BTDT: Showers?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By sweety_pie
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 1 Post By Allisonjuly

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 09:00 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you have a baby shower for baby number 2+?
I figured I wouldn't need to think about that as I don't need much and I had 3 showers last time. Also planning on CD.
Got invited to a shower for baby #2 (her situation is different so wasn't surprised she was having a shower). Then I remembered other friends having showers for #2.
It wasn't the norm years ago (at least where I have lived), but seems to happen a bit more now.

May 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I am not sure. With #1 I never had a shower, with #2 my co-workers from work had a small get together after he was born, then with #3 my co-workers also did a shower/get together at work an ppl mainly did a money tree thing an some small gifts. My mom and oldest daughter want to have a baby shower this time but I haven't said yes or no. Also there is almost a 6 year age difference between #2 and #3 so we didn't have baby stuff anymore.

May 1st, 2013, 09:23 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My family is a firm believer in a shower for every baby. They see it as celebrating the baby not for the mom. I have had a shower for each one. This is actually the first shower that my mom is getting to throw for me and she is super excited about it. The other ones were thrown by different aunts of mine.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In my case our baby showers are a blend of western and eastern kinds...we have a baby shower for every baby. We do not register for gifts and guests are not expected to bring expensive big ticket items...most of them bring gift cards for small amounts or smaller baby items with gift reciepts....I am sure I will have one. All of my friends here did You could have one and mention abt your thoughts on gifts on the invite? Just to celebrate baby...if you feel bad about your friends or family having to spend, I'd say you can even take up the food and other expenses - this is what we do anyways.
Effervescence likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I had one for #1 a boy.... my mom and BFF and her mom put it on for me. and then I did have one for #2, a girl... it was a surprise after she was born.

Thats it though.

I would LOVE to have a shower this time around. Kinda like its the last, lets celebrate. I do NEED stuff, but I would rather celebrate the baby. But we will not be having one.

May 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had shower for kid 1. Friends asked if I wanted a shower for 2, but I didn't feel comfortable having another one.
I'm having a "sprinkle" this time. Just dinner with the girls and a few small gifts.

We might have a BBQ after the baby is born to celebrate it. Or just try and book the Baptism quickly since we will throw a party for that.
Anitha likes this.
May 1st, 2013, 10:42 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a shower for #1 and #2 but won't this time lol I just don't like showers, happy to not have one!
Allisonjuly likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

Last edited by sweety_pie; May 1st, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
May 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
#1 My moms horse club threw one after he was born to meet the baby and celebrate her first grandchild.

#2 I belonged to two small moms groups. The first threw one while I was pg. The second one I missed because I was at the hospital having the baby. They called to find out why I wasn't there yet and dh said "she just had the baby!"

#3 Nothing

#4 Dh's co-workers threw a surprise one for him! He didn't get it and saw #4 on the cake and said "Brett Favres number!" (Packers fan) One of the gifts was a roll of duct tape for when baby cries

#5 I don't know if I will get one this time or if dh's new office will throw one.
May 1st, 2013, 11:47 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
I had a shower for my 1st and again for my 2nd. They were 10 years apart and for different genders. We won't have one this time because we're having another girl and need nothing.

I'm thinking that we may throw a meet the baby party {excuse to get together with friends} after she comes!
May 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran
my sis-n-law had one for both her kids, but her kids are 8 years apart, she didn't have baby things anymore.
i had one for my son. i don't really wanna have one this time because my family is just ugh and i don't have friends, but i don't have baby things either. mine will be almost 13 years apart. i'm hoping my sis-in-law will pass a few things down to me, her son just turned 1, but i'm not counting on a lot. my plan has been to just buy everything myself.

http://www.gofundme.com/Valentina
May 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had a baby shower and I wonder what the experience would be like. Aunt in law asked MIL to throw me one and she said no, flat out. They don't believe in having showers for any child except #1 or you change baby mamas and this is HER first...And of corse I came with 2 already so no shower for me. I'm sort of bummed and relieved at the same time though. Social situations where I'm the center of attention and I don't exactly mesh well.
Allisonjuly likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
May 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
Super Mommy
Yes for #2 and #3, but they were from different sets of co-workers since I didn't work at those same places before. Now with this one, I have no idea since I am still with the same group of people as #3. I doubt it, and don't expect one.
May 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes as a couple of you mentioned I never wanted one because I don't like social situations where I'm the center of attention. When all little girls dream of wearing a white dress and walking down the aisle with all eyes on them it sounded like torture to me. Dh and I eloped
FishermansWife4 likes this.
May 1st, 2013, 04:13 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one at work and with friends and family for # 1. With # 2 I just had one at work. I could have asked for one probably but I didn't feel right.

In the last 7 years it seems more popular to have one for each kid. I think it is good to celebrate each kid.

This time we are having one. It is Josh's first biological kid and his mom's ONLY biological grandchild. Plus I have nothing except for what I have recently bought. I did not expect to have more than two children.

I'm excited to have a baby shower (or 2 this time ) but they will be coed because I love parties but I don't like being the only focus or center of attention.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 1st, 2013, 04:48 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have always heard "no" for #2, but personally I think it depends on what gender it is and spacing. My daughter is not yet three, and we saved all our baby stuff, so I don't really need anything except maybe clothes if it is a boy. It would be fun to have a small party with friends to celebrate, no gifts though.
May 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had one for my first. For my second, I wanted to have a "Welcome Baby" party with friends and family, I wanted to have a BBQ and asked my MIL if we could do it at her house because she has a big house and a nice deck and yard. She totally misunderstood.. well really I think it was a case of selective hearing. She gets things in her head about how it should be and that's that. So, while I had envisioned a BBQ with my whole family and friends, and no gifts, she basically arranged a baby shower with all of her older friends! It was really quite awkward. She said she was upset that she hadn't gotten to participate in #1's shower (we were kind of far away, so she came but didn't have a hand in the planning) so she wanted to plan the shower. It was a luncheon with baby shower games and the whole nine yards, and I didn't know anyone there, they were all elderly women. She wouldn't invite any men, she specifically said to me that things like that are for women only, and she insisted on leaving out the "no gifts" portion of the invites. The whole thing was really weird and awkward. Although I do appreciate her efforts to help me celebrate, it just wasn't "me" at all if you KWIM. It would have been really nice if it were a first baby, but for the second baby it just seemed off to me. Showers for a second baby are okay, but the way she did this one was just... I dunno, weird, if that makes sense? And a few people did make comments to her about it being for a second baby, she was pretty upset about that.

This baby will also have a welcome baby party, but I will throw it and do it my way I just want something to recognize the fact that our family is growing. A baby is something to be celebrated, and I think family and friends ought to be a part of that joy. I have seen people do diaper showers or book themed showers where guests bring a favorite children's book, I have always thought those were cute ideas for #2+. I think I will have a Tapas dinner party since this little one will be born when it is cold here, everyon bring a tasty dish to share and we'll just eat drink and be merry about the new little miracle in our lives

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search