another with a lot of damaged pieces. Got it from Walmart and their $0.97 shipping, so it was only a pain taking it back to the store.
We ended up getting a floor model on clearance at a nice baby store for about $50 more than the Walmart one.

April 18th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a short person, I think a shorter crib would be better for me. I don't know how high mine is, but it was always hard to get my daughter up over the side without waking her up. Sadly all the drop-side cribs were in the process of being banned when I was in the market for one.
April 18th, 2013, 08:00 AM
my like buttons are acting crazy and I just wanted to say I appreciate everybody's inputs -i see some great contenders!

I am 5'6" so I'm not sure the height of the crib will be an issue for me no matter what the size. I might actually venture to a Walmart to check these out! Pray for me! hahaha
jennyrae03 likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 08:06 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck at Walmart and remember: There are no lanes when it comes to driving a shopping cart at Walmart. It's a free for all. Wear knee pads and a helmet. Maybe some thick socks to protect the backs of your ankles.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search