OT Help! ANTS!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 07:39 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
UGH! I wanna scream!

I swear my kitchen is the CLEANEST most disinfected kitchen EVER! I have bleached every surface. Cleaned and reaaranged all the cupboards, sprayed bug killer and STILL having issues.

They are only on the one side of my kitchen, none at all in the food pantry or around the fridge.

What am I doing wrong?

Anyone have a sure fire way to get rid of these stupid things?!

We have sprayed all along the house and windows outside too.

May 1st, 2013, 07:42 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
We had that problem last year. I never was able to totally get rid of them. It is so horrible. I hate those little boogers. I swear I think sometimes we live in antville. You can go in the back yard and see huge colonies of them down by the forest edge.
If you find a sure fire way to get rid of them please share, lol. I tried the corn meal thing I googled too last year and that didn't work for me btw.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
OrangeHope's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Windex helps kill them, my dad used to do that. They might have a nest close by outside, try to find the source.

May 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Its driving me NUTS cuz im sort of a neat freak to start with so I am feeling like for some reason we are disgusting. And my house smells like bleach so who knows.

May 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used dilute soapy (palmolive dish washing soap)water on the area that they liked to hang around and wiped it down and never washed/wiped it with clean water after that. I make sure not to put food directly on that area of the counter top because I know its got soap on it. They haven't returned!! I didn't expect that work...but apparently they dont like the soap!!

May 1st, 2013, 09:38 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I had them in my bathroom. I couldn't figure out what in the heck they wanted in the bathroom. We even got to the point that we stored the tooth brushes and toothpaste in the toy room which is the room beside the bathroom. I know in the past when I lived in a few apartments before marriage and kids I used to just set off a bug bomb, which of course doesn't do too much good when your neighbors have them still, lol. I feel kind of antsy about all those chemicals now that I have kids in the house though.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Double post

Last edited by Allisonjuly; May 1st, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
May 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Terro gel traps work the best. I learned this from the locals when we lived in Hawaii and I had to battle 5 different kinds of ants.

Last summer I had an extra tough colony here in Georgia. The terro would work but a few days later they would be back. so I got out the big guns...Borox powder. To bugs it's like broken glass. (I take it camping too). Find where they are getting in and block the entry with the powder.
May 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You too? I have an ant infestation on my computer desk that showed up a week ago. Not in the kitchen where you would think they would be. Okay, I occasionally snack at my laptop, but I don't see any crumbs around here. What is worse is the ladybug infestation in our house. I don't know how to get rid of them.
May 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I live in a woodsy area and get an ant infestation every year - it doesn't matter how clean (or not lately ) my house is, they come anyway. I get these cheap ant traps from Walmart - can't quite remember what they're called, but the ants eat the bait, then carry it out to share with their little friends. You can see the difference in a few days, then they should be completely gone in a week or so. They don't come back either - not until the following year.
May 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
Super Mommy
We get them too. I once had the exterminator come and he sprayed for about $75. That worked and they didn't come back for a long time. They are back again this year though. We've been spraying ourselves but they tend to find another entrance and come right back. Driving. Me. Nuts. I may call the guy to come back out and spray. They come anyway for the yard because we get fire ants outside. Yuck!
May 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Little black ants? They're after water. We normally get them every year in the bathroom or kitchen. We watch to see where they are coming from, and we spray the entrances with ant poison at night. Wipe it clean the next morning. Normally only need to do it once a year.

It's not a cleanliness issue. They're just thirsty. I know one lady near me that lets them take advantage of her washroom sink. Says they don't sting so she's fine with it. Her house is immaculate. I have a feeling if they were in her kitchen she'd get some killer, though. lol
May 1st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
Water??? I guess that makes sense on the bathroom ones. I never understood what they were after there either, but totally makes sense. I'd gladly leave a water bowl outside for them if they'd leave my house alone!
May 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I swear I could've written this! And the one side of my kitchen they are on is around the sink so the water thing totally makes sense!
May 1st, 2013, 11:50 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I think we used Raid at the doors and garlic inside...someting about it they dont like...cleared it up.
May 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
You too? I have an ant infestation on my computer desk that showed up a week ago. Not in the kitchen where you would think they would be. Okay, I occasionally snack at my laptop, but I don't see any crumbs around here. What is worse is the ladybug infestation in our house. I don't know how to get rid of them.
See, I don't get it....what is attracting them?

When I went and did a hard clean of my kitchen I threw out open things even if the ants weren't in there. I found there were a bunch around a bottle of corn syrup that had some of the sticky stuff on the bottom we got that all cleaned and it seemed they were gone then a few days later back! And it has me so confused as they are only on the one wall/counter. The only time I have seen any in the sing was when the kids left bits of cereal in there.

I have seen a few upstairs in the bathrooms which has me all confused cuz there isnt any sugar up there?

GRRRRR

May 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
When bugs keep reappearing like that (or if they're cockroaches, unavoidable here even in clean houses in Florida) I break down and call the pest company. They usually have a guarantee, too - if they come out and you're still seeing bugs they usually come back for free. I went BEZERK because I found a cockroach in the espresso machine and now I don't even MESS AROUND - I call the pest company and have them come and murder everything in the house. Good luck to you! Pests are pesty!!
May 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
knock on wood.... I tried using jelly mixed with borax and the first day there were swarms of those nasty things in the 2 little containers.... today I see only a few.... so hopefully those stupid buggers ate it took it back to their friends and they all exploded!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search