Oh no... my daughter has Fifth's Disease!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wren
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last week my 2 year old daughter had a fever and cold symptoms. They went away gradually over this past week. Last night I noticed her cheeks were pink, and she had a slight rash on her cheeks and upper chest. This morning the rash on her cheeks is a lot redder and more prominent. I am 100% convinced she has Fifth's Disease... it fits the pattern perfectly. Her daycare provider (who has been doing daycare for 17 years and has seen a lot of kids with Fifths Disease) is also pretty sure it's that. She has a pediatrician appointment this afternoon just to confirm.

Of course the one childhood illness that is harmful to pregnant women is the one my daughter has!!!! I have no idea if I had it as a kid or if I'm already immune or not. I called my parents to see if they remembered, and they said one of us had it, but they weren't sure if it was me or my sister. I even called my childhood pediatrician (who shockingly STILL has my medical records, even though I'm 31 now!!!), and he said that they have no record of me having had it, but it doesn't mean I didn't have it.

I called my OB and they had me come in for a blood draw to see if I already have antibodies for it or not. I think the blood test also checks to see if I've been recently exposed. I'll get those results on Wednesday when I go in for my usual appointment. So now I just sit anxiously and wait to see. From what Dr. Google says, most of the time the fetus is OK, but sometimes it can lead to severe anemia, which can be bad enough to cause fetal death. I have been so scared this whole pregnancy of something happening, especially since my last two pregnancies ended in losses, that I'm just going crazy over here. Any words of support to get me through the next 2 days until I talk to my OB and get my results are appreciated...

August 2012 December 2012
May 20th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck on the waiting. Watch some trashy TV and eat some ice cream to keep your mind off things. Just remember that it is most likely that nothing bad will happen, but I understand that you are freaking out.
curlimama05 likes this.
May 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Julie
I understand you being very worried, I would be too. Just keep remembering that your OB said most of the time everything is fine with the baby. And is there a slim chance it is not fifth's disease? I would be hoping your child's pediatrician can give you some good news too. Good luck!

May 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Very scary, I wish you lots of luck. Hopefully you have already had it and don't have to worry.
curlimama05 likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Julie
Also, I just googled it, and the CDC states that most pregnant women are immune to it, and if not there is only a 5% chance of the baby having serious anemia, and it's more likely in earlier pregnancy.

May 20th, 2013, 09:32 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try not to worry too much until you get your results and talk to your dr. I hope you little girl gets better soon!

May 20th, 2013, 09:37 AM
BostonmamaSue12's Avatar Veteran
Please don't worry! My daughter caught it when I was pregnant with my second - right around 20 weeks and everything was fine. Praying for you though

Expecting #3 on September 30th! ITS A BOY!!

May 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ditto mrs Pea! wishing for the best and thinking of you and your daughter!
May 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry!

I'm sure everything will be fine. Please keep us posted on everything.
May 20th, 2013, 10:09 AM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was exposed last pg--coworker who came to work sick. I had the blood draw and another 2 weeks later to ensure the value did not increase. According to my labs, I had this before. Thinking back, my mom and I think I had it when I was 8-9--back before the Internet, so didn't know what it was.

May 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you get goo news from your test results! Sorry you have to go thru this!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ugs! KUP!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
May 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW! That's scary. I hope you and your child don't have the illness. Let us know how everything goes, please? Praying everything turns out okay.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
May 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes! Hope she gets better soon and the results come back fine! Is is possible it could be roseola? I don't know if exposure to pregnant women is the same though.
I know how you feel... We had chicken pox going around and even though I had it as a kid the idea of my girls getting it an possibly getting it again scares me.

May 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts!!! I can't help but sit here and google, and google is a scary scary place!!! I'm just praying I'm already immune... but I won't find that out until tomorrow or wednesday. I'll definitely keep you all posted though. I was JUST getting to the point of being a little less worried, and now I'm worried about losing this baby all over again!!!

August 2012 December 2012
May 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
huge hugs I am praying that you are already immune to this.

May 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter had Fifth's Disease when she was about 14 months old and what the dr. told us was to keep her away from anyone we knew who was in their first trimester of pregnancy. Apparently that is when there is a risk of loosing the baby, after the first trimester Fifth's Disease isn't likely to cause you to miscarry...at least that's what I was told. That was however in Jan of 2006 maybe doctors know more know. At any rate keep us posted. I hope everything is A-OK.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search