Patience or elective gender determination ultrasound?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Elective ultrasound?
Patience! 11 39.29%
DO IT! Spend the dough and know! 10 35.71%
If a birthday gift, do it, if not, wait. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I have the same dilemma. There is an ultrasound place that is perfectly located 25 miles from outlet shopping that includes the likes of Gymboree, baby gap, Janie and jack and motherhood just to name a few. I plan on going to these outlets within the next two weeks, so I keep going back and forth on scheduling an appointment. I finally thought I decided I was going to until yeaterday I talked to a coworker (radiology technician) and she told me when she was pregnant she worked at a hospital and ultrasound was right next door so they would do them all the time for fun. I told her I wanted to get an early elective one and she told me not to, that it was too soon to properly detect, especially if they say it's a girl. We got interrupted by a patient so I didn't get to ask her to elaborate and the lucky girl is on her way to the Dominican Republic now. So now I'm undecided again!

Btw.....gnr is freaking awesome
soul_donut likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 11:19 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heck, I'm calling to schedule mine tomorrow--I can go in about 1.5 weeks. My daughters gender scan was wrong, but I still want one done as soon as possible. No nub shot on today's scan as baby wouldn't cooperate. The doctor tried several times, but no luck, but he did make a guess but told me not to go buy a lot of that color yet.
I think it helps make it more of a reality. You get to begin a different sort of bonding because instead of it being your baby, it is now your son/daughter.

April 18th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
Do it... $60 can be easily spent going out to eat.... It's worth finding out early. I'm going on Friday... I even have my 16 week appt the end of the next week but I don't think they are going to do a scan... just schedule my scan for 20 weeks. So I'll have this one Friday, 20 weeks and then I'm planning to do another 3D 4 weeks later.

April 18th, 2013, 05:02 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say wait!

They won't tell us the gender here at our 18-19 week anatomy scan, so in order for me to find out I will have to pay $175 and drive 4 hours there and 4 hours back!! :O This elective place doesn't take you until 20 weeks, but we've decided to wait until 25 weeks so we can get better pictures and maybe a chubbier looking baby, seeing as we have to travel so far and pay so much! So I have another TWO months to wait!!

Good luck!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 18th, 2013, 05:07 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I say go for it. It is totally awesome to find out earlier than your 20 week scan. I don't get mine till June 10th, but as much as I want to know the gender I also don't want to because this is my 4th baby and I want it to be a girl soooo badly. I will experience some gender disappointment if it is a boy, and I don't want to.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 18th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm paying for an elective one.

I was fine waiting until 18 weeks with my first two pregnancies, but I have 0 patience this time.
And to think I considered going team green this time---bwahahahaha.
soul_donut likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made this thread in the August DDC when I was debating booking mine!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ctive-u-s.html
soul_donut likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
I made this thread in the August DDC when I was debating booking mine!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ctive-u-s.html
This was a good idea! Take it to the next up DDC. Their responses were helpful, too. The most persuasive information I took away from it was that sometimes babies don't cooperate - if the baby isn't in the mojo at the 20 weeks, I may not find out for sure anyway. Since they're more checking for arms, legs, fingers, general abnormalities (and not specifically gender) they're not going to spend all day poking around. One person said that if the 20 week short visit @ her OB was the only one, she would have been disappointed.

DH and I LOVED our 12 week scan - but it was long because it was the NT scan! I would guess that the 20 week is a bit shorter, no? Also, DH said he regretted not taking a video of the whole thing but he was too excited to hold the camera, ha.I know how our birth videos/pictures would turn out, lolol.
April 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd wait till the 20 week appt. I am just cheap like that

April 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
if we were finding out I would wait till my 18-20 week scan. No point in an early one for me to find out a few weeks early. I would save the money and put it towards baby stuff later.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search