Book Recommendations

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jackie1122

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 01:39 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So as a first time mom, I'm really nervous about the part where we leave the hospital to care for an infant on our own. I know I'll have help from my Mom and MIL, but do you ladies have any good book recommendations for us first timers?

My friend suggested The Wonder Weeks, which is really good so far, but is more developmental. What about basic stuff? How long do you swaddle a baby for, etc.?

Thanks!

May 15th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First timer here too! I'm looking forward to some recommendations!
May 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Julie
What to expect has a book called What to Expect : the first year, or I believe that's the title. It depends on what kind of advice you want as well-for example, do you want more medical advice (like maybe a book written by a doctor) or more of a natural approach to parenting? Although I guesssome doctors can be more naturally-minded than others. I wish I had more specific titles for you, but just research the author's background and point of view before you buy any.

May 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I stopped by an actual book store today to see what they had in their parenting section and picked up The Mayo Clinic's Guide to Baby's First Year. What to Expect while Expecting actually scared me more then I thought it did, and when I went to a first time mom's group most recommended the Mayo Clinic's Guide. So I skipped the What to Expect First Year this time around. I was also tempted by the Sear's Baby Book which covers the first 2 years and was a dollar cheaper, but ultimately felt I would take parenting one year at a time.

May 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
My dad gave me one when I had my son, it was great and funny as well. It was called "The Baby Owner's Manual". It has basic facts and information, and a great twist of humor to make it interesting. I would especially recommend it for new dads that might not want to sit down and read all of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". What to Expect was my personal favorite though. Once baby was here, I have to say I really didn't use books that much. I know you will probably hear this alot but your motherly instincts do kick in when baby is born. Instead of doing something by the book, you do what works best for you and your baby. The only thing I did reference in a book was breastfeeding information, I would recommend getting a book that was written fairly recently if you do plan on breastfeeding(research on breastfeeding is always changing). I liked the Breastfeeding Answer Book, it really had everything. Hope that helps!
MrsPea and Heidijens1 like this.
May 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
No book recs here. What to expect was just too much. Too much information about things I wouldn't worry about. I had a "perfect parent" guide once. Can't remember titles, but it had some good info. Like sometimes it's alright to hide from your children. When you hear one say, "I'm telling Mom!" Hide. They can normally work that out. lol Listen to your kids, etc. I hide to eat my chocolate.

It's normally easiest to learn as you go. Different things work for people. Books never cover them all.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
May 16th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I enjoyed most books by Dr Sears!

Make sure you take everything you read with a grain of salt! Sometimes you just do what makes your baby happy and keeps your house peaceful.
May 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I haven't looked for any books yet. I have two pregnancy books and barely read them. Alot of the books just freak me out with all the negative info in them. I have already experienced two miscarriages so i am just trying to keep positive advice and reading material around me. I am going to rely on the advice from my mom, mother in law, sister and sis in law as they have all raised babies for all the newborn advice. It's also nice they live close to me so can come over to my home and help me out if I get stuck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search