BTDT Moms-What to bring on delivery day

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I know this is a little far away but what do you usually pak to bring to the hospital?

I read the latest Pregnancy Magazine and they suggested the following. Let me know if you suggest adding to the list or if any of this is unnecessary.

-Nightgown
-Nursing Bra
-Outfit for baby to go home in
-Snacks
-Socks
-Toiletries
-Baby Blanket

Also a car seat for the baby to go home in.
May 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I definitely over packed when I had my first child. I think the list you have looks like a really good list of the basics. A few others things I will be bringing are:
Chapstick
Hair Ties
Phone chargers
Camera
Scrapbook Page (for babies footprints, they were happy to stamp my page whenever they did the birth certificate)
Cash or change for vending machines
Pillow
May 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Your own PADS!!!!!

I HATE the 2 inch thick pads and mesh undies the hospital gives you. I get the always ultra pads that are the thin over nights and they work PERFECT for me.

Your iPod/iPad/iPhone

May 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This may be a dumb question..but what do I need PADS for? I'm afraid to ask. lol
May 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Bleeding! Not fun but its a reality.
May 6th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I over packed my first time too.

For me:
Nursing tanks and yoga pants
Undies to come home in (I wore the mesh undies while there)
Flip flops
Socks
Travel toiletries
Nursing pillow
Our white noise machine

Baby:
Several outfits in both nb and 0-3 months (even though we always end up using the nb)
Blanket to come home
Carseat

iPhone, charger
Laptop
Camera
May 6th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I bring a lot! lol

Sweatpants, socks, and a t-shirt
hair stuff, skin stuff, mascara, chapstick
little pamper basket (shampoo, soap, bubble bath, etc cause we have tubs)
extra pillow
baby clothes(I usually bring a picture outfit, shirts, socks, and the going home outfit)
camera
ereader
mp3 player
chargers
sketchbook
snacks

That's about it. I like to get clean and smelling good asap. I got my bath an hour after last time. Heaven! Never fail, the nurses comment how nice it is not to smell a sweaty patient. lol

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
May 6th, 2013, 01:40 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Books/ kindle, iPod, LOOSE yoga pants, and slippers are musts for me. I don't mind the hospital panties and pads, and they probably charge for them either way so might as well use them!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

May 6th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Super Mommy
I totally overpacked for my first. I brought tennis balls and a rolling pin. LOL. My friend read in a magazie article they were good for back labor. It was funny though seeing a rolling pin sticking out of my bag..the nurse had to ask.

I'll bring a going home outfit for baby, a blanket and socks.

For me, I will take my makeup and toiletries because I like to take a shower and start to feel a little normal, plus with pictures, I like to look somewhat decent. I also bring socks, chargers, phone, laptop chapstick, nursing bra, pjs and an outfit for me to wear home. Oh, and my boppy.

Oh, and I don't mind for the hospital pads/panties either. I actually like them while I am there so I'm not getting my own bloody... TMI...
May 6th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 View Post
This may be a dumb question..but what do I need PADS for? I'm afraid to ask. lol
The first few hours there will be a lot of blood. Don't be surprised if you get up and suddenly a gush just pours out of you. It's like your vajayjay peed! lol Besides being a little sore down there, the bleeding isn't normally painful for me. No cramping. This last time I only bled like that for a couple hours. I spotted for 3 days, and all my PP bleeding stopped. It was wonderful!

You may cramp a little during breastfeeding. I would sometimes bleed heavier with it when I had my first.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
May 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Oh and make sure to pack a newborn outfit and a preemie outfit for baby. They are so tiny those first couple of weeks and mine all started out in preemie stuff cause the newborn clothes were HUGE (even my 8 pounder wore preemie for several days)

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

May 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never pack a night gown. It's easier to wear theirs and bleed on them plus they check you down below so often and theirs is easier for that.

Make sure the outfit you pack to wear home is maternity and super comfy.
May 6th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bring
My own pillow
Simple cotton dresses with straps so i can pull down for nursing but can pull up when they come in and check how you are healing everyday.
Ipad to take and send pictures
One baby outfit
Boyshort undies
Snacks
Phone, charger
A few things like chapstick, face lotion, my leave in conditioner, hair clips so I don't feel like a cavewoman.
Money for the vending machines because even if you have not eaten for 24 hours of labor if you have the baby at 10pm they will not bring you dinner because the cafeteria is closed.

May 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Nicole*~ View Post
Oh and make sure to pack a newborn outfit and a preemie outfit for baby. They are so tiny those first couple of weeks and mine all started out in preemie stuff cause the newborn clothes were HUGE (even my 8 pounder wore preemie for several days)
Yep! Alexis was in a preemie outfit for about 2 weeks. I was already looking at a couple I want to get for this time. They are SO tiny!

I like to bring my own towel because their towels are pretty small and cheap.

Really focus on bathroom stuff--- shampoo, wash, soap, tooth paste, deodorant, etc. For me, I felt so so so gross after having a baby but always SO much better when I took a nice long shower and had everything I would use from home.

I like to have some biker/yoga shorts to kinda keep everything in place especially because even if you move an inch-- ickiness galore.

Bring a sweatshirt! Even if you live in a warm climate! Those hormones are CRAzy those first couple days and I would go from freezing to freaking roasting in 20 minutes flat. So be prepared for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 View Post
Let's just say the 9 months of no period catch up to you the first couple days

May 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Veteran
I would also suggest the little newborn mittens. My little guy had suprising long fingernails that were a bugger to clip and he managed to scratch himself right away. I forgot the mittens and he had to wear his socks on his hands!

May 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I packed PJ's and then didn't get to use them. I do wish I had packed a robe. I wore a sleep bra from motherhood because I thought it was so comfy, but after an extremely long labor all I wanted to do was change it! Well, I couldn't get it off with my IV I was stuck in that thing the WHOLE time we were at the hospital until we were discharged. I wasn't allowed to get a shower either.

One thing I was very happy I brought was chapstick. Also if you have long hair, hair ties and hair brush, braid your hair. I had a pony tail in and it was getting so frazzled. I really wanted to comb my hair and pull it back again but couldn't really articulate it. After my son was born and my mom came to visit I finally said "My hair is KILLING me right now!" It was so tangled it was like I hadn't combed it in a month. My mom brushed it for me and french braided it. All of my first pictures with my son, I look like a mad woman with crazy hair LOL! So I guess just make sure to tell your partner or doula or who ever to make sure your hair is not being a nuisance. The smallest things are so hard to communicate during labor!

Also, slippers. And cash for your partner to get food from the cafeteria or vending machines. I snuck in honey sticks for myself, but they were "allowed" because they were a clear liquid.

A camera with an empty memory card and instruct your partner to USE IT. I didn't think I'd like it at the time, I mean really that is the worst I've ever looked in my life, but the pictures I have of me seeing my babies for the first time in their lives are so priceless to me!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 6th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually really love those mesh undies. I was definitely using industrial sized pads for at least a week after. I honestly can't remember what I brought, but the most important is a nightgown or outfit it is easy to nurse in, an outfit for baby, car seat and camera.
May 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran
I agree with Wren, I like those hospital undies too. I stole a bunch after having my daughter and wore them at home for a while too. I found them comfy and if you get blood on them it's no big deal.
May 7th, 2013, 04:07 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I too love the mesh undies. I actually asked my mom to go buy some so that I could have them at home for a couple weeks after that baby was born. They felt so good on my tummy. I just use the hosp gowns and turn one around to make a robe. I don't want to bleed on my good things, lol.

I try to wear in the hosp what I plan on wearing home since I will only be wearing it for the ride to the hosp and putting on a gown once I get there.

I take
-Camera with charger
-phone numbers for important people are in my cell already so just a cell charger
-baby clothes for a specific gender and then a neutral outfit just in case, lol
-My own shampoo, soap and toothbrush and toothpaste, hair brush
-money for vending machines, cafeteria will usually take a credit/debit card
-hair tie if you have long hair at the time

Word of advice from me, but again, this is just the way I do it.... let the nursery take the baby for an hour or two so that you and you and your SO can rest a few minutes, get a small nap and take a much wanted shower. They will bring the baby back to you when he is hungry if you are b'feeding or you can go get him when you are ready. You need that rest and even if SO is watching baby in the room odd are you won't get much needed sleep before going home and start your new adventure.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 7th, 2013, 05:21 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I also brought dermapast spray. It felt SO good where my stitches were down in my girly parts.

BUT some hospitals give you ointment and they also have ice pack things for you too. I bring it just in case.

I try to pack as little as possible. With my first I totally brought a ton of stuff for labor and didn't need any of it. And totally over packed for the hospital stay and for baby as well.

Oh and I have always had the baby bring gifts for the other kids. Just little gifts. THis really helped for when my kids were little. At this point I would say my 9, 11, 13, and 14 year old would just roll they eyes at it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search