Convertible Car Seat instead of Infant Car Seat?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *Lana*
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By Lotsakids
  • 1 Post By *Lana*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 08:12 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone ever use a convertible car seat the whole time? Did you regret it or did it work out great?

I have to buy car seats for 4 cars. $75 each for 3 extra bases, when I can get the convertible I would use for $50 more and it would be good for several years???
I was going to buy 1 extra base, an infant seat and then 2 convertible seats (for the less used vehicles). I hate carrying the infant seat anyway. Now I'm thinking of getting 4 convertible car seats.

May 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I used a convertible car seat for Winter, and the only problem I had was how large it is. We have nothing but large cars, but I'm pretty much kissing the dashboard when she's behind me. She can't be behind DH because he's too tall. It's always me. lol I'm getting an infant seat this time just to enjoy some legroom.

We always move our car seats. Why not just buy a couple and move as needed?
May 1st, 2013, 08:25 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Would it be easier just to have a couple of bases & move them around?

I've had infant capsules for most of mine. With number 5 we switched in to an 0-4 reversable around 3-4 months, & it was a giant PITA in my opinion. Having to wake him up to put him in to the pusher when we were out & about, & then if he'd fallen asleep on the way home having to wake him up & get him out of the seat.
I much prefer infant capsules, but that's just me!
*Lana* likes this.

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
May 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
We always move our car seats. Why not just buy a couple and move as needed?
Most of the time there is advanced notice with who is picking up, but there have been several occasions where it is a last minute change. My parents used to only have one seat, but when it was a short notice thing my dad would have to go get the other car, etc. My house, the sitter and my parents are all within 2.5 miles, so it is no big deal if one of them picks up (or my daughter asks for one of them to pick her up) plus my dad will be babysitting 3 days a week starting on the Fall (he does 2 days a week now). It would be easier to not put one in DH's car than in both my parents cars as DH works a lot.
I do have to say, my dad is pretty good at getting the seats in himself!

May 2nd, 2013, 03:50 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will definitely be buying an infant seat, I just think its much easier when baby is tiny.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
May 2nd, 2013, 04:01 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I agree, to me it is just easier. Plus when my kids fall asleep in the car I don't want to lift them out to wake them and bring them in the house. I want to be able to pick up the whole seat and let them sleep for longer and give me some "rest" time.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
You are keeping Graco in business with those car seats! But i get it. We don't have family here (yet) so we're buying one carseat, two bases. BOOM. I hope that the carseat after the infant carseat can fit on the same base, but I'm not holding my breath.
May 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I prefer to use the convertible seat over the infant seat. While the infant seat is great for popping in and out of the car... if I am out shopping or something the infant seat takes up SO much space and is a pain. Thats where my moby wrap comes in and helps me out way more.

My babies seem to HATE the infant seat till the head rest thing is out, so for me if I am out the regular carseat and a moby work much better.

May 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
As of now, I am going to go with 2 convertible seats (I think I'm going to do the MySize 70 by Graco). I do extended rear facing, so this will allow that as well as forward facing to 70#. That will last several years.
I picked out the infant seat, which isn't much less than buying 2 convertible seats--but I would probably get a Britax convertible for my car, so that is more than a Graco convertible. If I I find a good deal on the Britax convertible, I may scrap the infant seat idea. I stopped using it when my DD was 6-7 months old as I was not using it to carry her in anyway.
I know it's early, but the car seat decision was my biggest thing I have to do. With DD I picked the infant seat because I liked the pattern of the seat. After that one, I spent much more time deciding on car seats and it is a bonus if I like the color/pattern.

May 3rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We drive a lot, so for me, it is best to have a moveable seat (infant carseat) so if baby is asleep I can bring her inside without waking. Plus it fits in the stroller easy, so for me, although it is expensive, it is worth it.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our infant seat was back ordered when zoey was born so we used the convertable for 2 weeks. I was very happy when the infant seat arrived...I actually just left the seat in the car so I didnt have to lug it around...unless we went into a restaurant or put her in the stroller. We bought 2 extra bases with it.
Also, in winter I found it easier as I didnt havr to put a jacket on baby to go outside, and then take it off to strap baby in....

May 3rd, 2013, 05:41 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I miss the convenience of the infant seat!L it's so nice when they are locked into something. it does get heavy, but I think the a I,it's to take them in and out, sleeping or not is worth it! We have a Britain convertible now for a sawyer and I love it. But I will still use an infant seat for the first year.

May 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I do and LOVE it!! I really dislike infant carriers. I wear my babies most the time while out, and I found it was WAYYYY cheaper to just use the convertible the whole time. My 4yo is STILL in the same one he was in at birth. Talk about saving money!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post
As of now, I am going to go with 2 convertible seats (I think I'm going to do the MySize 70 by Graco). I do extended rear facing, so this will allow that as well as forward facing to 70#. That will last several years.
I picked out the infant seat, which isn't much less than buying 2 convertible seats--but I would probably get a Britax convertible for my car, so that is more than a Graco convertible. If I I find a good deal on the Britax convertible, I may scrap the infant seat idea. I stopped using it when my DD was 6-7 months old as I was not using it to carry her in anyway.
I know it's early, but the car seat decision was my biggest thing I have to do. With DD I picked the infant seat because I liked the pattern of the seat. After that one, I spent much more time deciding on car seats and it is a bonus if I like the color/pattern.
I got our Britax off Amazon. They do have great deals with free shipping often.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search