Two heartbeats at 16wk appt...update and ?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7
  • 1 Post By cooper1414

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been Mia for a little while, just been super busy, but just thought I'd give y'all an update and see what y'all think!!

Dh and I went to the dr yesterday for my 16 week appt. This is my third pregnancy and it feels like the worst by far. I am 33, so I'm older and also weigh more at pre-pregnancy weight, 10 lbs more than dd(5yr old) and 20 lbs heavier than ds(2yr old). My first tri-mester was miserable, I'm starting to feel better, but had a lot of m/s(no vomiting), and pain or uncomfortableness usually felt much later on. I feel a lot bigger, but I'm not gaining much if only a couple lbs total, but I can't eat much. Dr didn't say anything yesterday about my measurements, but for not gaining much if any, I look big IMO. Anyways, on to my question, at my 12 wk appt, dr had a hard time finding the heartbeat, but finally found it on my lower left abdomen and it was faint. Same with this week, but after we heard it, she still moved the Doppler around and found a stronger heartbeat on the right side of my belly probably 5-6 inches away. She moved it back to the other one and it was still there and faint then she kinda smirked and I asked her if that was two babies. She said she thought it was just one and a boy, but she didn't sound or look confident. Hubby and I were laughing and crying cuz we didn't know what to think. I have an US scheduled for the 16th of may. Oh, and I'm not sure what the hr's were on either side, but I know it wasn't my hb and she didn't say what they were either. Just awkward and weird. I have two weeks to wonder tho!! Has anyone else had an experience like this and if so what was the outcome? I've had two kids already and never heard an echo of a hb. Also, there are identical twins in dh family and non-fraternal on my side. ???????help please!!

May 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can hear my baby's hb in several locations in my abdomen. Usually I'll find one place where it's really strong, and then several other places where it's "whooshier." But there's just one baby in there.

August 2012 December 2012
May 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The U/S will be able to confirm, although sometimes one can "hide" behind the other or so I've read. That's some exciting stuff I'll be interested to see if there's two in there!
curlimama05 likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Identical twins are not hereditary. I'm guessing if she thought twins she would have scheduled the u/s sooner?

You could post this on the multiples board and see if anyone there has experienced this.
May 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh wow, that is pretty neat. I can't wait to hear if there are actually 2 babies in there.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonjuly View Post
Identical twins are not hereditary. I'm guessing if she thought twins she would have scheduled the u/s sooner?

You could post this on the multiples board and see if anyone there has experienced this.
I looked through all the boards and couldn't find it, maybe I looked over it by chance???

May 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I get a major echo with this baby on my home doppler and my docs and so far only one baby at my 12wk u/s
5 time HG survivor, AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 01/11/05, Kaiah 7 1/2 07/1/06,
Kayda 6 01/12/08, Katara 2 02/10/12
Korra 10/10/13
May 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't want to get my hopes up and really trying not to overthink it. Bad thing is, I've always wanted twins!! My us is sooner than I've ever had, we usually have it at 20 wks. Idk, I'm just all mixed up, lol.

May 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had that on Saturday for the first time. I found it in its usual spot...Then again, just as strong/loud on the other side, and by the time I moved it back to the first side again the heart rate was different by about 10bpm. Had an ultrasound a few hours later and there's is only one.

May 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran
At my last prenatal appt the doctor went and checked for the heartbeat, found one heartbeat and then stopped looking. Since I know I am having twins, I asked him if he would look for the other heartbeat and he said it is really hard to distinguish 2 heartbeats with a doppler and that with one baby you can hear the same heartbeat all over the belly.
May 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Super Mommy
Sounds exciting! I have never had that either, but you'll find out soon!
allysmomma likes this.
May 2nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
I am excited, but just trying not to think about it!!

May 3rd, 2013, 03:33 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Craziness! Nothing like having you on. A cliff hanger. My doc office would have brought the scanner in right away and probably sent me for a scan at the hospital.

Did she measure your belly? I would think your uterus would be measuring extra big if there were 2.

As for twins running on DH side it had no effect on you. Twins has to run on the maternal side only. Your mom, your moms mom and so on down the line. Like if say your grandpa was a twin it doesn't have that heretitory change in the equation. This is for fraternal twins of course. Identical are a random thing.

My hubby is a twin and his twin sisters have twins. But our chances of twins are not increased. His nieces on the other hand, oh yes they are

Other things can increase chances of twins too like fertility meds and having several children already.

I have done a lot of looking into it as I have kinda been afraid of having twins. Hahaha

May 3rd, 2013, 04:56 AM
I was looking at signs of twins last night...why? I have no clue, but I have several signs, but I'm wondering if my fatigue is caused by not having the desire to eat much and hardly any meat? Possibly anemic???? I was slightly at the end of my last pregnancy! I feel huge, but she didn't say much of anything about it or my weight, so maybe I'm over-reacting...I kinda knew ahead of time that twins don't run on my side, but I've had this hunch that something is just different this go around, I think it's cuz I'm older...it'll drive me crazy til my u/s!!! Lol

May 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Thank you guys for your posts. She did schedule my U/S but said they are scheduling out a ways, so that is why I didn't cause a fuss, but It's just different this time. I feel like the stretching and hip hurting is far worse now than it's ever been, then to be super exhausted when I'm at work(I sit most the time anyhow) and want to pass out mid day. I want to know like yesterday, but I am trying to be patient and talking myself out of being pg with twins. Also, I've only had 3 appt's so far 8 wks, she didn't even try to hear the hb, 12 weeks, where she found the hb on my lower left side, but barely found it after searching all over, then 16 wks (2 days ago) where the faint one on my left side was found and then a strong one on my mid right side. I've been wearing maternity clothes since about 9-10 wks and look like i'm 6 months preggo, but have only gained maybe a lb or two. When I get hungry, I'm starved, but I can't eat much at all ( which is never been the case before) also, ever since being preggo this time, I've had this weird uncomfortable feeling like you feel when you are about 8-9 months and the baby feels like it's sitting in your throat...I have that all the time, it's subsiding some, but it's horrible. I even knew when I implanted b/c I was extremely sick all day that day and have never been the nauseous type or m/s type, but this time it's been bad. These are all hunches, I know, but it's just different than my first two, by far!! Lord, help me be patient!! I'm going crazy here, can anyone tell? lol

May 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I went from feeling like this to totally not feeling pg at all and no baby movement. Not that I felt it everyday. However, yesterday and several times b4 I've got that shortness of breathe and heart racing feeling...isn't it to early for that? I'm pulling at straws I believe!!!

May 6th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Like Jenn I know a lot about twins because my mom is a fraternal twin and my best friend has them.

I was afraid of having them this time because my van only seats 7
May 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I would be ecstatic, only thing is, it's my 3rd pregnancy, so I already know what to expect, lol, unlike having twins the first go around and not knowing any better. I've always wanted twins, I'm just trying to stay calm and not get my hopes up. Thanks for the encouragement.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search