OT vent

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Laurenj915

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 09:43 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, it is HARD having a sick toddler! Its hard to guess how hes feeling since he can't tell me. Second of all, it's hard to take off work as a teacher, especially when it's last minute! Sawyer looked off to me this morning, I was home with him yesterday afternoon because he had diarrhea, so I decided to take this afternoon off too. (Dh has been staying home with him in the morning and going in late, which has been a godsend!!) We have an online system to request subs, so I put in for one this morning and got one--which was good, because I put it in kinda late.

So I get to school, check my email, realize that the IEP meeting I okayed yesterday was for today and not for May 17th. So there goes my planning time to make sub plans. Then I got an email from a group that I'm with and realized (thanks preggo brain!) that I was supposed to be at an all day meeting for that, but completely forgot about it. (I wouldn't have been able to go anyway since Sawyer was sick and I had the IEP meeting) Everything ends up fine, I go to the IEP meeting, have some time left over to planget things ready for my PM sub. I check my email, and the sub cancelled at 11;00. Grrrr! It's possible she had a really good reason...but it really puts teachers and schools in a bind when people do that, especially that late! So I run around, ask the secretary and they figure they will have to buy planning from other teachers.

I just feel so bad about putting others out-- other teachers, my team and I feel like an idiot for completely forgetting that meeting- and when I told my students this morning one of them commented that their dad said it seems like Sawyer is always sick.

So I just feel bad in general, even though I know most of those things are out of my control. And I enjoy being home with Sawyer sick or not, he is my baby and I love taking care of him.

Alright...done venting, thanks for listening!

April 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh...I am sorry. That last comment from student's dad would have irked me so bad!! I hate when people make a comment like our child is sickly and unhealthy and weak! My DD is one of the healthiest kids I know and invariably when she gets a fever on rare occasion if I mention it to my mom or MIL, they will make a comment like ' she seems to get sick so often' Seriously? Are you keeping tabs? Was she sick last month or the month before? Wow I get so pissed and I told them both not to ever make that comment again! Sorry didn't mean to get sidetracked there...I hope Sawyer feels better. It's never easy to take a day off from work!

April 17th, 2013, 11:35 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
That is really crappy of a parent to say that. He knows nothing about your life and shouldn't comment on it. that would really piss me off. I am sorry that Sawyer is feeling badly. I hope he feels better soon.
I feel lucky that with the job I have that I don't usually need someone to cover for me unless I know that I am going to be out for an extended period of time. Many of the things I do could be done at home too if I were to set it up that way.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 17th, 2013, 11:42 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The parent comment did kinda irk me. So sorry my kid gets sick and inconveniences you... and I honestly can't remember the last time I was out with him... but I had that awful flu like 3 weeks ago and was out 4 days, maybe he thinks that was because of Sawyer too. Not that it matters!

He seems to be feeling better this afternoon... he has kept some food down and actually wants to eat, so those are good signs!

April 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Being in education forever, and this might sound super duper selfish, but take care of YOUR family first. Most of your parents (students’ parents) would not give up their time with their family, especially family that is ill, for the good of the group. Yes, I understand education is a public service commitment, but you are now a mommy and you are your babies world. The other parents need to realize that you love their children, you also love yours!

April 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
((((HUGS)))))) Vent away my dear!

April 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad he is feeling better. Having a sick toddler is soooooo hard.

I totally feel for you about being a teacher. In most jobs you take off and you don't HAVE to have someone cover you. I think most school administrations are very understanding. After all, they have alot of moms working for them.

I remember calling into sub central and having to take whatever sub they had for my classroom para when I was 7 months pregnant. I ended up with like an 80 year old woman with a cane. In a kindergarten autism class! I told her to sit in front of the door all day and just make sure no one escaped.
jennyrae03 likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 07:06 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear he's starting to feel better! It sucks when people can't keep their ugly opinions to themselves or at least out of their child's hearing range, jeeze! Kids are sponges, don't the parents realize this yet?? You're doing good, Mama. Don't let anyone make you feel like you're doing less than stellar. Keep your calm, eventhough you should totally tell them where to stick their ugly words.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran
Hope your little man feels better soon.

April 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that is tough, I always feel like people will judge me if I want to take time off to take care of Dominic when he is sick. I have heard people around here complain of others who "get out of things" to stay home with their kids... ah! Grow up, being a parent is definitely NOT about "getting out of things," especially if we have chosen to work, then we obviously WANT to be at work!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search