Birthing Classes?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Allisonjuly

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 07:51 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a first time mom, my doctor suggested that my husband and I attend a birthing/Lamaze class, which is about 5 weeks long meeting once a week in the 7th month or so. I guess I haven't really discussed it with my husband yet, I just kind of assumed he would come with me.

I brought this up to my mom last night, in front of my husband and other family members, and my mom was like "You don't need a stupid birthing class. Once you're in labor, that all goes out the window." And continued on with several like comments.

So I have to ask...do you plan on taking a birthing class? Or have you in the past? Are they beneficial at all?

I would have to take time off of work each week to attend, since they are scheduled on a day that I work. I don't want to waste my time going if they're not any big deal.

Advice please!
May 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We took one with our first baby when we were both 18 lol I honestly thought the same, its just a waste of time, and a joke. lol But it wasn't bad. I never used any of the tips I learned during my first birth though. During my second one we never took any class, and I hadn't even thought about the breathing techniques and stuff I learned with the first, until my nurse (best nurse ever) showed me how to breath proper. It was a life saver, made me focus and concentrate on the pain and not just whine and cry. After I remember thinking OMG the breathing stuff actually WORKS!! Anyways I think its worth it the first time around, you don't have anything to lose for sure.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

May 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took a class with our first. Honestly, I did think it was a huge waste of time. The only useful thing that came out of it was the hospital tour at the end. If I could've just done the tour without the class, I would have opted for that. But I also have medical training and am very familiar with what happens during childbirth, the possible positions, what is going to happen, what the mom should do, what medication options are, etc. For first time parents who aren't already familiar with that stuff, then perhaps it might be worth it. But I also thought the L&D nurses were super helpful... like, for example, I had one item on my birth plan: epidural. Get me an epidural, and I don't care what else happens. But DD (my second child) came very fast and I didn't get a chance for an epidural. The nurses walked me through how to breathe through labor, and it turned out just fine, even without having taken classes teaching me that stuff. So if the L&D nurses are good, you probably don't need any classes at all.

The class i DID find very helpful was the breastfeeding class. It taught several different nursing positions, so when I got to the hospital I at least had some clue what I was supposed to be doing. I still used the help of the nurses and lactation consultants, but I felt like having at least heard all the info once before was helpful, so when I heard it again at the hospital it made more sense. And back to the L&D nurses, they were also really helpful with breastfeeding tips. One of them sat there with me and made sure the baby was latching, helped get everything into position, etc. So I think I would've been OK with just the nurse and without having any classes at all.

August 2012 December 2012
May 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kind of agree with your mom. I maybe learned a couple of helpful things about different pain management options. The lady doing the class was a complete chatterbox who would go off on tangents. So I think we only practiced breathing for 5 minutes, twice total. None of it particularly helped during labor. Our hospital also offered a few one-on-one classes with a nurse that covered breastfeeding and bathing the baby and a few other baby care issues. I thought that was really helpful.
May 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Julie
I actually found the class informative. If you want to labor at home for awhile you will need to have some breathing techniques shown to you. Your husband will also be informed of how to help you breath and he can learn what to expect. My hospital had an aanesthesiologist come to the class and explain the epidural and you were able to ask her questions, which was helpful. If you're planning on no medication I would definitely do more planning for that , and not rely only on the class. Unless it's specifically a natural childbirth class, they usually teach you all about labor and birth, not just how to deal with the pain.

May 6th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I had a different experience. I liked ours. My DH came along. Not every class was 100% imformative, but we did learn alot. Husband as well.

The different stages of labor, diffrent techniques to use while in the early, what to expect, changes in the body leading up to labor. Im not a shy person, so I liked having someone I could ask my 100 questions to.

I think if you have the time you should go for it. Gives you time to bring up stuff with your SO. Stuff you dont really think about.

May 6th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I took one when I was pregnant with my first and me and my husband enjoyed it! Neither of us had really had any experience with babies before so we found it very helpful. They showed us techniques for burping, swaddling, etc that we would not have known otherwise. We were able to take the class on a Saturday, I believe it lasted 1/2 a day and that was it. I also took a separate breastfeeding class and was very glad that I did that one.
May 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We women tend to read, talk and learn a lot about pregnancy & are generally more informed about this stuff. But getting atleast my DH to read a book on pregnancy and a new baby was like pulling teeth. We only took one 2 hr class and it helped DH understand some info and was more useful in that way. I already knew all of the stuff they were talking about. Also the breathing excercises were useless...I just coped in my own way and stayed calm and worked through my contractions. The class was fun though...

Taking time off from work and attending that many classes seems too much, for me...may be you both can watch some informative videos and look around for a 1 class crash course type birthing class?

I totally agree on the breast feeding thing though. I didn't take a class, & luckily I had a great lactation nurse help me and teach me. But I am sure I could have benefited from the breastfeeding class, had I taken it.

May 6th, 2013, 09:55 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
We never took one. Honestly I never thought about it with my first baby, and I would have had to attend without my dh because at the time he was working 2 jobs which meant he was gone from the house from 6am till 9 pm every day.
I don't know what the class would have entailed, but living beside my grandmother who had 5 kids in her hayday made me feel pretty confident.

I know I am touring the hosp this time because the hosp that I had my 3 boys in closed down and moved to a new location and I want to know where I am going and what to expect when I get there, lol.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM
chachartier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it depends on what you want. I am allergic to anesthesia and was really nervous about going all natural. So, I enrolled in Bradley Method classes for 12 weeks, usually starting in your fifth month. I learned SO MUCH more than just about labor there, including preparing your body ahead of time, writing a birth plan, following through with it, the stages of labor and what to expect in each one, how to get through transition without meds, and then what to do afterwards, like immediate skin on skin, breastfeeding, delayed cord clamping, and other natural birth/parenting stuff, like remaining intact. I am SO thankful I took this course, and recommend it to everyone. I don't know what happens in the standard Lamaze, because I never took it, but I can't imagine I would have been nearly as informed without Bradley Method Classes!

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 6th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I was signed up for one and told a steak dinner would be given to graduates. Having aversions, I told DH we needed to avoid that class at all costs. lol But I wouldn't have gotten to take it anyway. They like you to take it here right before birth, and I was induced earlier than scheduled.
May 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
We did the birthing classes with our first. Kinda felt like one of the fun exciting things we HAD to do with our first baby....

Did I use any of what I learned. NOPE!

Would I take it again? NOPE!

Now I would love to do hypno birthing this time, but I can't afford the classes, so I will go with what we have done before. Finding what positions feel best in labor and breath.

May 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Super Mommy
We did it with our first. Parts of it were helpful, like the breathing and breastfeeding. I don't remember what else they went over.
May 6th, 2013, 02:06 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on the class. With my first, we took a class through the hospital and I think it was two week nights. Mostly worthless. I would think Bradley or Lamaze might be more worth it.

May 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We never took one. We were dirt poor with our first so the extra $100 just wasn't there. I didn't feel like I missed out on anything, or that I wasn't prepared for the birth after it all was said and done though. I watched *a lot* of videos online and did a lot of reading, so if you aren't going to take the class try to make up for it in other ways.

May 6th, 2013, 03:59 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for all of your input. I think that this class is more of a combo class - a girl that I work with said that it's about an hour and a half long, and you go for 5 weeks. She said that she thought it was pretty informative, and she really enjoyed it. I'll have to give it some thought.

It seems like it's kind of a "either you love it or you hate it" kind of deal. Maybe when it gets closer to time to take the class, I'll call and ask them what exactly it involves. I'm still on the fence!
May 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's a pregnancy milestone. Take the class so you'll know what your mom is talking about.
chachartier and jennyrae03 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search