Patience or elective gender determination ultrasound?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Elective ultrasound?
Patience! 11 39.29%
DO IT! Spend the dough and know! 10 35.71%
If a birthday gift, do it, if not, wait. 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 05:43 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I am not on team green. I mean, team green in the sense that I love the COLOR green, and organic veggies and all that, but I am not equipped to wait until October to find out little one's gender! I am nearing the point that I could get an elective ultrasound for $60 and likely find out the gender. But do I want to? I am really on the fence. On the one hand, I'm thinking it'd be great to find out and figure out a name, and call my baby by that name and not "it" or "he/she" or any of our various nicknames. But on the other hand, I feel like I might be spoiling things by rushing into the gender reveal. It's hard to explain - more of a feeling.

So what do you think? WHAT SHOULD I DO? Poll for me, comments for yourself!

And if I can't figure out the poll, then I guess comment!

1. Channel your inner GNR - Have a little patience.
2. Spend $60 and know, now!
3. Que sera - if DH brings it up, do it, or if I get one for a birthday gift go for it, but otherwise wait. (My birthday is in a couple weeks)

ETA: What are youuuu going to do, if you're finding out the gender?!

Last edited by soul_donut; April 17th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
April 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Before I vote...are you offered an anatomy scan/gender scan as part of your routine care? I get one at 20 weeks. Do you get anything like that?
April 17th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Yep, 20 weeks.. so it would be at the end of May.
jennyrae03 likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 06:02 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol girl, you ARE impatient! Hehe

That being said...so am I. I'm also cheap. So I personally would cross my fingers that I get one for a birthday gift (and also drop lots of hints). I got my "fix" today, and now am going to wait rather impatiently for my 20 week scan
April 17th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Leah
Hmmm, I'd definitely be paying if it weren't offered. I'm scheduled at 18 weeks, 4 days for my scan and I was chomping at the bit for that.... But the doctor called today and they want to look at my cyst again, so ill be getting a superset one at 15 weeks, 1 day. I'm hoping little Kuato shows the goods next Friday.

Yeah, no patience here.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 17th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Julie
What is this word "patience" you speak of? I am going to call this week to make my appointment for an elective in 2 weeks!
Druslady96 and soul_donut like this.

April 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doooo ittttttt!!! I have no patience for these sorts of things! And it's cheaper than they are here ($85). Ok, in my experience, I was sent to an outside clinic for my anatomy scans, most of the techs weren't very.... friendly and barely gave the look between the legs. Because "that's not what I'm here for". Lame.

This time, because I'm at a different office, they do the scans in house and I already loved my ultrasound experience with them. And they've already mentioned multiple times "we'll do the anatomy scan and find out the gender". So yeah, a lot better than the other place.

For us, we LOVED the experience of going to a elective place to find out the gender. The tech is super nice and friendly and lets us spend as much time as we want looking at the baby.

We will be going to the elective place again this time. I wouldn't have minded waiting, but DH really wants to find out early and he wants to get the last experience a new happy memory for this time. So yes, we will be finding out at 15w3d-- 12 more days!
soul_donut, QL1516 and jennyrae03 like this.

April 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do it if it was being offered as a gift. Otherwise I am cheap and waiting 4 more weeks until my 18 week appointment lol.
QL1516 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 17th, 2013, 06:15 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Yep, 20 weeks.. so it would be at the end of May.
Same here, but that's waiting another almost 5 weeks for me! Arg. I've never had patience. So by birthday gift, does future BIRTHday for said baby count?
soul_donut likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post
Lol girl, you ARE impatient! Hehe

That being said...so am I. I'm also cheap.
Hahaha, me too. I would rather buy a a new outfit with my $60 and wait. But I have a gender scan with a perinatologist at 17 weeks because I am of advanced maternal age (aka old woman) so I don't have to wait as long. The longer they made me wait the more impatient I would get.

April 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
If we went by the pattern they've got going at the doc, I'd guess my 20 week appointment would be May 28. That is 6 solid weeks from now! My birthday is May 7. I already said I wanted to go see Jurassic Park in 3D but maybe I can make pouty faces and hint my face off that I'd like to ALSO get an ultrasound I mean, I'm turning 30 and I can't even have a drink! womp womp. We are also chea-- i mean, frugal.. it'll be a tough sell!
April 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If we went by the pattern they've got going at the doc, I'd guess my 20 week appointment would be May 28. That is 6 solid weeks from now! My birthday is May 7. I already said I wanted to go see Jurassic Park in 3D but maybe I can make pouty faces and hint my face off that I'd like to ALSO get an ultrasound I mean, I'm turning 30 and I can't even have a drink! womp womp. We are also chea-- i mean, frugal.. it'll be a tough sell!
3D ultrasound in prep for a 3D movie - sounds like a perfectly logical thing to ask for. Its like a 3D birthday party!
April 17th, 2013, 06:51 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
$60 to find out the gender of your baby huh? I'd do it and I have 3 children already and I'm a cheapskate. It's a chance to see your baby, it's a chance to hear the heartbeat, it's a chance for your DH to see baby potentially, I mean, there's no losing here. PLUS who says you have to tell anyone you know the gender yet?

PS! SierraWinter, I can't like your post for some reason but that's an AWESOME point. 3D PARTY OVER THERE! WHOOP WHOOP!
PSS- It finally let me like it....
soul_donut likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Last edited by FishermansWife4; April 17th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
April 17th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran
I would wait for your 20 week ultrasound but I am on team green so I am good at waiting, not sure that helps!

April 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Leah
Quote:
My birthday is May 7.
Tauruses represent! Woot!
soul_donut likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Wait if you can get an u/s in 2-3 weeks. Go for it if you actually have to wait till 20!
April 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Veteran
i'm waiting until my bday at the end of may to find out so that was my vote. it's gonna be a looong 6 weeks but hopefully worth it. im so anxious to find out already though! lol

http://www.gofundme.com/Valentina
April 17th, 2013, 08:17 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What!? No way!!!!! That's my birthday too!! 27 here! I've never heard of anyone sharing my birthday it's always been the day before or day after!! Wow, they do exist!
soul_donut likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Bday twin!!!
April 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I have the same dilemma. There is an ultrasound place that is perfectly located 25 miles from outlet shopping that includes the likes of Gymboree, baby gap, Janie and jack and motherhood just to name a few. I plan on going to these outlets within the next two weeks, so I keep going back and forth on scheduling an appointment. I finally thought I decided I was going to until yeaterday I talked to a coworker (radiology technician) and she told me when she was pregnant she worked at a hospital and ultrasound was right next door so they would do them all the time for fun. I told her I wanted to get an early elective one and she told me not to, that it was too soon to properly detect, especially if they say it's a girl. We got interrupted by a patient so I didn't get to ask her to elaborate and the lucky girl is on her way to the Dominican Republic now. So now I'm undecided again!

Btw.....gnr is freaking awesome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search