Gwyneth and her bikinis for children

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Gwyneth Paltrow's Selling Bikinis To Children, But What About The Ads?

What do you think about this? I think Paltrow seems insufferable, based on the contents of her GOOP newsletter (the $450,000 spring "essentials" list, her no-food food diets, etc) but this latest bit just seems really like it's veering into dangerous territory. I can laugh at her reaching out to everyday women with ridiculous wardrobes and diets for adults, but posing children in adult ways wearing adult bathing suits is not cool. I'm in FL so I plan on dressing the baby in a wetsuit kind of top and some bottoms (boy or girl) for the most part to protect them from too much sun exposure. I wouldn't be opposed to bikinis for baby girls, but only if they were functional and not designed with a 20 year old woman in mind. Thick straps, good sun coverage, easy to change a diaper, etc. Not "4 year old wants to look like an adult woman". Ehhh.
April 23rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I hate children bikinis but I also loath child pagents and really anything that tries to make a child look lie an adult just seems so wrong to me IMO
fludderbye likes this.
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

April 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's super weird. That's all I have to say on that subject
Iluvmybabies* likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
um... my little girls certainly wouldn't be wearing that!

April 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I mean, I want that bikini. It is clearly an adult bikini! I think it's cute when mommy and daughter match sometimes, but that particular kind of bikini was designed for sexualized adults, you know? My niece's little pink tankini that ties in the back is just fine!
April 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think bikinis are cute on babies and toddlers because they are chubby. I had them for my dd and the pictures are a crack-up.
soul_donut likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DD had a bikini type swim suit when she was an infant. After that we have stuck to tankinis and one piece suits. These pics are definitely over the top. They are almost posed to cater to a certain group of disturbed individuals who view kids sexually.

April 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think bikinis are cute but they should look like kid swimsuits, not adult model suits. Other than that, I don't know much about Gwenyth Paltrow.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
April 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Super Mommy
Yeah, I don't agree with the way the pics are sexualized. Really eery and sick imo.
April 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hell no. I wont let my toddler dress like a s!ut, attracting pedophiles. That's adult wear, not child wear. Childhood should have some innocence. DH and I were just talking about people who dress their young daughters provocatively (now that we know we're having a girl). Not cool.
April 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a bikini for Dd until she was 2, she was chunky and cute lol. We made a rule of no 2-piece suits after that though because she was turning from a baby to a little girl and Dh felt she needed to be more modest.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

April 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any problem with babies or children wearing bikinis. I have a problem with sicko pervert adults.

That said, I'm lazy and buy DD a rash guard top and bikini bottom. Less sunscreen for me to apply.
April 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wore a bikini when I was a little girl, so I don't think it is weird; however it is really weird to market it to little girls who "want to look older" and to sell adult style suits. I mostly dress my daughter in rash guards now, and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a two piece, but I don't think it is weird in itself.
April 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I used to take kids swimming, and I hated the bikini ones. The look did not bother me as much as how easily the tops and bottoms slipped down during play. It was a constant yell telling several girls to cover back up. My oldest has a shirt and boy short swimsuit. Covers everything. We are fairly pale so I like them covered.

I have seen young girls in boy shorts and no top, but that doesn't bother me like bikinis. Girls have nothing up top, but the bikini tops seem sexualizing.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com

Last edited by Spyctre; April 23rd, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
April 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It depends on the 2 piece, but I'm definitely more comfortable putting potential daughters in tankinis and one pieces.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
April 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraWinter View Post
Hell no. I wont let my toddler dress like a s!ut, attracting pedophiles. That's adult wear, not child wear. Childhood should have some innocence. DH and I were just talking about people who dress their young daughters provocatively (now that we know we're having a girl). Not cool.
^This!
Last summer I was looking for a swimsuit for Alex and ran across some kids bikini's and some of the tops made it look like these had boobs...yuck.

April 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Leah
I tend to agree with the article: I don't mind bikinis per say, but those pictures are definitely too adult. They're striving for high fashion, I guess, but in the way photographers do with adults.

Little kids definitely have times when they want to emulate adults, but even then there should be something childlike and fun about it. Just because a kid wants to play with makeup or wear a bikini - they're still kids and should be seen/portrayed as such, not posing butt out.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
April 23rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran
I only put my little girl in one piece bathing suits.
April 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have never had a girl, so I am not sure how I would feel about a bikini for her. My boys always wore the traditional swimming trunks that came down to their knees or right above it.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
we have 3 girls our oldest is 10 going on 11

DH & I made a decision early on that if you dont want them to wear it at 10-16 they cant wear it at all-

yes noo bikinis, no belly shirts, no short shorts etc-

we def leans towards modesty in this house-

I personally think a little girl, in this day and age, should stay a little girl just because society & the media says its ok for girls to look and dress like ****** doesnt mean i will raise my girls to do so

i think there is a fine line we as parents have to walk to protect our kids esp girls

I mean to offend no one. This is not an attack on anyone. except maybe hollywood & the media LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search