I think I had to defend my name choice this morning

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 04:30 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
As I was walking down the hall at work one of my friends, an older lady who works on the assembly floor here, asked how I am feeling. The conversation was going great until she asked if I have picked names yet. I told her not really for a boy, but if we have a girl we are going with Sophia Elizabeth. She looked at me and said "Isn't that name Italian?" , with a look on her face like... um you aren't italian. I told her that I wasn't really sure of the origin of the name, but I actually thought it Greek, and my husbands family is actually from Greek origin. I then looked the name up once I got to my desk and it is actually Greek, not that it matters one bit to me what the origin of the name is, but I think that my pregnancy hormones are making me want to go back out there and throw this info in her face.
CountryMedic911 likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hate when people act like that.

After I had my daughter we were into a store and some lady asked what we named her, I said Bayleigh and she scrunched up her face and said thats a WEIRD name. Like really!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 18th, 2013, 05:24 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
How rude!
April 18th, 2013, 05:56 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty name judge-y...BUT no one would ever know it! People choose names for their babies for whatever their reasons are and it's simply not my business to share my opinion with them about it.

I have to say it's probably the teacher in me where that comes from, but I was raised better than to sh*t talk someone's name.

To each his own!

And for the record, Sophia Elizabeth is a beautifully classic name.

Also, my Mother-Out-Law doesn't have any filter when it comes to things like that {or anything else for that matter} and when we named Lily, she was rude about it and I wanted to throat punch her.

Instead, I told her that it was a good thing she was done having babies and didn't have to use it as a name then.

Last edited by mamarazzi40; April 18th, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
April 18th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Regular
Wow, how rude is right!

STC #2 for 35 cycles, FINALLY pregnant!! IT'S A GIRL!

Payton - 5 Buster- 2
April 18th, 2013, 06:28 AM
~ ttc island baby #3 ~
How incredibly rude of that lady! Unbelievable!!! Your name choice is exactly that...YOUR choice. It is a beautiful name choice, by the way My girls' names are Grace and Isabella and you have no clue how I was judged on those names either...whatever!!! I am from Europe (not from Italy though) so I'm sure that same lady would have given me the same attitude about 'Isabella'!
April 18th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
LMAO!!!!!!!

Sophia Elizabeth? Where has that lady been? It's such a normal name these days and I can't believe it would even be considered Italian anymore.

My dd is named Nina. Once in a while its seen as Spanish. Whatever. I met someone from New Zealand who said its very common down there.
April 18th, 2013, 06:38 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find the name absolutely beautiful. To me, it invokes one of the classy ladies who would be kind to others, help those in need, and be a diplomat, if that makes any sense. A Jackie O grace and poise kind of thing. She's rude for even mentioning it. Who cares where the name comes from? As long as it fits the child and speaks to you as her mother, that's all that should matter. (I can't see naming your child 'google' though. Sorry. Hate on me ALL you want for that little comment) Some older ladies are just silly though...Then again so are most people in general.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Whatever happened to "That's a lovely name". In my books that's the only response that's appropriate, unless someone actually asks for honest opinions and ideas while choosing a name!

This name thing is such a pain, its like we have to please the whole world and their uncle! With DD my MIL had picked out a name for her. We had already come up with the name and had made the decision. Plus the name she had picked was no where near our comfort zone.. She is into prayer meetings and apparently this name came to her from God. She was basically emotionally blackmailing us that we were rejecting the name God had sent!! Aaaagh. We were still firm. To our utter frustration, she started calling DD by that name After a couple of times DH put his foot down and said, she has a name and the one she was using was not her name! It was such a huge drama. I am seriously dreading it again this time.

April 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, Anitha. Your MIL sounds like a piece of work!
Anitha likes this.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
April 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I never ask about names. LOL I'm so particular about it and really can care less what other people name their kids. I wouldn't snub my nose at someone's name choice, though. I like Sophia Elizabeth!

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

April 18th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not only is she stupid but out of touch since Sophia is a fairly common name nowadays. The only bad reaction I've gotten to my daughter's name (Stella) is more than one person asking "Oh, is that a family name?" like that would be the only reason I would name her that.
April 18th, 2013, 07:47 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
Not only is she stupid but out of touch since Sophia is a fairly common name nowadays. The only bad reaction I've gotten to my daughter's name (Stella) is more than one person asking "Oh, is that a family name?" like that would be the only reason I would name her that.
I LOVE Stella!! And in my case it IS a family name... my grandmother's.
Wren likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 07:48 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Thanks guys. I was stewing over it this morning, but thankfully I have calmed down.

Speaking of MIL's, mine wanted us to name this baby Chrysellen if it's a girl. Chrystal for her and Ellen for my mom. My dh flat out told her NO, lol.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 18th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
Speaking of MIL's, mine wanted us to name this baby Chrysellen if it's a girl. Chrystal for her and Ellen for my mom. My dh flat out told her NO, lol.
My name is Ellen and I vote no on Chrysellen. Actually my mom really wanted me to name my daughter after my grandmother who had just died, whose name was Helen. I thought it was too weird to be "Hi I'm Ellen, and this is my daughter, Helen."
jamieshalon2 likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarazzi40 View Post
I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty name judge-y...BUT no one would ever know it! People choose names for their babies for whatever their reasons are and it's simply not my business to share my opinion with them about it.

I have to say it's probably the teacher in me where that comes from, but I was raised better than to sh*t talk someone's name.

To each his own!

And for the record, Sophia Elizabeth is a beautifully classic name.

Also, my Mother-Out-Law doesn't have any filter when it comes to things like that {or anything else for that matter} and when we named Lily, she was rude about it and I wanted to throat punch her.

Instead, I told her that it was a good thing she was done having babies and didn't have to use it as a name then.
I call my SO's mom and dad "mother and father-outlaw" too! His father started it.
Back to the subject at hand, I love the name Sophia Elizabeth. People drive me crazy sometimes!
jamieshalon2 and mamarazzi40 like this.

April 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People suck.

We mostly kept our names a secret until they kids were born. Might do it again this time since people have no filter.
April 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran
That is why we don't tell anyone our names before hand. I don't want to hear everyone elses opinion and afterwards its too late!!!

April 18th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dislike people that give their opinions in that way, not just about baby names but about everything. Like, first off I didn't ask your opinion, second if you have a negative one keep it to yourself! Not everyone likes the same things that's what makes the world go 'round.

I ESPECIALLY hate when I dye my hair dark (from blonde) and people flat out say...I liked it better blonde. Like, yea ok thanks but its BROWN now..mostly because my hairs damaged and I have no other choice.. ok sorry mini rant over.

But I totally feel ya!
~*Nicole*~ likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People like her are reason #1 we won't reveal the name until the baby is born. I don't need anyone's opinion other than Dh's. We ended up changing Dd's name when I was pregnant because everyone hated our first choice and now I kind of regret it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search