OT-life insurance? Help!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Irshtripletsmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Julie
So I am finally getting life insurance for myself and I had the health exam where they take blood and urine yesterday. I really want to get SO life insurance since he is the bread winner right now. However, he smokes, so the rates would be way too high. I want him to quit anyway, but this might be a bigger incentive for him to do so since if he does we will be able to get him life insurance. Anyway, I really don't think he can do it cold turkey. But the life insurance agent thinks that if he is using nicotine gum the health exam might still show him as a smoker. Does anyone have experience with this?

April 30th, 2013, 05:13 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
hmm, I am not sure what to tell you there. I know our life insurance here at work doesn't even ask about smoking, nor do we have to take a health exam. I have heard that those drugs that help you quit smoking are extremely dangerous. I have had a few friends at work that tried them. I can imagine that cold turkey would be hard for him. I wish I could help more.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 30th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Julie
Thanks, yeah I know some insurances won't ask health questions, but someone recommended Liberty Mutual to me. I feel nicotine gum is not a good way to quit since you're then hooked on the gum, but I also think that it's gotta be a little better than actually smoking, so whatever it takes for him to get off cigs ya know?
jamieshalon2 likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 05:24 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Yeah I would imagine the gum HAS to be better than taking smoke into your lungs several times a day. Maybe once he is just on the gum alone and not smoking at all he can try to wean himself from the gum, like start out substituting one piece a day at first for a regular piece of gum for a week and working his way up from there. Not sure if it will work, but it may.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
April 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Im of no help. my DH has life insurance through work, he didn't have to go through an exam or anything?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search