Elimination communication... in brooklyn

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 07:35 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...#ixzz2Qp9pLteW

I can see how this would make sense... maybe at home, in a private, sanitary place. It would be nice to not have the mess/discomfort of a dirty diaper every time. But man, my cat gets more privacy and dignity going to the bathroom than these babies in Brooklyn whose parents are dangling them over trashcans.

If I ever saw this in the sink at a restaurant I frequented, I'd probably tell the manager and if I didn't receive a good response, I'd find somewhere else to spend $. Also to any parents coming to my house - I have a white sofa - diapers are a necessity in Casa Donut! You will be confined to the yard if this happens in my house!
April 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I saw something about that last time. I got pretty interested seeing how Miss Autism loves her diapers. lol Winter wears diapers, but I know her cue for poop. She's been pooping in the potty since she was 5 months, and now she's 14. In that time she's only had a poopy diaper maybe 5 times when we couldn't take her to potty.

Peeing is another matter. We have time to get her to poop, but peeing is too instantaneous.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com

Last edited by Spyctre; April 18th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
April 18th, 2013, 07:47 AM
That is so awesome! It sounds like a good idea and I'll try it at home or when I have access to a public restroom, just not to the icky levels of the parents in this article.
Spyctre likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Umm....that is disgusting. Seriously. Mostly the "catching them before they pee" part. I can understand the pooping, that's a little slower of a process most of the time. If someone came to my house and wanted to dangle their kid over my trash can so they can pee, I'd probably tell them they're a freak show and to get the H out of my house.

That may or may not have something to do with the fact that I'm a little anal when it comes to my house being clean, and I do not have any intentions of my baby making a "pee trail" across my carpet if I can do something to stop it!

Granted, I know kids are messy slobbery, vomity, pee-ey, poopy creatures, but that doesn't mean I'm just gonna let them freeball it around my house so I can watch them like a hawk waiting to catch their poo!

Hahaha this whole thing is making me giggle. What utter ridiculousness!

April 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
haha, freeballin' it.

My nieces don't wear clothes at their own home all the time and I didn't want to be the naggy aunt so I was like, UH, whatever. Since I'd already given them a lot more rules than they're used to at home (but they don't have many rules, and my rules are reasonable - eat at the table, etc). And then I heard one of them ... not sure if JM is going to flag this ... sharted recently. HELL NO. The only time you will not be wearing pants in here is in your bedroom changing or in the bathroom. That's it! I don't even care if I'm the naggy one after that.
jennyrae03 likes this.
April 18th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Kids not wearing clothes is different when they're small enough to still be in diapers. After that, I think they should be clothed. I guess to me it just seems inappropriate to not wear clothes? I mean, my nieces don't wear a shirt at the table if they're eating spaghetti, but beyond that, they stay clothed.

I'd be weirded out just as much as you! lol
April 18th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Yeah, we don't have potties or anything outside. The few times she has pooped in the diaper she was either not done or we were too late to a potty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post
Kids not wearing clothes is different when they're small enough to still be in diapers. After that, I think they should be clothed. I guess to me it just seems inappropriate to not wear clothes? I mean, my nieces don't wear a shirt at the table if they're eating spaghetti, but beyond that, they stay clothed.

I'd be weirded out just as much as you! lol
Our oldest goes naked a lot. I don't love it, but I guess I've gotten used to it. We discovered if she had nothing on her bottom, she'd go in the potty. At first she tried to bring us diapers, but we refused to put them on her. So she takes herself to potty all the time now. If she could only make the connection when she had pants on!

She stays dressed outside of our home. Even in our yard.

April 18th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
EC is not my bag at all. I've read about it a lot since we cloth diapered.
But rock on to moms who have done this!

The restaurant thing is...interesting!
April 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If someone came to my house and wanted to dangle their kid over my trash can so they can pee, I'd probably tell them they're a freak show and to get the H out of my house.
I tried EC for months with my son, but we hadn't heard of it til he was 5 months so it didn't work as nicely with him as I had hoped. First of all, most ECing mommas that I know will not expect other moms to understand, and will not parade their kids around naked in someone else's home. Second of all, when a toilet is available, that is usually the first choice, to help the kid learn that the potty is where your poo and pee go. If it was my house and someone started to take the kids pants off over the trash, I would say "the bathroom is right there, please use the toilet instead."

With Dominic, he had absolutely NO poop cue whatsoever so we hardly ever "caught" the poos, but I kept a log and at times I knew when it was usually around the time that he would poop and it was SOOOOO exciting, like SO exciting seriously, when we would catch both pees and poops in the potty because it is TWENTY TIMES easier to clean than a poopy diaper. He still will pee anytime we hold him over the potty and say "pssss" and he poops on the potty almost every morning if I give him the opportunity. However, we just leave him in his diaper while we are out in public. Sometimes we will use a potty if we are in someone's house, but I would never assume that person is ok with him peeing in their trash, sink, or shower. When he was much younger and learning to pee/poop outside of a diaper, I would catch it wherever was closest, whether that was outside on the grass, in a sink, in the bathtub, or preferably in the toilet. But I would never do it in front of people who were not also ECing.

Honestly, I would love to do it from day 1 with this baby. It teaches them to not be comfortable in a wet diaper, and to let you know the second they have to pee. They don't want to wet or soil themselves, but they get used to it since they are put in diapers from day one. Dominic gets some SERIOUS rashes, so I would love to avoid that with this baby.

I know EC can look and sound REALLY nuts, but when you read a book about it, including all the logic in it and the pros and cons, you might feel a little differently... you don't have to be the radical mom who lets their child go to the bathroom no matter where they are, and once they learn to tell you before they go, which can surprisingly be at just a couple months of age, they also learn to hold it until you can get them to a more appropriate place if possible, or you can tell them "I'm sorry, you will have to go in your diaper and mommy will change you as soon as I can"

Since I didn't start with Dominic til 5 months, which is on the later side, he doesn't really mind when I can't take him to the potty, but he HAS learned to consolidate his pees (he was peeing between 18 and 22 times per day when I first started logging it) so that IF I do offer him a toilet, we have much less laundry (fewer dirty cloth diapers) because he will pee/poop in there it is going to make potty training so much easier hopefully...
Effervescence and soul_donut like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like way too much effort for me but I know a mom here who did it successfully with her daughter.
April 18th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Angela, I hate going to restaurants when I know DD2 will need to go soon! EC makes eating out hard sometimes cause now she's spoiled. lol Want to hear a kid scream, let her poop her diaper!

April 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anybody with my post - that wasn't at all my intention. I honestly think it's really impressive when moms can do something like that successfully. I'm sure it makes potty training a much easier and expedited process! It's just not something I think I could do with my kids.

Again, sorry if I offended anybody.
April 18th, 2013, 10:01 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I knew someone who lived in China for a while and she said she saw this a lot where she was living.

It's not for me, but hey, whatever works for someone.
Allisonjuly likes this.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anybody with my post - that wasn't at all my intention. I honestly think it's really impressive when moms can do something like that successfully. I'm sure it makes potty training a much easier and expedited process! It's just not something I think I could do with my kids.

Again, sorry if I offended anybody.
Ditto! I do think it's neat and I'll definitely give EC a try, but what I was going crazy about was the pooping in sewer drains, trashcans, and the whole 9 yards from the article. You read about these Park Slope mamas that just take the parenting trends too far. Having a drink at lunch at a restaurant with baby in tow, ok. Turning the beer gardens in Brooklyn into stroller friendly kid play parks while hipster parents drink microbrews to the chagrin of regular patrons? Too much. Know what I mean? I read a lot of these articles on STFU parents that just blow my mind out of the Brooklyn area. My BFF who lives in NYC confirmed all these things, says she won't step foot in Brooklyn anymore!
April 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok my two cents. I think I have mentioned this before in another post. First off EC is not for me as I am a working mom and the day care won't even do CDs. BUT in our culture and from where I come from, it is very feasible and everyone does that. We were all potty trained before we were 1. Sometimes before we could even walk. We do not have carpeted floors and India being a third world country it's totally ok for babies to be naked anywhere. Our mom's would always know the cues and pooping and peeing were done in the nearest bathrooms and if travelling it would be in the outdoors on the grass!

The pros? No diaper changes ever and most importantly no diaper rashes ever!! My mom had never seen diaper rash before.

She was horrified when she first saw Lekha's diaper rash. I just advised her to slather on the butt paste. My mom begged me to try to let her be naked. I refused because I couldn't imagine cleaning the carpet in case of an accident (she was starting to crawl by then). We then compromised and used homemade cloth diapers until the rash cleared. But my mom insisted on washing and towel drying her bottom everytime we changed her. She never got a single diaper rash after that. So I do think EC and other methods of early potty training is best if you can handle it and if you can manage to not horrify friends and neighbours.

April 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I'll stick with CDing. That is way more effort than this homeschooling mom of 3 can handle. I like the idea and think it's cool, but not for us.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

April 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not my cup of tea.
April 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not my cup of tea, but I did read an article about how somewhere in Asia (rural China, I believe?) this is actually the norm and kids walk around in chap type pants until they are potty trained. They just pop a squat next a building lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 18th, 2013, 12:51 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not for me either!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Totally get it that it is normal other places.. this article is referencing an affluent area in Brooklyn. This is the place that has a ban on ice cream cones at their city park. I shed a tear for those poor kids!! haha.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search