AH!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By chachartier
  • 3 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By ~*Nicole*~
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By Irshtripletsmommy
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 1 Post By QL1516
  • 1 Post By Cccbb61013
  • 2 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 2 Post By chachartier
  • 1 Post By Wren

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 02:21 PM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I don't post a lot in here, I feel like I hardly ever have five minutes to check in... HOWEVER

I work in an office specifically aimed at helping children who have been through traumatic expriences... and I can not BELIEVE how judgmental and uneducated some of the people here are about stuff like how old people "should" be when they have kids, breastfeeding (moms being uptight (!!) about not giving formula or not wanting to introduce a bottle early) and how long a mom "should" breastfeed....

I mean, I am all for people making their own decisions about what is right or wrong for them and their family, but people in my office will make fun of moms for breastfeeding or for breastfeeding a two year old, "once they are old enough to ask for it, they are too old to be breastfeeding," nursing more than one baby at a time, pumping at work, needing time off to take care of a sick kid or something...

PEOPLE hellooooooo this is an office that is all about protecting children and educating parents... FINE! You don't want to breastfeed two kids at once, or you got tired of doing it after a year or never did it at all for whatever reason... or you had kids at whatever age you think was the perfect age... but me, as a breastfeeding-a-14-month-old-don't-intend-to-stop-til-he-wants-to mom, regardless of whether another kid comes along before he is done, and yes maybe I need to take off a day or two here and there (rarely) when his daycare won't take him... I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR YOUR JOKES/RIDICULES of a mom who declined a gift from her mother (my coworker) of formula and bottles... I also do not want to hear you talk crap about your sister who is 40 and wants to have another baby because she is "too old." Tell me what is the right age these days? I hear that 20-somtehing is too young, and now 40-something is too old... that gives you your 30s only?? That is crap!

I just can't believe that I work in an office for protecting child victims, and I hear people saying this crap all day long. I always just get up and walk away... I thought it was just me, but other people have been complaining to me about it and I'm wondering when I am going to snap and complain about it.

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Girl tell them the truth! Nothing better than a dose of the truth for crap like that. Ugh!
April 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Idk why women are so hard on each other for their parenting choices. I'm all for breastfeeding, but as long as you're feeding your baby, you're doing your job and it's none of anyone else's business. I've dealt a lot with people questioning the size of my family, and that's none of anyone's business either. I'm an opinionated person, but as long as her baby is taken care of, it's no one's place to question the choices a mom makes. Sorry you have to deal with that.
chachartier likes this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

April 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand people blasting their narrow opinions in public. You never know what is going on with the people around them.

There were two moms chatting near a friend of mine and I on the elem school playground last week. They were bad talking only children. The dad I was talking with only has one 7 year old son. Jerk ladies.
chachartier likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Julie
That's awful, it's like don't they realize people can hear them? Just because they have an opinion does not mean that everyone should have the same one. Must be hard for you to keep quiet.
chachartier likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Teach them an old Greek woman taught you if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Sheesh! That would have to be hard though and I'm very proud of you for doing the mature thing and NOT telling them where to go, how to get there, and what to do once they are indeed there.
chachartier likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Leah
Women can be catty, regardless of topic. Don't feel bad if you have to complain - if they're prone to judging, it could be effecting their work too. I worked with kids and found that often the judgey people often, consciously or not, were less effective in their work. To a lesser extent (and sometimes not) you'd hear the same type of judgement be passed around a client. Not cool.
chachartier likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I find that most of the time (keep in mind I said most, sometimes you have the jerks that will still tell you that you are wrong), if when people are complaining or making fun of something I do (I.e. cosleeping) and I tell them that I did/do it and loved/love it, if shuts them up and they make a lame excuse as to what type of cosleeping they don't agree with. With breast feeding, I've caught a lot of flack for NOT doing it. Women (and men surprisingly. I had one berate me weeks after I had my son and I was so shocked I sat there dumbfounded. That will NEVER happen again) are just so judgmental and think their way is the only way. You do what works for you.
chachartier likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 04:12 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
You know sometimes I think I really like it that I work with mostly men. They can be so much easier to work with and they seem to feel more compassion towards women than other women do which is a horrible, sad thing.
QL1516 and chachartier like this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 18th, 2013, 07:10 AM
I agree! Thank you so much for the support ladies I have on occasion said "I do that," or put in my opinion about whatever they are talking about, but if there is more than one of them, they will like listen for a second, and then go about their conversation when I get up and leave or something. It's not like they are just chatting in their office, they are usually talking in the lunch room. One time this med student was talking about how annoying it is when people in her class have babies because they will use the lounge to pump or sometimes they will "get out of things" because they don't have an on call babysitter when an emergency comes up. SORRY but I bet those people would love to not have to worry about who was taking care of their child, it's not like they are slacking or getting out of something by staying home with their baby, that is HARD WORK and they know that other people might be pissy about them not being able to always come running. Also, if you are so annoyed that a mom needs to pump in the only lounge that is available, then maybe you should join advocacy efforts for the implementation of a comfortable nursing area in all public facilities!!! I do work in an office with ALL women, the only man we had left a few months ago... we are hiring for several positions, and I keep praying a man will bring some testosterone around here and lower the drama SHEESH

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 18th, 2013, 07:25 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
PS: Chastity I love your baby's hair swoop!!!
April 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Haha it is his little trademark... I have had people ask me if it is natural. Like "huh?! no... I put product in my baby's hair..." LOL let me see if I have a more recent picture of him...

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 18th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People are so narrow in what they think are acceptable choices:

If you have zero kids, you are selfish. If you have one kid you are selfish for depriving your kid of a sibling. If you have 2 kids you are perfect. If you have 3 kids you are selfish and destroying the planet.

If you don't breastfeed your child will be obese and have allergies. If you breastfeed for 6 months - 1 year you are perfect. If you breastfeed more than 1 year you are a freak whose child is going to end up a freak.
chachartier likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
sad thing is the mean girls thing doesn't end in high school... then starts the mean mommas. Gotta love how people feel like only their way is the right way.

April 23rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And this is why I mainly hang out with guys!

I don't understand why some women feel that they have the right to express their opinions about someone else's choices in life. As far as the BFing goes, maybe the woman isn't producing milk, maybe they have to get back on medication which would make BFing a bad idea, maybe they freaking just don't want to - IT'S THEIR BUSINESS. Same goes for how many children a woman chooses to have or not have, and how they choose to raise them - as long as the child/children are being cared for, it's no ones business.

Hats off to you, girlfriend, for maintaining your composure in such an environment. If I was in that office, I would have given them all a piece of my mind by now...then with the hormones flowing around, may have informed them that they are all a bunch of judgmental, opinionated b*tches who really need to find hobbies.

I swear, the world in general would be a better place if people just learned to mind their own business.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search