Anyone else feel..... I guess superstitions for lack of a better word?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I know with my first baby I couldn't wait to buy things, couldn't wait to set up the baby stuff. With each pregnancy there after I have found myself not as excited to do it I guess??

Its not that I don't want to get stuff ready, but more of a fear of jinxing something. I am so afraid of having the house all set up for baby, and going into have the baby only to not return with a baby?

Maybe I am just a crazy odd ball?

That and as pregnancy goes on I don't get as excited to get things all set up cuz I have gone overdue before it was torture with a few of them having it all ready to go and only waiting on the baby to decide it was time to come out.

April 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It took a lot to get the pregnancy pillow and books out of the attic. I have not bought one thing for the baby even though I found out its a boy over a week ago. I still don't feel safe.

Also maybe because I already have kids I think it's silly at this point to set anything up. I probably won't until August. I'm currently using the nursery as a playroom.
April 17th, 2013, 01:28 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm totally more supersitious than I should be. I made sure I didn't wear anything that I wore to the any of the ultrasounds I had Evey to the ultrasounds this time.

I don't do it on purpose but I usually just don't buy stuff until after the anatomy scan. Probably because the previous times I didn't even see the baby before then, so afterwards it felt more real. I think this time I may start buying some neutral things, like onesies. But I really like gender specific items so obviously I need to wait until after the 29th.

April 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first one I told everyone at 12 weeks, and now I think I might wait until the anatomy scan to tell my boss and others. Also, the baby will be sharing a room with my daughter, and we pretty much have everything we need, so there is not much to set up.
April 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I keep having dreams that I loose this baby. I'm sure a lot of it has to to with the fact that I had a miscarriage in August but I'm afraid to buy anything in case something happens to it. I guess I'll feel better after I hear the heartbeat again next week but I'm more nervous with this pregnancy than with any of my others.
April 17th, 2013, 03:41 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was really paranoid and superstitious at first, but after getting nothing but rave reviews about Jane's health at all my doctor's appointments, I feel a lot better.

I still worry though and use the doppler every few days. Yesterday it took me FOREVER to find the heartbeat and luckily I wasn't totally panicked. It took like 15 minutes. Once I found it though it was great and perfect.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not superstitious here at all. If I see something that I think would be handy for the baby, (generally second hand,) I pick it up anyways. Have done right since I first found out. I've always figured that if I lost the pregnancy I'd just move the stuff on.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
April 17th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Julie
It's not unusual. There are several cultures/religions that have like this "rule" that nothing should be set up for the baby until after he/she is born. I need to be prepared so I could never delay all that, but I can understand that some women may feel like that, especially if they have suffered a loss before.

April 17th, 2013, 06:57 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm like that. DH is all like "GO BUY THINGS!" and I'm just not ready. He'll end up winning though but I'm keeping those recipts and finding out where/how to return items. I'm serious. Granted, I'm only 13 weeks but still! I don't think I'll be ready until week 30 anyway. I definitely have a fear of "jinxing" myself I guess. I'm just not comfortable and I don't believe in doing things until you're comfortable, unless you have an extremely pushy husband who's just trying to get you excited by being pushy. Just my 2 cents though...

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 17th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Veteran
I think that is totaly normal. I think part of it is when its not your first you are so busy with your kiddos you have less time to think about it!

April 18th, 2013, 04:22 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I am not really like that, but I am not buying things yet because I really want to find out what I am having first, lol. Watch out after June 10th though, I am gonna be a shopping fool momma, hehehe.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 18th, 2013, 04:22 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's completely normal. The only thing I have bought so far is one set of prefold diapers that could go for a boy or a girl. Maybe it's because I don't have as much to set up this time (no nursery) so I don't feel like I am on a time crunch to pick it all out.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 18th, 2013, 04:34 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have bought 2 yellow ducky sleepers at around 12 weeks, but I kinda felt good doing it as if I was finally breathing a little. I think after our 20 week u/s I will start buying more. No clothes until after our gender scan at 25 weeks though!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 23rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I saw some gender neutral stuff the other day but only glanced at it and kept walking. Im not ready yet.

Maybe I will start knitting a blanket.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search