Inductions

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Super Mommy
#1 and #2 were both born on their due dates, on their own. #1 was a 4 hour labor and #2 was a 5 hour labor... Both were super easy! For #3 I was induced a week early. I was having a lot of back pain, already took off on maternity leave and wanted to make sure I had time after the baby was born to spend with him before I went back to work. With this one, I figure I will take off work 2 weeks before I am due. I have this fear of water breaking at work and them calling an ambulance... Anywho, I will probably be induced if I make it up to my due date. I don't really care what others due, if they are induced or not. SIL was induced so the baby could be born on 12/12/12, which I thought was silly, but it never bothered me. I am not particularly crunchy when it comes to pregnancy but tend to get crunchy after they are here. LOL
May 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to clarify that I don't have anything against inductions in general - mine was very necessary and most are. This time if I get induced I am definitely getting the epidural. My labor was fast and PAINFUL. I didn't even have pitocin, just the cervical riping gel.

I meant to add though that I think there are some unnecessary ones. I know my sister-in-law convinced the doctor to induce her a few days before her due date.

Last edited by Wren; May 2nd, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
May 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been induced once with 6 babies, & it happened to me a medically necessary induction for the last one. I do believe that inductions lead to a higher rate of intervention & C-sections, because if a baby is not ready to come out, it just wont work.
So unless its medically necessary again, I wont be having one.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3, DD November 2013
May 3rd, 2013, 04:41 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think millions of people benefit from intervention. I also think that some drs are very quick to step in at times because those interventions make things more convenient.

This is how I feel. I actually heard an ad from the state of Oklahoma on the radio yesterday (I live 10 minutes from the Texas/Oklahoma border) urging women to educate themselves about elective inductions ESPECIALLY before your EDD because it can cause so many otherwise unnecessary interventions to occur and be harmful to your baby. Many women around here are induced starting at 38 weeks for the mothers and doctors convenience. The thing is you EDD can be off up to two weeks (because many women don't chart or know exactly when they got pregnant) so you could be really inducing at 36 weeks...

Someone also mentioned their moms labor stalling and so they had to have interventions. I am currently reading Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth and it talks about something called a sphincter law. Apparently a woman's body can cause it self to close back up when put in an uncomfortable situation (kind of like it's hard to pee in front of people lol) and it was actually listed in old medical books from the turn of the century as a reason why doctors needed to be kind and comforting to their patients, never yelling at them to push, and never making them seem uncomfortable or rushed. It might not have been the case with your mom but I find it interesting so I thought I'd post it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

May 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have had both good and bad experiences with induction, and then I have also had them all natural too.

If your body is ready to go and your baby is good to go and all it takes is say breaking your water to get going. I say sure.

But inductions that take days and make for a higher risk of a csec. No thanks.

For me I would prefer to go on my own, but with my first 3, I was over due walking around at 5 CMs for weeks, they finally bright me in and broke my water and thats all it took.

May 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Jamie, I have some pre-e signs, too. So early for them! I'm a little worried. My last bp reading was 140/80. I'm normally 110/50ish. I just hope if this child is early, I can bake her till 30 weeks.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
May 6th, 2013, 06:09 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Me too Arwen. I made it almost to my EDD with Logan, but I didn't start with symptoms till I was closer to 27/30 weeks. it really does scare me that it is starting a little sooner this time.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran
I was induced with my first and wish I would have waited until labor happened naturally so that I could have the experience of rushing to the hospital and labor starting on its own! I used to work for a WIC office and saw lots of moms that had to have c-sections after labor didn't progress while being induced so I do think that doctors are sometimes too quick to suggest inducing. Now that I have a young son at home, I can't say I would be totally opposed to doing another induction though, especially if I go past my due date. We do not have any family nearby so it would be great to plan ahead and make arrangements for someone to watch our son.
May 9th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just saw this research and it made me think of our discussion:

ACOG - Study Finds Adverse Effects of Pitocin in Newborns

It looks like there are some direct side effects to infants of using pitocin, separate from the reasons leading to induction. Nothing horrible that would cause doctors not to use it when medically necessary, but another caution against using it electively.
May 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Interesting article Wren. I'm not surprised, honestly. Although my babies were both fine, it is a drug so I can see how that would negatively affect some babies.

Also, I want to add that my first doctor would not induce me until I was late. My second doctor didn't seem to care much about any of it. He was my least favorite delivery doctor (I always saw different people during pregnancy than who delivered).

This time my doctor won't induce until a minimum of 39 weeks.

I have a feeling that the doctor who delivered Sophia (2nd) probably had women and babies with less than favorable outcomes as opposed to my current and first doctor. He just seemed like that kind of doctor. He also was going to give me an episiotomy when I didn't need one (that is my one absolute rule - don't f*****ing cut me!). I had to be very forceful with him WHILE pushing and in PAIN so he wouldn't cut me. Some doctors just don't really have the patients' best interest at heart

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Being my first its helpful to read this stuff, I had no idea there were so many inductions. I was born two weeks late (and weighed 10 Ibs 5 1/2 ounces), guess they didn't induce in those days since it wasn't treated like a big deal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search