Swaddling--New Recommendations

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By Fortroseberry

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 10:04 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This article was posted yesterday. It is about swaddling and now they are saying that they recommend swaddle sleep sacks rather than swaddling babies with receiving blankets. I also posted this on my FB and my cousin said they used the swaddle sleep sacks when she had her son in February (delivered around Minneapolis, MN).
How to Swaddle an Infant Safely - WSJ.com

They will always be coming out with new recommendations, butÂ*it is something to be aware of--this was the first I heard about it.

May 15th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Julie
thanks!

May 15th, 2013, 06:14 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Those sacks don't even wrap the baby up.. it's like a nightgown sewn shut at the bottom. I think this lady is being paid on the side by that sack company
May 15th, 2013, 06:35 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I do love the sleep sacks though, lol. They are so convenient.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 15th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the miracle blanket swaddle. It worked really well for us. I don't know if it's ok according to those these new recs

Last edited by Laurenj915; May 15th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
May 15th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used the Miracle Blanket with DS and Aden and Anais swaddlers with DD. I already bought A&A swaddlers for this baby because we loved them so much.
May 15th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

May 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Every last pediatrician in town thinks the main cause of SIDS is the waterproof crib mattress. Since it can't absorb gasses, little clouds of carbon dioxide form around baby. There is always something new for us to worry about. Baby shampoo gives them cancer, and pregnant women should eat nothing but chicken and water. LOL

My first HATED sleep sacks. Oh, gosh, she was an easy baby until you put that thing on her! We always swaddle with the legs bent, and usually don't do it for more than 1 month. My first only side slept because back sleeping kept startling her awake. My second had silent reflux and had to sleep in a swing so she wouldn't asphyxiate. I had someone chew me out for that. I told her that I'll start raising my babies her way since my doctor obviously didn't know ****. Laying on her back was so much better when she regurgitated!
Heidijens1 likes this.
May 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Interesting. We only tend to swaddle when the baby is really little. At home, I would just put them in warm pjs to sleep. I HATE those gown things that they sell. Those are NOT for me.

Are babies supposed to sleep on their backs or sides or what? I'm confused now. I thought it was back.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerBeeMama View Post
Are babies supposed to sleep on their backs or sides or what? I'm confused now. I thought it was back.
Back--think "Back to sleep."

The first family I babysat for lost their first child to SIDS (before I knew them). My mom watched the kids until the second child was off the apnea monitor, then I watched them myself. The third was a preemie so was in the hospital for a few months and didn't have the apnea monitor at home. They had his obituary and photo on the walk in the hall and I saw it every time I walked to the kids room. I used to stand there and watch them breathing. I didn't really realize I did it until years later when I was watching my nephew and my SIL noticed I just stood there. My aunt lost a daycare child to SIDS while she was watching it. I'm just hyperaware.
The bassinet portion of my daughter's pack and play was recalled after she was out of it. It kind of rocked and babies could move enough to make it so they rolled to the side. Happened a few times to my daughter and I thought it was her moving around so I stopped using it. The recall came out a month or two later.
Yes, I have an AngelCare monitor and we just got one for my parents house.

May 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Lana, I can definitely understand why you're so hyperaware. SIDS is such a scary thing, especially when you have been exposed to the situation as many times as you have! We are also purchasing the Angel Care monitor.

We use sleep sacks, which my son never had any trouble with. As far as swaddling, I only swaddle during the first month, month and a half. I don't see anything wrong with swaddling with receiving blankets AS LONG AS it's done correctly and not too tight. If you're not sure how to do it correctly, ask the nurse in the hospital to show you. At first with my son, I had no idea how to do it myself. The nurse showed both me and my husband how to do it, and then she had me and DH try it out while she watched to make sure it was done right.0
May 15th, 2013, 01:28 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eek, now I'm all scared. I just added the angelcare monitor to my baby registry. I am one of those moms who STILL checks on her kids breathing from time to time when they look extra "passed out" while asleep.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 15th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I had a few false alarms in my monitor--maybe 3 because she had scooted to a corner. There was one alarm I never could explain. She was in a perfect spot and I think it beeps after 20 seconds without movement from breathing and alarms after 5 or 10 more seconds. Yeah, I forgot to turn it off occasionally when I got her out, but no big deal and it quickly became second nature. I used it until she was close to 2. She had a couple apnea episodes when she had bad allergies/possible asthma, but I was holding her when they happened, so turned that part of the monitor on again,

May 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used both regular blankets and velcro swaddle sacks like this:

Summer Infant SwaddleMe Small Microfleece in Pink - 10107

They definitely worked better than the regular blankets. When she was too big to swaddle, I used sleep sacks until she was almost two.
May 15th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We swaddle. Always have & will continue to do so. Recommendations for everything seem to change every couple of years.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
May 15th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eek so much to consider! I'll have to look into an angelcare monitor, I've never heard of it...
May 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
We love to swaddle, and it makes for happier babies in this household.
Lotsakids likes this.

May 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I never suffered from ppd but my grandmother passed away unexpectly 4 days before my son was born. Her funeral was the day before I had my son. It was horrible. And I think the heart break I went through combined with the hormones caused me to have extreme paranoia. Anyway, SIDS was my #1 worry on my list. There were nights I literally wouldn't sleep bc I was watching my son. I bought a monitor but it didn't work bc my son wouldn't sleep on his back (he slept in a car seat, bouncy chair or swing). When I couldn't take the sleepless nights anymore, I found this Respisense BUZZ Infant Breathing Movement Baby Monitor:Amazon:Baby and could sleep a little easier. I am definitely getting another one for this baby. And will always follow any recommendations on sleeping habits!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search