Baby showers......

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
We'll probably have a baby Q too I wanted to do it last time but didn't. No gifts, just a fun reason to throw a party! My friend told me she wants to throw me a shower but she's kind of a flake, so we'll see!
Druslady96 likes this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

May 17th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
I like the idea of tacos at your baby shower but the party seems huge! I hope you have help planning..

I do not like attending baby showers, and hate sitting in a circle watching moms open baby presents off their registry. The last one I went to was at night so I thought YAY a real party! But then it was a baby shower and the men had to guess what kind of poop looking candy was smeared in diapers and then they had a gender reveal mardi gras beads game and then they didn't reveal the gender. It has poisoned me on baby showers. I probably won't have one but if my friends do what they suggested (something small, brunch-y and not fussy) I will not protest - I think they want to have something for the baby but hate baby showers too. We are a bunch of haters, hahaha. Whatever it is, I hope it's small and there are no men and there is bacon. Or tacos. Or desserts. Basically I would like to have food and good company and have people send good vibes to the little baby.
LoL.... Yeah, I'm mexican and filipino and DH is Mexican and Italian...so I can't do small... That's basically just family and a few friends. Believe it or not there are a number of people/family I couldn't include because I have to cut it somewhere. Could have split it and done two but to me, we are one family made up of two so it should be together. I totally have help... "My planning committee" as I call them are awesome and crafty too... I basically am telling them what I want so they can make it happen. LoL...

You brought up a good point about the gifts... I don't care for opening them in front of everyone either (or making people sit through that) but then there are people that want to see you open their gifts... self satisfying I guess... so everyone else can see what they bought you. So IDK, I'm thinking that by the time it's gift opening I will only open those for people that are still there.
soul_donut likes this.

May 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie1122 View Post
Since this is my second, I don't really want another shower. My sister in law is going to throw us a Baby-Q (BBQ) sometime before baby comes. Just lots of family and friends, good BBQ, probably some alcohol, and lots of hanging out and celebrating the baby. I would also like to make it a "big brother" party for our 3 year old son, we are going to make him a special big brother kit so that he feels every bit a part of this!
I did bags for my kids last time. I put stuff to keep them occupied at the hospital and made them big brother/sister buttons to wear

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

May 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
My 5 year old would love a big brother kit, but I can see the older boys looking at me like I have lost my mind, lol.
I think I am an oddball here. I LOVE baby shower games, lol. Okay, maybe not a guess the candy smeared poop diaper, but many of the other ones I do love.
The ones I am having are
guess the nursery rhyme rhetoric
example:
Clumsy kids on an errand to a well....answer is Jack and Jill

How sweet is is
example:
Tummy after birth.......Jelly Belly

And the one where you fill a baby bottle with m&m's, skittles, or any type of small candy and the guests have to guess how many are in there. It is so much fun to see how into this one the guests actually get, lol.
I do too! I think they are fun if you have people that will participate... I love those game ideas. I'm going to have to look some up and use those too... I'm not a huge fan of the poopy diaper one or the can't say baby one either... I think I'm going to do one where there are songs that say baby in the title, you play a very short clip and they have to guess the song/artist. We should start a separate thread on baby shower game ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle86 View Post

We already have most of the supplies and made the most beautiful centerpieces for 4 tables for the venue. We used tin watering cans and used blue/ivory flowers. Tied Blue ribbon around each can and added a small bird nest with blue bird in each arrangement. I plan on giving one to my sister who is hosting, my mother, my mother in law and I am keeping one. They cost quite a bit to make but our keepsakes..My mother and mother in law both love them and said no one better walk off with them at the baby shower. lol
We are getting invitations from tinyprints and we are having a boy.
Super cute! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has it basically planned out. I am going to get some baby palms and decorate the base where people can take it off and then give them away as shower game prizes along with some other stuff...

May 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
If anyone wants to use the games I posted I can send them the copy where I made them for my friends shower last november. I thankfully kept all that info just in case I would need them again, lol.
Druslady96 likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I even know 80 women!
May 17th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Leah
What's your theme? I have no idea....
How many people are you inviting? Prelim list looks about 45ish.
Will it be indoor or outdoor? infreakingdoors. Florida, August means inside.
Catered or home cooked? not ure, but I think probably both.
Coed? Yep.
Registry? Definitly BRU and maybe also BBB, though not many will want to drive there.

I'm not a fan on traditional showers either, but I think my mom will expect and want that stuff. Definitly throwing in a bottle chugging contest for the guys.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
May 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druslady96 View Post
LoL.... Yeah, I'm mexican and filipino and DH is Mexican and Italian...so I can't do small... That's basically just family and a few friends. Believe it or not there are a number of people/family I couldn't include because I have to cut it somewhere. Could have split it and done two but to me, we are one family made up of two so it should be together. I totally have help... "My planning committee" as I call them are awesome and crafty too... I basically am telling them what I want so they can make it happen. LoL...

You brought up a good point about the gifts... I don't care for opening them in front of everyone either (or making people sit through that) but then there are people that want to see you open their gifts... self satisfying I guess... so everyone else can see what they bought you. So IDK, I'm thinking that by the time it's gift opening I will only open those for people that are still there.
If they make it to the end then I think it's safe to say they'd like to see the gift opening Very cool that you have a planning committee!

I want to join your family! That sounds like a blast, having that much family and close relatives to gather. I hope you remember to take a big group picture!
May 18th, 2013, 06:31 PM
mama2ladybugs's Avatar Super Mommy
Id like to have a baby shower but I think it would be out of line for me to plan one for myself. I dont like asking for anything to begin with, so the idea of "oh you all can buy me stuff" isnt something that i would do.
slmehaffey likes this.
May 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not having a shower this time. I really hated my wedding and baby showers. I don't enjoy sitting in a room full of people opening gifts by myself. I feel very embrassed. At my baby shower my mom made a sign that said something like "if you would like for Lauren to open your gift at the shower just bring it to her." My friends were so happy they didn't have to sit for 2 hours of present opening.
soul_donut likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
If they make it to the end then I think it's safe to say they'd like to see the gift opening Very cool that you have a planning committee!

I want to join your family! That sounds like a blast, having that much family and close relatives to gather. I hope you remember to take a big group picture!
Good point! LoL... and it's even more awkward when people ask when you are opening gifts... like they've been waiting around for it... hahaha....

I have to say yes, it is nice to have lots of close family... but man, trying to plan any gathering can sometimes be a pain.
soul_donut likes this.

May 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What's your theme? BBQ, Beer 'n baby shower. I've never enjoyed the standard baby shower (yawn) so we're trying to make it something we would like. We're also going to come up with a raffle item - if you bring diapers you get your name put into the drawing for the raffle item.
How many people are you inviting? We're doing one in So Cal and one up in Northern Nevada where we moved from. Probably only 15-20 at each.
Will it be indoor or outdoor? Still deciding, either outside or at a friends that has a large outdoor BBQ area.
Catered or home cooked? Home cooked and BBQ.
Coed? Coed since we have so many couple friends. Also another reason we're doing a BBQ 'n Beer.
Registry? Babies R Us and Target.

Last edited by SierraWinter; May 19th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
May 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has always been something for other people to 'give' a new mom in my family... so I wont be giving myself one... this is honestly the first time I've been close enough to my family (in location) to think they might throw one for me, but only my sister has asked if I'm having one and I don't know if that was a sign she might do it, or if she just wondered if she was going to get an invite to one.
Also we are waiting to see if baby is a girl or boy and I think a lot of people that would come would give me a hard time if they felt the need to buy me a present and didn't know the gender of the baby... So... I don't know. I think it would be super fun to decorate my back yard with streamers and balloons and picnic tables and have a BBQ, but I also feel weird if I were to plan it myself...
I don't mind the traditional showers, but I've also had two of them now and I think I'd just like a party... guys and gals allowed, and lots of food, maybe skip the traditional games and get some horseshoes and other outdoors games to play? Maybe do a pot-luck type thing and have people bring their favorite dishes... I'm dreaming a bit here, cause I seriously doubt I'll have a shower at all.
I also like the idea of having people bring frozen casseroles for us for after baby arrives... but 1. I do not have a freezer big enough for that, and 2. my daughter is allergic to milk and milk products and asking for milk free casseroles is kinda hard for me to do considering I don't even have 3 casserole recipes myself that are milk free...lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search