Back from my scan..... its not a great thing when the high risk comes in to scan more

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I am back!

It's a..........
BABY!

We are still team green. Though I will say when she took a pic of the upper thighs, I think I saw the gender, but I won't say what.... i may have to go look at ultra sound pics to compare.

Baby is measuring right on as it should, I found out my placenta is up from which would explain why I feel as though im not feeling as much movement as I should.

As the tech was scanning she was having problems getting good pics of the heart. She could see the 4 chambers, but she needed a good look at the lines that form the + like part. She said she suspects that there is an abnormality.

The U/S was awesome! She was very informative and all which I loved.

After she said the doc would be in to talk and I could go. (that is normal, they scan the high risk doc comes in asks how things are going and then says see you in a month) Today the doc came in and said im gonna have you lay down again I need to do some more scanning. My heart kinda sank.

He first showed me the the placenta and explained its shape as I can't remember the word, but its like it hooks over on either side, he said this can lead to a small baby/growth restriction and premature birth. He said they will be keeping an eye on it. Then he moved to the heart. He said he sees what the tech saw, and though his pictures were not as good, he is confident to say that right now there is a hole in the babys heart between the 2 chambers.

I will be going to the childrens hospital in the next few weeks for a fetal echo, as well as my regular U/S with him next month.

He had me meet with the genetic counselor again. She explained that the heart defect could be a sign of a genetic problem, but since my first screening shows low risk for downs and all she doesn't feel we need to push for another blood test. I said I am not comfy with an amnio as the results wouldn't change anything, and there is nothing to be done in utero.

I was also told that the hole is something that can repair itself before birth. Or the baby could be born with the hole in the heart and be closely monitored and it could close on its own. OR worst case, baby is born with the hole in the heart and it would have to be repaired.

Right now bottom line is, its pretty much a waiting game.

I feel like I jinxed myself. This morning as I was getting in the van I thought to myself, this pregnancy has been pretty low key compared to my last few. No placenta previa, no bleeding, no bedrest. Aside from contractions, feeling sick, and pains it has been pretty smooth. See what I get for those thoughts.

I am trying to think positive and not worry. But moms worry.

Oh and the heart rate was 142. Its been anywhere from 125-158 if I remember right.

May 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you have to wait. I hope you get good news at your next can/echo.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hooray for getting to see baby!! Sorry you have to go through this worrying I'm glad the doctor is taking extra precaution to make sure things are going ok. I actually had a couple friends go through something similar and either it repaired before birth or within the first year. Hoping for the best case for you!

May 14th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats a bummer that you got worrisome news But I am very hopeful for you that things will resolve themselves. I have definitely heard of cases of heart chamber issues resolving themselves in time. Post pics.

May 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Prayers for baby. I hope it closes on its own. Please keep us posted.
May 14th, 2013, 09:45 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope it all looks good at the next scan, nothing worse then worrying! Yay for seeing baby though!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
May 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
! Hoping for the best for you and the little tot!
May 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Prayers for you both. I know it is hard on you to have to worry. I hope all is perfect next time you go in.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It could be worse right?!??! So you guys wait....it will all work out! At least you wait in not so much pain, bleeding or on bedrest! I will be thinking about you guys. When is the next peak to see what is going on with the heart? You might have typed it, but I got lost on my phone.

May 14th, 2013, 10:25 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well it sounds to me that overall, they are being cautious, but it sounds like it's fixable regardless and that even though there are obstacles to overcome, it'll all work out in the end and the baby will be good to go!!! I will also be thinking and praying for you and hoping the next scan is better!!!((hugs))

May 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds to me like you're in really excellent care, Jenn, and from what you have told us, it sounds like the problem with the baby's heart is something that WILL be fixed (no matter if it happens naturally or requires surgery). I am confident that everything will be just fine, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't blame yourself for this. It is certainly not your fault, and you didn't jinx anything by trying to be positive about your pregnancy. These things just happen, and unfortunately there isn't a whole lot any of us can do to prevent them. I'll be keeping you and the little nugget in my prayers, and I hope you can try to stay positive throughout this. Everything will be okay
anothermother likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
So sorry you have to wait. Please KUP. Glad the doctors are taking extra measures to check everything out. Hugs!!

May 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that you got not the greatest news. I know I am freaking out over here with the small possibility that something is wrong based on my screening results, so I would be a mess about worrying about the hole in the heart. As the doctor and others have said, it seems like most of these heart problems resolve on their own or can be repaired well after birth.

On the blood test, did they mention to you the option of the fetal DNA test? The brand I am getting is Harmony. I'm not sure all insurances cover it, but it is about $700-800. It is a lot more accurate than the first trimester or the first/second trimester integrated screen, but without the risk of an amnio. I know you are team green and therefore show a better ability to wait and see, but I am the type of person who wants to know everything, so I'm just throwing that out there.
May 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
praying for good news for you and baby!!!

May 14th, 2013, 12:01 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you got to see your little bean! But sorry for the worrisome appt. It does sound like your doctor is on top of things. I hope the echo brings good news.
May 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran
Hope the hole resolves itself on its own before birth. My sister-in-law had twins 16 years ago today and one of the girls had a hole. It fixed itself on it own quickly after birth. Best wishes sent your way!

May 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I'm sorry hun, I agree it sounds like it will all be fixed and you and baby will be very well taken care of ((hugs))
5 time HG survivor, AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 01/11/05, Kaiah 7 1/2 07/1/06,
Kayda 6 01/12/08, Katara 2 02/10/12
Korra 10/10/13
May 14th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Super Mommy
I'm sorrry you have to wait and worry.
May 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*Hugs* I'm sorry you have to worry, but it's great they are right on top of it. Sounds like you have good doctors. Try not to worry to much!

May 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you have to wait to get more news. Will be thinking about you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search