Name opinions please?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jackie1122
  • 1 Post By Wanta.number2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Since this is going to be our second boy, I would like to try and incorporate a little family meaning into his name. My fathers middle name is Dan, and husbands middle name is Max as well as many of the other males on his side. Me and my husband both have J names and our son is a C name, so we thought it would be cool to have another C name for this baby. I came up with Camdan Max to kind of tie it all together. I like it but was not sure if the spelling was funky. I still like Camden but then I would lose the meaning behind having "Dan" in his name. Let me know what you think please!
May 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
I don't see anything wrong with the spelling at all! Whats most important is that its meaningful to you, and I think its pretty cool how you guys came up with it.
May 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Sorry, hon.. it's not my style (though I love the idea of incorporating family names). I am never a fan of alternate spellings, unless it's to spell a name in its native language or something. You could always do two middle names, like maybe Cameron Daniel Max or something like that. Or go Max Daniel. Also I'm from Philly and wouldn't name someone Camden, based on its geography/crime etc connotations.
May 15th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its definitely unique, but I had a childhood friend who was a girl named Camden so to me its a girl name. However I'm a firm believer that people make the name so if that's the name you like stick with it!
May 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Camden is my nephew's name so I've always associated it with a boys name, lol!
May 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
I say go with Camdan Max. I dont see anything wrong with the spelling, especially given that its honoring family.
May 15th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
Sorry, hon.. it's not my style (though I love the idea of incorporating family names). I am never a fan of alternate spellings, unless it's to spell a name in its native language or something. You could always do two middle names, like maybe Cameron Daniel Max or something like that. Or go Max Daniel. Also I'm from Philly and wouldn't name someone Camden, based on its geography/crime etc connotations.
This.
May 15th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I like the name. =) I've never been a fan of alternate spelling either having to spell my name out to everyone. They put the wrong spelling on my driver's license because my parents decided that Arwen wasn't strange enough. I have an alternate spelling to Danielle. =P But I think he'll like the meaning behind your choice.
May 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Julie
I love the idea behind it, clever. However, would it bother you for people to pronounce it "cam-dan"" or is that exactly what you want? I think the names sound good together too.

May 15th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Glad to hear everybody's opinions on the name (**sarcastic**which is exactly why I don't post most of MY opinions on names on here) but as a mommy of a Camden, I have gotten tons of compliments on it and I think it's a beautiful name. There is a little girl around here named Kamdyn as are a few little boys (wish there wasn't!) and a few celebrities recently named their babies Camden which worries me that it will become more popular, I don't care for the same old names everybody else has and thought Camden was original when I picked it. I actually thought we made it up! I'm curious the feedback you will get on C names though b/c I'm looking for one and am totally stumped! In any event, I've gotten nothing but compliments of my Camden and I'm sure you would too, whichever spelling you choose! Also, Camden (Camdan) is not a tradition name, so I don't see why it matters how you spell it. It's not like you are changing the spelling of John or something. But I do agree it will probably be pronounced Cam-Dan.

Last edited by Cccbb61013; May 15th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
May 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
You ask for opinions and you get them! If you don't want them, not asking is a good way to avoid it.

I like the sound of the name Camden, it's nice. But if you google the city in NJ you'll see what I mean. If you lived in a different geographical location, the nearest Camden might be a lovely place.
May 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to give advice as a mom to almost 4 boys! LOL

Only pick one name to honor- just max or just Dan for the middle name. Honoring one male figure makes it special. But it also leaves the other name to be used down the road, should you have a third son.

Then pick any C first name you like!
May 15th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the opinions ladies, I posted because I did want to hear what you thought either negative or positive. I was worried about the alternate spelling from the start. Jackie is short for Jacqueline and I grow very tired of having a name that always has to be spelled out so it is definitely something I am considering. I also don't like the pronunciation of Camdan where the "dan" part is enunciated. I know how I want it to sound but I didn't consider how other people might pronounce it. As far as only incorporating one family name, that is not really an option for us. This is probably our last child and if we decide to go the family name route, I don't want it to be a decision of who's family is more important. I suggested using my dad's name and my husband is completely on board, but I think it would be neat to carry down something special from the paternal side to. I know it is up to us completely but I really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so in the end we might leave family names out of it all together. We are going to keep on thinking and see what we come up with. There is plenty of time.
Anitha and jamieshalon2 like this.
May 16th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of alternate spellings but if you are doing it for a special reason it makes more sense than just randomly changing letters. I think there will be some issues with mispronunciation and spelling it out, but the name itself is straightforward enough that people won't be too confused. Personally I might go with two middle names, although it is a problem with some forms in the U.S. - I kept both my middle and last name and just added my husband's name and my license, etc. won't let me use two middle names. But, it will be part of his official name and will honor both.
May 16th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Angelgirl30's Avatar Super Mommy
Personally I love the name Camden Max. Spell it however you want. I think it is a very good name for a boy!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!!!

May 16th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I like it. I am hispanic with a VERY common hispanic last name....yet I have to spell it almost every time I say it. Im doing just fine. Im not losing sleep over it! I also named my son a name that is in EVERY baby book and dictionary, yet people still ask how to spell it. My second son will have a middle name probably no one will be able to say or spell outside of my family....but that is ok. It's my daddies name and that is what matters to me! Go for what YOU and your DH wants. As for the whole Camden city reference...people name their kids Austin ALL the time...I think of 6th street Texas town full of drunck college kids, my brother thinks lakes and hiking with friends and family. We will all have different "thoughts" pop into our heads when we hear a name...some warm and fuzzy...some not so.

So to make my rambling make sense.

Go for Camdan Max!

May 16th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gRod View Post
I like it. I am hispanic with a VERY common hispanic last name....yet I have to spell it almost every time I say it. Im doing just fine. Im not losing sleep over it! I also named my son a name that is in EVERY baby book and dictionary, yet people still ask how to spell it. My second son will have a middle name probably no one will be able to say or spell outside of my family....but that is ok. It's my daddies name and that is what matters to me! Go for what YOU and your DH wants. As for the whole Camden city reference...people name their kids Austin ALL the time...I think of 6th street Texas town full of drunck college kids, my brother thinks lakes and hiking with friends and family. We will all have different "thoughts" pop into our heads when we hear a name...some warm and fuzzy...some not so.

So to make my rambling make sense.

Go for Camdan Max!
So funny you mention this, I have a brother named Austin and live in Texas, so I definitely know what you mean! Thanks for your response, we are still thinking about the name but have not ruled out Camdan Max yet.

To be honest, I was really thinking we would have a girl this time (or maybe just hoping for my own selfish reasons ). I am super happy with my little boy though, but unfortunately I spent the majority of my pregnancy so far dreaming up cute girl names. I had a hard time picking my first sons name, and now that it is already used I am really stumped to find another that I absolutely love.
May 16th, 2013, 10:39 AM
We live in Texas, and my son's name is Austin, lol! We keep getting so many unwanted opinions on names that we should chose, so we threatened to name this dear son Dallas. LOL. Believe it or not, everyone thought it was cute. Our families are WAY too proud to be Texans.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about some town in NJ, either.
Fortroseberry likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
I like honoring your family with the names, but I too prefer Camden. I love that name actually.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search