Tips on how to relocate cheaply and quickly??

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Wanta.number2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
We need to relocate about six or seven hours away. DH still had some resumes out and was offered a perfect job where he would be paid just a bit more, but he would be home way more than what he is now. (He is across the country, not good when/if you go into labor and have to have a c/s and your mom is over four hours away!)We have about 3 weeks. They interviewed yesterday and loved DH, and the other candidate that he was competing with for the position, never showed up for the interview. So we know he is pretty much has this job, but they don't offer relocation.

Any tips on moving truck companies, or how you guys have saved money to move? We really don't know this town well, and we would be getting one of the "luxury" apartments, which are expensive but we are worried if we jump into anything too cheap we could end up in a not so good part of town, and I would still be home alone and pregnant at times. We have 2 cars and a Harley to move...suggestions?
May 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Oh goodness, I have no advice as I have never moved that far before, but I wish you lots of luck.
really the only thing I can think of is a large U-Haul type truck that will hold most everything.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have moved a lot but usually were reimbursed. Most difficult was from Hawaii to Maryland. I had to rent a matson crate and hire a driver. My dad helped pack it but we had to donate a lot that wouldnt fit. The cost was $6k.

We've foot the bill for several smaller/closer moves and rented a u-haul truck for those.

It all depends on the amount of stuff you have. If you have everything boxed before moving day you can get a 3 bedroom moved in one day with help from dh's friends. I found free boxes in Costco parking lots.
May 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive moved a few times. 6 hours away and then 7 years later moved back. In any case we hir3d Atlas moving company. (I believe they are international) They come to your house and will give you an estimate before hand. It cost me 1200 $ for 2 bedroom + den. Money WELL spent. You can even pay extra for them to pack up your stuff if you want.

May 17th, 2013, 06:57 AM
"Shay-see"
Cheapest way to move is a UHaul and some generous friends (who you pay with pizza and beer) to help you load and unload. If you can't get anyone to do the six hour drive to help unload, you can pay some craigslist dudes on the other side (they're usually reasonable and hiring them will offset the cost of paying for your friends' gas to get there and get back, which will be a non-trivial amount of money). Probably you just need a couple of hours of labor (if your husband helps out, it'll be even less) to move big furniture and a few key boxes into the home and perhaps the rest can just go quickly into the garage, if you have one, so it's out of the way (be sure to mark the essentials clearly) and you and your husband can unpack at your own pace over the next few weeks.

Uhaul will rent you a truck and trailers for spare vehicles. If one car can tow the bike, then your Uhaul can tow the other car. You and husband each man a vehicle and voila; a one-trip move. I think you could do this move for under $500.

May 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know how much stuff you have, but when I moved to Texas from Iowa, I used one of these : Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving | U-Pack

I don't remember exactly how much it cost at that time, but I am thinking it was around $400 to ship my 2 bedroom apartment. And you'd be surprised how much stuff can fit into a pod! Granted, you may need two to accommodate what you have in your whole house, but it really isn't TOO bad.

When I moved back to Iowa from Texas, I got a little more crafty...if you know anybody who works at or runs a trucking company (ask around, I bet you can find somebody who knows someone), ask how much they would charge to move you. I was able to have a friend come to Texas in a semi, and he packed up all of my stuff AND MY CAR inside the semi, and moved me back home. All he asked was that I pay for part of the fuel. I think I chipped in like $400. Fuel has gone up a little since then (that was 2009), but still...pretty cheap for a trip across the country!
May 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
I agree with the asking around! I moved from Nashville to AZ (2003) and ended up getting my Uhaul for about $100 because we knew someone who knew someone. So my brother drove my uhaul and I drove my van. Only major cost was gas and seriously considering gas now, it was CHEAP!

Good luck!
May 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
Well, you could pack both your cars, rent a uhaul one way and then have your husband and the lovely friend that drove the Uhaul fly back (assuming there is an airport not too far) and husband could ride the Harley back to your new home.

May 17th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Wanta.number2's Avatar Hi, I'm Tiffani!
Thanks for everyone's advice! We found out that since DH very recently left the Army, that we can do a DITY move and they reimburse a good chunk of it, BUT you guys gave me a few options we didn't think of. Moving is gonna be tight!! We are getting rid of a lot, but you count a motorcycle, all the beds, couches, and whatnot, it always ends up being more than you anticipate.
However, we did get the phone call this morning saying its a go! Just waiting on DH's background check to go through and get the formal offer on paper. I can't wait until we can finally get settled and relax. This year has been a freakin' circus!!!
May 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! We have moved a ton, and I've done everything from a 2 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom house. I was going to suggest a pod like Jennyrae suggested, if you have a few friends where you are now to help move the big furniture. Our most recent move when my daughter was a baby and my husband was already out here, my mom paid the extra bit for the movers to pack us as a present. It was awesome! Professional movers will be a couple thousand, and I would definitely recommend getting a few estimates.
May 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest a POD as well. We used a POD when we moved (and UHaul combined) and the POD was so nice because we didn't have to rush to unload it by a certain time and return it. They charge monthly and as long as we had it picked up by the date they charged our account for the month we weren't charged anything extra.
May 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
We've moved A LOT! Pregnant, with a newborn, and cross country a few times. Another way to help reduce cost, but not stress you out, is to hire people to pack you out and load up your uhaul truck. I highly recommend it if you can't do he full move from a company. Good luck with the move!

May 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've moved 3 times in the last 2+ years, twice pregnant, once about an hour away, twice 1 block-3 miles away. I moved from a 15.5 acre farm to a storage shed and a 2 bedroom duplex, then from the duplex/storage shed to a house, then from the house to another farm. bla!!! We have also moved twice over a few hours away, we were able to use family help, plus borrowed trailers and horse trailers, but the most recent we rented a uhaul, had family help pack and move since I was pregnant and then help unload. I have heard moving companies are expensive and break half your stuff whether you pack it or they do and then not sure how much I would trust craigslist (heard too many horror stories about that) letting someone unload all your valuables, whom you don't know, and they can see what you have w/o actually breaking into your residence. Up to you, but I wouldn't take those chances. Hopefully, it's painless and not very stressful so you can relax and kick up your feet soon!!!

May 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can probably fund the entire move with the partial amount they give you. That $6k move we did from Hawaii was a DITY. The military paid us $10k so we made a good chunk of money that we used to replace all the furniture we donated that wouldn't fit in crate.

Also that was the only long distance move where nothing was broken because I packed it.
May 17th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasaidh View Post
Cheapest way to move is a UHaul and some generous friends (who you pay with pizza and beer) to help you load and unload.
I agree, uhaul and friends paid in food and beer.

We are moving in 12 days. We rented a uhaul. I just reserved a 17 ft uhaul for under $150. Jon has 3 friends that will help us for the day. I will have breakfast for them in the morning, snacks packed for the drive and I will have beer and pizza for lunch. i always make Jon help his friends move so that they will return the favor for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search