Question for those who have seen a chiropractor. X-posted

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By Rosiegirl7
  • 1 Post By *Lana*
  • 1 Post By *Lana*
  • 1 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw a chiropractor yesterday for my SPD (pelvic pain) after a thorough examination and evaluation of where the pain was and what movements were causing it etc. she suggested that her treatment plan was going to be a combination of soft tissue techniques on my inner thighs as they were extremely tight and were most likely pulling on my pelvic bone to disalignment and causing inflammation/ pain, and some strengthening streching excercises at home. She also suggested that instead of the excercises I could see her husband who was sort of a massage/muscular therapy/ sports medicine type person who could stretch them out and work on my problem areas, but his services are not covered by insurance and they are cash only. I opted to try the excercises and soft tissue techniques to begin with and she was fine with it.

She did warn me that the soft tissue manipulation or whatever is painful and I could be very sore but that was temporary and I should try to focus on monitoring my pain level on my pelvic area to see if its working. If you are not sure what soft tissue therapy is its this thing where they move your body part this way and that slowly while pressing and putting pressure really hard using thier thumb into the muscle. Boy it hurt so so so much !! I was clenching my abdominal muscles and my face was contorted in pain. I was so glad when she was done in about 10 - 15 mins!! I was pretty sore last night as well.

Is this the kind of treatment you guys recieved if you did see a chiropractor for SPD? I mean will this actually help. I was too sore last night to be able to tell if my SPD pain was alleviated a bit or not. Probably too soon to tell as well. But she wants me to keep coming for abt 15 mins twice a week. Sigh...I just don't know if this will work. She seemed really nice, just not sure if she knows what she's doing. Please help by sharing your experiences with chiropractors.

May 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally have not seen a chiropractor for THAT particular reason. However, I will say that every time I have gone to a chiropractor, and it has been a few different ones over the years, I leave there feeling like something else hurts and I end up going back for a new pain. It's like they fix the one problem you were having, but in turn something else gets agitated and you have to go back for a new treatment.

Maybe that's just my body being weird, and nobody else has this issue, but I try to avoid chiropractors at all costs! haha
Anitha likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our whole family gets adjusted weekly, but not for any pains or complications, just to keep our spines aligned and our for health. I've never had any massage of sorts.

I do remember being slightly sore after our first few sessions. Our chiro recs extra water and we take fish oil daily which helps with inflammation.

But, no two chiropractors are equal. If you don't end up liking her methods, you could try someone else! Hope she is able to help!
Anitha likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of chiropractors myself, I feel like there solution isn't a "one time fix" but more of a "come in many times" approach to getting better (and thus more money in their pockets).

I really believe in stretching poses at home, or yoga if you find a safe prenatal place nearby. As far as the tissue therapy, I've had that done and it hurts so bad! I had bruises on my thighs for a few days. I didn't see a benefit from it either.

On the flip side, I've heard about some great experiences with a chiropractor so this is just my opinion. It definitely can be different for everyone. Hope your pelvic pain goes away!
Anitha likes this.
May 15th, 2013, 12:55 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a fan of chiropractors. I have only been seen once, and then he did a sneak attack on me when he saw me in the waiting room one day.
I truly love acupuncture. I had costochondritis my whole pregnancy with J (tried the chiropractor for that), but went a few times for acupunture this pg and I have been great since--still have occasional discomfort, but tolerable and short duration. He told me I would need to keep going 2-3 times a week. I had about 30% improvement after the first visit. I went the next day and the treatment was more painful until I got myself to relax, and then I was so much better and got busy and didn't make it back.
I looked up acupuncture for SPD, and although I didn't find any good/reputable information, there were tons of posts on forums about it. Didn't necessarily cure it, but made it tolerable after one or two visits. I would recommend trying it in hopes it would help.
Anitha likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
But, no two chiropractors are equal. If you don't end up liking her methods, you could try someone else!:
So true! The first chiropractor I went to totally turned me off of them. The person I go to for acupuncture is certified in that, but he is a chiropractor too--even sits on the state licensing board. He knows my issues with chiropractors and explained that there are different techniques/preferred method of treatment. He personally prefers to treat the affected area, rather than manipulating the whole spine if it is not needed. Overall, he seems gentler.
Anitha likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 07:42 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
I got rear ended while at a complete stop by some bobo once and it really jammed up my neck and back. I had to see a chiropractor/physical therapist for a few months, and they combined adjustments with that kind of massage. I can't speak to your particular area/pain, but for the experience in general. I had to take a pain medicine (just an advil or two) before I went in, and take it easy the rest of the day. It hurt for at least the rest of the day, if not til the next day. But eventually my body adjusted and it didn't hurt so much, and felt relieving. I think pushing on the effected areas gets out toxins/chemicals or whatever that just feel unpleasant, but generally it's a good thing. I feel like I had to do this therapy and it was helpful for me, but I am not sure that I'd want to do that kind of deep tissue stuff NOW, during pregnancy. I have heard great things about acupuncture, and just general adjustments/light massage during pregnancy but not as deep as your describing. Good luck! I say shop around and try different things. If you're going to pay cash you might as well be VERY HAPPY with your treatment.
Anitha likes this.
May 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you all for the responses and for sharing your experiences. I have an appointment with her this Friday. Yesterday I wasn't sore and it actually felt like my SPD pain was a tad better. But then again it fluctuates and it might just be one of my good days
We'll see. I am told that one of the things with chiropractor is yes they do want us to come in on an ongoing basis. Even though I'm sure this arrangement works out great for them money wise, many people do say that its a mistake to write off chiropractic care in one visit....and that the benefits can truly be felt after a few treatments....I'm going to give her a couple more chances before I ditch her

The pain is actually tolerable right now. I just want to stay on top of it because I know it can get real bad toward the end! So hopefully she can help keep it from getting too bad.

Melissa, the cash thing was if I chose to avail her husband's services as well. I declined that. Insurance covers 50% and they quoted that my bill will be somewhere between $50 and $30 per session at the max.

Last edited by Anitha; May 15th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
May 15th, 2013, 09:59 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Oohh.. gotcha. That's a little easier to do on a trial basis!

Good luck
May 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I see a chiropractor occasionally for adjustments.

I get bad sciatica during the end of pregnancy and was planning on seeing a chiro for that once it starts.

I went last week and the week before for shoulder pain and it actually made it worse. I cancelled my appt for yesterday and figured it would go away on it's own. I think it all just depends on what is going on and who you are seeing.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search