Photography...

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do for photography this time around! With my first we did maternity and newborn pictures, and 1 year pictures with the same photographer. The only thing is that she's upped her prices quite a bit since we've used her. It would be 400$ (session fee and smallest photo collection) bare minimum to do just newborn shots with her and she also lives about an hour away from us.

I've been browsing some other photogs around the area and they are pretty comparable with prices for the most part. I did find another one that I liked and she charges 199 for the session fee for a maternity, newborn, 6 month, and 1 year photo session, which is GREAT! But her prices for digital prints/ordering are higher. Her smallest collection doesn't include any digital copies. But she also does not have a minimum that you can spend, so we could buy 1 or 2 shots from each session, more from the newborn session of course!

So are you planning on doing maternity or newborn shots? And do you know how much you think you'll spend? I'm not sure if I want to do maternity shots for sure,--I'd like to becauseI think it'd be cute with Sawyer, but I know it's not a must-have.

April 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not do maternity at all. I am just not a fan of them. As for newborn, i will most likely take my own. I have read some websites on how to take them and although I am not a good photog, if I take enough I usually end up with one or two that look good enough to frame.

Here is my fav from my DYI photo shoot from Sawyer's first week

Here is my best from 6 months

April 27th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm also kind of on the fence about taking my own. There's tons of tips on Pinterest, we have a dslr camera and its something I'm already interested in doing...

April 27th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Super Mommy
I started doing my own with DS 3, but didn't start right away. Now I think I can do better with this one and can't wait! I am on the fence about having someone do maternity ones for me though since this is our last.
April 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I most likely won't do maternity pics, but I will have someone do newborn pics--it is kind of a one shot thing so i don't wasn't to miss out. My photographer moved, but she comes back to do sessions around the time the baby is due. Doubt it will work out (she sometimes borrows props from friends if needed), but I can hope!

April 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm lucky to be able to do my own. I hate maternity photos, so that works out. But I love taking pics of newborns.

April 27th, 2013, 07:27 PM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I'm planning on doing new born pics I haven't found a photographer yet

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!
April 28th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really lucky to have a good girlfriend from high school who is a pro photographer. So she charges me almost nothing.
My plan for now is to have her take newborn shots and then also family pics at the same time. I'm going to do a two sided Christmas card. One side birth announcement, one side Christmas card.

She did mention maternity shots. I'm not super into them, and I'm not into showing my belly. But I might consider a few shots with my big kids. This will probably be my last pregnancy.
April 28th, 2013, 08:21 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on doing maternity photos and newborn photos - there is a girl around here who is a professional photographer, but somehow (miraculously) doesn't charge an arm and a leg for them! She offers a combo package for maternity/newborn photos, and it is only $250 for both of them. With those she gives you a disc with I think 10 photos for the maternity shots and 20 photos for the newborn ones. I also plan on doing a "grow with me" package with her as well, which is the 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and 1 year photos - with those, she gives you the disc of all the photos she took. I think that package is around $200.

My sister in law has done all of their newborn/infant/family photos with this girl, and my sister had her do their wedding photography. She does an incredible job! I think I am going to ask as part of my baby shower registry for a gift certificate for one of the sessions (my in-laws would probably buy this for us). But even if we don't get a gift certificate, I will still get the photos done!
April 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Jealous, jenny! Those are awesome prices! And maternity pics can be as you want them. You don't have to show your belly... I was thinking it might be nice to have maternity pics with DH and Sawyer because it'd be our "before" baby family shot! I love pregnant bellies though, so maybe I'm not impartial! I saw a super cute silhouette pic with the mom and dad standing together and their first child standing in the middle. so cute!

April 28th, 2013, 10:50 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I'll be doing Maternity pics, and I think I will take my own newborn shots. Not pro but good enough for me to frame I think, I too have my own DSLR camera and I LOVE taking pics!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
Maybe a friend could do your maternity/family before baby? I'm with everyone else about doing my own newborn shots. I had a friend {who is a pro} do Lily's one year shoot and she charged $150 plu a disc of all her pics. She felt strongly that creating a business with affordable pricing for pro pictures was important. They're gorgeous.

I did Lily's 2 year pics at an outdoor garden and love them just as much.

Lighting is the key! You can always find adorable prop ideas online for newbie pics!
April 29th, 2013, 07:16 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
As a photographer I will do the newborn pics myself.

I will not be doing maternity though. I hate the way I look. I had them done by a fellow photog with #6 and LOVED LOVED LOVED them, but not this time around.

I have a really close photog friend here who will be doing birth photography for me though.

April 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to have some maternity ones done. We'll see if it happens though.

I'll be doing my own newborn photos though.

And I *really* would love to have some photograph the birth but those are super expensive so I don't know...

April 29th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't usually do maternity pics because I don't really ever look pregnant. I might feel differently if I would get that round cute belly!

I do my own newborn pictures, I'm an amateur photographer and love taking pictures of babes. It is usually my gift to friends who have just had babies. The few times we have hired photographers, I've had a hard time not being in control or being able to communicate what I want. I usually only do mini sessions with a photographer in our area that I like. She does $60 for a short session with limited poses. We do that for family pictures and so I can get in with the pictures of the kids.

If I were you, I'd look to see if any photographers in your area do mini sessions. It seems to be a good compromise for us.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 29th, 2013, 07:35 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
hopping in from September, where are you located?? i network with a ton of photogs on fb maybe one of them is more reasonable??

I am in dallas, and i do photography mostly as a hobby but i do some shoots for others, so i'll definitely be doing my own though i'm debating over having someone do maternity photos for me as i've never done them professionally.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
April 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I will do my own maternity ones if I decide to do them at all. My bff is a pro photographer and she will most likely do my newborn ones. She doesn't charge me anything for the digitals and I have the ones I want printed out. She did some for me in November of last year and they were awesome.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 29th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensma View Post
hopping in from September, where are you located?? i network with a ton of photogs on fb maybe one of them is more reasonable??

I am in dallas, and i do photography mostly as a hobby but i do some shoots for others, so i'll definitely be doing my own though i'm debating over having someone do maternity photos for me as i've never done them professionally.
I'm in Columbus, Ohio. Quite a ways from Dallas, but maybe you've got some connections!

April 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll be doing family photos once baby is around 6-8 months. I may do my own newborn ones though...

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
April 30th, 2013, 08:46 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHoot View Post
I'm in Columbus, Ohio. Quite a ways from Dallas, but maybe you've got some connections!
Ohio isn't AS far away from Delaware. I think I do a pretty good job. LOL Wanna come for a visit? you know you are DYING to go to the beaches here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search