Paternity time off?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Will your SO get paternity time off?
Yes, paternity time is available 15 44.12%
No, right back to work or use vacation days 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 04:30 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No time off here, hes a carpenter and will be right back to work. He might take the 2-3 days off that I'm in the hospital, because he has to watch our other kids, but thats it.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
April 26th, 2013, 06:37 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
No paternity leave.

He can use sick leave and earned leave. He has a lot of this but won't use much. Ill probably have him take a week off.

After the birth of our second child I made him go back to work after a couple of days because all he was doing was playing video games.
I found out from a friend that my friend that had 12 weeks paternity pretty much watched hockey, played video games, and grew a lumberjack beard during his paternity time. Sigh, men.

Ok - it sounds like it's pretty 50/50 w/ you ladies. I hope that DH's company comes around in the future because they truly seem to be behind their peers as far as that benefit is concerned. Maybe for our second. We had a talk last night and decided a week or so was fine, and he'd work from home maybe another day per week than usual as needed (not that I'd have a lot of his attention, but he'd be able to join us for meals, you know?) and he agreed on my plan for having our parents come down in stages after the birth. I feel more at ease now.. Rome is still on! My friends also said they'd come for a weekend and help too and they're chill people so I can't wait to have them come and play with me and the nugget!!
Seasaidh likes this.
April 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Regular
Mine has none, he has to use paid time off for it. Right now he has a week and half but he has 5 months to save up, so maybe he will take 2 weeks. We work at the same company and I don't get paid maternity leave either. I get up to 12 weeks off unpaid and can use whatever pto I have. It's so frustrating!!!! I am upper management and have been here more than 3 years!

STC #2 for 35 cycles, FINALLY pregnant!! IT'S A GIRL!

Payton - 5 Buster- 2
April 26th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Super Mommy
The DH gets 12 weeks paid FMLA which is Family Medical Leave Act that is used for births, deaths, adoptions and other serious accident or injuries per year. He took 7 weeks off with last DS and may take the full 12 weeks this time since it will be so close to the holidays. Our family has not spent a whole Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day with him due to his schedule and the fact he is DWI he is assigned to speacial projects during the holidays to help catch more drunks. We are going to take advantage of his paid time off and the best part is it does not count towards his other sick time or personal leave.

Our Tobianne 10/24/13

DS # 1 Jacob is 7 years old
DS # 2 Austin is 3 years old
April 26th, 2013, 07:58 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveStorm2011 View Post
Same boat as 2 Corinthians! However, since DH is deploying there's a big chance he'll get 0 days :'(
I'm in the same spot as you he deploys shortly before Jacob is due

April 26th, 2013, 08:07 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post
I voted yes, but I kind of don't count. Husband is self-employed as a farmer, so he makes his own hours. However, baby is due during harvest so he may only take a couple days off. He farms with his dad though, so I'm sure his dad will tell him to stay home. (My husband is very driven and motivated, so it's hard to get him to stop working! Lol)
My Dh is self employes as well... (general contractor) so he will take off time as needed.
In quebec there is 50 wks paid leave. Mom has to take 18w, but the rest can be divided how you want.

April 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not even sure honestly. His last job working for the state he took 2 weeks, but I think he could have taken up to 12 weeks unpaid per FMLA. He only has 2 weeks total vacation time at this job, so that won't help us much.
April 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
My Dh will be off likely the day after I have the baby if I am still in the hospital, but usually he is off then and the day I come home and goes back to work the next day.

Since the kids will be in school I have a feeling it will work like this.... day 1 give birth, day 2, DH gets the kids to school, comes to the hospital to get me and take me home, day 3 back and work I get the kids to and from school like usual. If I am lucky maybe day 2 will be a whole day still at the hospital??

October will be full force in fall sports so there is no time off for the kids either... it should prove to me interesting.

April 27th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran
I'm not sure exactly his work gives him, we're trying to figure that out right now. He probably won't take a lot of time off (no more than a week) if it's unpaid. We're going back to his home state for Thanksgiving if things work out, so we're saving vacation time for that. He'll take a flex day when the baby is born.
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
April 27th, 2013, 08:56 PM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question....I still have no idea how DH's company goes about paternity leave, I'm gonna have him find out. I sure need his help since I will be having a c/s.

April 28th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Proud mommy!
He gets leave, but if he wants to be paid for it he has to use vacation I believe.

April 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
karmaissotrue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to karmaissotrue Send a message via Yahoo to karmaissotrue
I get 6 weeks paid through MetLife, then I will use 15 sick days to take me until Jan. I teach so the timing works out perfectly. I'll be off from Oct to Jan and still have at least 11 sick days when I get back off of leave. Plus I have Aflac disability so I'll get a paycheck from them for the first 6 weeks I am out.

THANKS SO MUCH KILIKI FOR THE WONDERFUL SIGGY
April 28th, 2013, 06:47 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonsmom0818 View Post
Mine has none, he has to use paid time off for it. Right now he has a week and half but he has 5 months to save up, so maybe he will take 2 weeks. We work at the same company and I don't get paid maternity leave either. I get up to 12 weeks off unpaid and can use whatever pto I have. It's so frustrating!!!! I am upper management and have been here more than 3 years!
We are the same!! So frustrating!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 29th, 2013, 04:34 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My dh doesn't get paternity leave either. He will have to use a vac day the day I have the baby. Honestly though I am glad that he doesn't because it would be more of a hassle to me to have him home with me, lol. I want it to be just me and the baby for that first 6 weeks so that I can get the rest I want and need. My older kids will be in school all day so I don't have to worry about them from 8 am till 3:30 pm and we will be alone
With this being my 4th baby I am ready for what comes when I come home and I found with the last 2 pregnancies that I just wanted everyone to leave us alone and only come over on the weekends, lol. My mom and gma will watch the older kids while I am in the hosp, so I don't have to worry about them.
I get 6 weeks maternity leave at 50% pay, that sucks, but I guess it is better than no pay.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search