Question abt Netflix - Spin off from BostonmamaSue12's thread

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By sweety_pie
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 2 Post By ~*Nicole*~
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 2 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By iCathy
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By BostonmamaSue12

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was reading the responses to BostonmamaSue12 thread abt money saving ideas. A lot of you have mentioned ditching cable and getting Netflix instead. I am going ask some dumb questiones related to this. We have dish and we also have netflix. When we watch netflix we just login on our laptop and watch on it or when its a really good movie or show we hook up the laptop to our projector and watch on it. But we have two TVs that we bought abt 4 yrs back. They don't have any netflix and other apps. ie. they are not smart TVs. Whats the best way to hook them up to netflix without having to upgrade the TVs to better and newer ones or hooking up the lap top to them everytime? Are there inexpensive devices out there inthe market which can essentially pick up your wireless signal andthen have inbuilt aps for Hulu, netflix etc. ? I've seen a friend have a blue ray player which kinda has these features...but I hate it and its expensive too? I've also heard about ROKU. Anything else out there? How do you guys use netflix? Please enlighten me. I want to get rid of my $50 dish bill!

May 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use either the Xbox 360 or Wii so I'm not sure thats any help! lol
Anitha likes this.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

May 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
For $99 you can buy an apple tv that hooks into your tvs via HDMI (I think) and besides streaming your media (photos, movies, music etc) from your computer, they also can support a huge number of apps. You can also airplay when your laptop/phone gives you the little symbol - very handy.
Anitha likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
We watch thru our wii or a bluray player!

ETA you can also watch by hooking your computer to your tv with an hdmi cable
Anitha and soul_donut like this.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

May 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Also
Anitha likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have a Roku player for my netflix account. They are relatively cheap. My son uses his xbox to access it in the toy room.
Anitha and iCathy like this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you! We do connect the lap to to our projector or TV occasionally, but Iwas looking for a more permanent set up. We also have a Wii that is gathering dust for sooo long now. I completely forgot that you it has the netflix app. Not sure if it can do Hulu though I will be hooking it up today for netflix though! Yay! This apple TV thing is new to me...haven't heard much abt it. I am going to be looking at ROKU and Apple TV for a long term set up. Thank you ladies.
sweety_pie likes this.

May 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I know that the roku has hulu on it, but I don't subscribe, so I never use it.
Anitha likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
May 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We got a Google TV when we finally ditched our old tube TV a couple of years ago, so I am not much help, but my parents have a ROKU with Amazon Prime and Netflix on it and it seems to work well.
May 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Roku is better than Apple TV in my opinion. We love ours!
Anitha likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 22nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We use the Xbox
May 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
BostonmamaSue12's Avatar Veteran
Glad you asked this? I have questions too. So, is there a way to hook a laptop up to the TV and stream TV shows from websites like ABC.com, etc? Does roku or apple tv do this? most of our shows can be found online so that might help us out. We also have the wii to stream hulu or Netflix, but im worried about local TV like the news and my channels like TLC, ABC, etc. Thoughts?

Expecting #3 on September 30th! ITS A BOY!!

May 23rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonmamaSue12 View Post
Glad you asked this? I have questions too. So, is there a way to hook a laptop up to the TV and stream TV shows from websites like ABC.com, etc? Does roku or apple tv do this? most of our shows can be found online so that might help us out. We also have the wii to stream hulu or Netflix, but im worried about local TV like the news and my channels like TLC, ABC, etc. Thoughts?
Depending on where you live, you might be able to get by with just an antenna for ABC, NBC, FOX CBS etc. I don't think TLC is free on air.

As for connecting computer to the TV, check if your TV has a HDMI input - I think it would. If so just connect your lap top to the TV using a HDMI cable.

My Wii is 4 yrs old and connects to the TV using a three component or AV cable..not sure ifthe newer ones have HDMI?? I have to connect it tonight nad explore if HULU ec. can be watched via the Wii, I know I've seen netflix on it. ALso not sure if there is a browser option where you can just go and open up a website like ABC.com to watch streaming shows.

Hope that helps a bit.

ETA: We have this antenna and recieve all the major free on air networks like ABC, FOX, CBS etc. http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Digita...r-DTV/10542272

Last edited by Anitha; May 23rd, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
May 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitha View Post
Thank you! We do connect the lap to to our projector or TV occasionally, but Iwas looking for a more permanent set up. We also have a Wii that is gathering dust for sooo long now. I completely forgot that you it has the netflix app. Not sure if it can do Hulu though I will be hooking it up today for netflix though! Yay! This apple TV thing is new to me...haven't heard much abt it. I am going to be looking at ROKU and Apple TV for a long term set up. Thank you ladies.

Our big old box TV went out so we could only get a smart tv so no real help there. I did want to say we also have Hulu Plus. Hulu works great on our computers, but Hulu Plus is a pain on the TV. It constantly glitches when it switches to the ads, gets real annoying. We keep it so we can watch our series, though. If it works really well, between Netflix and Hulu you pretty much have everything.
Anitha likes this.
May 23rd, 2013, 09:04 AM
BostonmamaSue12's Avatar Veteran
SO helpful! For $8 ill try the antenna on one of our TVs and see how it works. Seems so crazy to pay so much for cable if we can get basic stations with it and then do the Netflix so my kids can watch spongebob...
Anitha likes this.

Expecting #3 on September 30th! ITS A BOY!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search