Breast Pump Suggestions?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I have quite a bit of breastfeeding knowledge, but unfortunately when it comes to pumps my experience is limited. I have only used one type and although I liked it, I can't help but wonder if there is a better one out there?
I bought an Avent Isis Duo Electric breast pump and really liked it. After one or two pumps I could push one button and it would continue pumping at the speed and pressure that I set. It could be used for just one side or both at the same time, and also came with an attachment to turn one side into a manual pump that can be carried with you on the go. I still have this pump and assume it would still work great, but I plan on pumping a lot with this new baby and was wondering if there is anyone that has had a better experience with another pump, especially someone that might have tried the Avent Isis and moved on to something else?
I was a stay at home mom for the first 6 months after my first was born so I didn't do much pumping. Now that I have a young son at home I would like to be able to pump so that he can help feed the baby and feel included. I also see us getting out and doing more things during the spring and want to have a great pump that is efficient. Cost is not a factor, I am definitely on a budget but I know that you get what you pay for when it comes to breast pumps and I consider this one of the most important purchases I will be making for baby.
May 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One thing that the lactation consultant told me when my son was having feeding issues, and I ended up having to pump full time for him, is that there are two kinds of pumps on the market and women react to each one differently. I was getting very frustrated because I couldn't let down on the hospital's Avent pump. I showed the consultant a full bottle of milk that I'd pumped the day before at home (they told me to bring any milk from home to feed him) and she asked what brand I used at home. I told her I used Medela. She said that was why I couldn't let down to the avent.

Apparently Avent uses a pendulum mechanism to create the vacuum that pumps the milk. Medela uses a piston mechanism. She said most women let down to one or the other. I switched to a medela symphony in the hospital and suddenly my milk was letting down again!

I loved the Medela Swing and until I had to pump full time and switched to the hospital grade, it is what I used. I stayed at home though and only had to pump if DH and I went on date nights (and I had to pump on the date, too, for everyone's comfort) or if I was going to be gone for a few hours. I have heard good things about pump in styles, but never had to go that big.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check with your insurance carrier, most are now required to cover the cost of breast pumps!

May 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a Medela PISA with both kids and loved it. I'm a sahm but still pump daily for when I need to get out or just to let DH help.
I'm planning to get a new PISA this time.
May 7th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies! I have previously heard great things about Medela and after help from all of you I think I am going to look into getting a Pump In Style Advanced. The pump I had seemed to work good, but I would pump for a long time and only get enough for one feeding when I know I was overproducing. After working with moms that had freezers full of milk, I started wondering if maybe my pump wasn't as great as I thought.

I never knew that there were 2 types, how neat! It definitely makes sense though, maybe that is the problem. I always felt like I wasn't responding well to the pump and that there was more milk that could have been emptied.
May 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
I got the Medela PIS when DS2 was born 7 years ago. If it continues to work well, I'll keep using it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search