Thoughts on hand me downs for new baby...

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do hand-me-downs on equipment. Even car seats as long as its from a friend and I know the history of it.

I don't do it with clothing but that's because I have enough boys that buying new lasts through them longer. I have tubs of clothing in my attic so it's like shopping each time I go up there. My own little thrift store
May 16th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOVE LOVE LOVE hand me downs, & Op shopping

I am always extremely thankful for what I am given. I go through it, & keep what I want & send what I don't to the Salvo's.
Between family & close friends we have always bagged up what doesn't fit anymore clothes wise & passed it between babies/children. Saves everyone big $$$'s

So far this pregnancy I have picked up a swing for $10, & an entertainment centre as new for $8. The swing retails in Target for nearly $200, & the entertainment centre is the same as the one I had with last DS, except a newer model, & that cost us $80. So I am happy

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
May 16th, 2013, 11:20 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Clothes I will gladly take as long as they aren't stained and gross
Mostly we are hoping to get things free. First grandbaby to 3 sets of parents and first great grandbaby to 2 of them, so here's hoping it will be covered!!
May 17th, 2013, 03:24 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be getting some bigger items second hand, like a swing, maybe bouncer chair and so on. But I want a new travel system, and new clothes.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

May 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I'm a first time mom as well and wanting everything new except gently used baby clothing. I am trying to buy a lot of items "gender neutral" so we can re use for other babies we may have in the future. Our gender neutral stroller/car seat will be $200.00, swing/bouncer combo $150.00, pack in play 150.00, basinet $80.00, high chair $100.00. We are going with graco farrow print as it's a nice gender neutral that will go for both girls and boys. And we aren't made of money to buy new for each child and buying new once we last for all of them. We went with a cherry finish baby furniture set for $600.00 and got a mattress that I hope we last for more than one child.
May 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE hand me downs and second hand I have no qualms.. But I am picky And cheap

Believe it or not I am actually keeping a list of the cost of everything and most things besides the clothes I will be able to sell close to or the same price as I got it for..

Last time I bought

Phil and teds
bassinet
swing
cloth diapers
And sold them all for the same I bought them for.. Easily.. I just waiting until I found good deals and kept them in super condition and then sold them again less that 8 months later..

This time I hope to do the same.. I see no sense storing things like bouncy seats exersaucers etc.. When I can sell and have so much fun re buying if necessary

So far I have bought 16 grovia cloth diapers.. PINK for $5 each.. excellent condition.. New they are $25

I have bought a few things new from my sis's clothing store.. Just Dandy Clothing Super cute european stuff.. All the sale stuff She is super about it though cause we are not well off..
I got quite a bit from one lady for $30 of the facebook swap last week and to be honest I think I am set for newborn...

I bought a used crib that I plan to paint to match the dresser I refinished a while ago.

This way I can still enjoy dressing my kids cute but not spending money that I don't have..

Now I want to take a pic of my stash so far

The same sis who owns the clothing store has one boy 1.5 years older than my oldest and I got so many cute hand me downs in excellent condition.. Now my second boy has used them.. She loves it when she sees them wearing them and I love hand me downs so it works well...

Hope I don't sound silly or too cheap.. but I just LOVE doing this Makes me feel good.. haha

Es
Lotsakids and jamieshalon2 like this.

Thank you Jaidensmum!

May 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am happy to take any hand me downs I can get! Will likely buy a new car seat, but other than that as long as its not stained why spend money? Bought a beautiful (non-recalled) crib off kijiji for $100, would have cost me nearly $400 new and I'm sure I could sell it for $100 when my lo is done with it (it's convertible though so will probably keep is for a long time). I got some old books and clothes from my mom (my youngest brother is 8- 22 years younger than me!), I will use all. I have no desire to buy new, even though this is my first.
May 18th, 2013, 05:06 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are buying our carseat and pack-n-play new. Everything else I am more than willing to buy used or accept as a hand-me-down. So far we are buying a bouncer used from a friend and I have bought some cloth diapers used. My cousins says she is going to mail me a box of her 6 month olds newborn and 3-6 month clothes and I am more than willing to accept them!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

May 18th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As a first time mom I wanted everything new, lol.

Now there are lots of things I would take used (clothes, some gear). Only downside is that as a third time mom, I'm pretty picky about what I want. I know what we like and what works for us.
May 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't receive hand me downs for my daughter when she was little, and when she was older, they were usually made into her play clothes as they would be worn or not my style.. I love consignment sales as you can pick and choose what you are getting. Bought some Ralph Lauren, Gymboree and Carters at a thrift store last week for a couple dollars each--infant clothes are usually not worn much and depending on how they are laundered, they stay in good shape.
I say, go through what you have received, pick out what suits your preferred style, set the rest aside and mix in some new things too--it is still fun to shop for your own kids.
I don't do used car seats--I did last time because I needed so many and couldn't afford new ones at that time, but bought from extended family and then bought new ones when I could.

Last edited by *Lana*; May 18th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search