OT - book recommendations?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By QL1516
  • 1 Post By jennyrae03
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2013, 06:27 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Read any good books lately that you'd like to share/suggest that others read? I'm looking for a new book (or five, since I read fast!) and nothing is jumping out at me on Amazon.

I just finished reading Divergent and Insurgent. The third one doesn't come out until October (please little baby, stay in my belly long enough for me to read the third book!). I'd kind of like to read another series, if you know of any good ones!

I personally like fiction books, anything from Nicholas Sparks or the like, to things like Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight, Harry Potter...I read most fiction aside from serious sci-fi and historical fiction.

Help a girl out here!
June 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Leah
I love me some Harry Potter and Hunger Games and there are a few other series I get ASAP when the new books come out:
- The Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. She's a witch and a bounty hunter in a world where vampires, witches, fairies, etc are in the open after a virus. Some romance and action in there.
- Sookie Stackhouse, of course, Charlaine Harris. The first few seasons on the show mirror the books a lot, but then seems to go its own sometimes.
- The Zodiac series by Vicki Petterson. The idea is there's these two groups, good and evil, and they fight for balance. Probably a little more sci-fi than the others, but not on a Star Wars level.

I also think that mot fans of the Hunger Games would like several Stephen King works, like The Cell, The Stand, The Long Walk (Richard Bachman). They have that post-apocalyptic feel and The Long Walk actually features a competition amongst teens that's publicized and glamorized. HG is less dark being directed for teens, but the influence is there.

A few other authors I like that aren't series are Marian Keyes, Jane Greene.... More lighthearted chick-lit type stuff.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
June 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Leah, I love Marian Keyes! I have a few of her books in paperback that are boxed away because of our remodel - I haven't read them in years. Might be worth digging up! Thank you for the other suggestions! The first series you mentioned sounds especially appealing to me
June 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Leah
I just picked up the newest by Marian Keyes. It's the last Walsh sister, Helen - the one who has always been the most seemingly spoiled, sarcastic one? I just started it and I'm totally excited because I love that dysfunctional family. And Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married is one I've read a bunch if times.
jennyrae03 likes this.

June 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
I should buy and/or borrow some more of her books. I really enjoy the Walsh family too! Man, now I want to go home and get my books out of my basement!
QL1516 likes this.
June 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Leah
I'm with you on the re-reading - I really like that Irish humor in her books.

I'm pretty sure the first in the Rachel Morgan series is Dead Witch Walking. I hate going in and having to search for copyright dates to see what's first if they're not labeled. I think there are like 11 in the series now. If you do like those, then the other series may be am easy step.

June 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I just downloaded divergent on my kindle! I need a new book to get into. I recently finished reading "where'd you go, Bernadette?" which was a humorous mystery. I enjoyed it a lot. I've been reading a lot of Francine Rivers lately (rereading Redeeming Love, one of my all time favorites); her books are Christian/historical fiction so not for everyone, but I'd recommend her to anyone who enjoys the genre.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

June 2nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I liked Hunger Games, but couldn't get into Divergent. Only read the first book, and I hated it. I loved Harry Potter and hated Twilight. I've read them all so I can actually say that I still hate them. lol

So 50/50 chance you might like these:

Song of Ice and Fire series. Aimed toward adults, might not read like the books you listed.

The Giver. It's dystopian. I actually haven't read the second and third books yet.

Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. It reads a bit like a teen vampire series, but it is for adults. I haven't read them all. Gives you just enough of everything. Good plot, good characters, nice action, have some bite scenes, and doesn't leave you wanting more with the lack of sex while not making it a book only about that.

Entwined. It's a 12 dancing princesses rewrite. I really enjoyed it.

I'm starting on Beautiful Creatures next.
June 2nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I WISH I had some suggestions for you... I have not read a good fiction book in AGES!!! the last one was when I was pregnant for my daughter three years ago! It was "the Hidden Garden" can't remember the author's name (someone borrowed it and I can't remember who). I found it at Target and it was really good.
Otherwise, if you want a pregnancy related book I've got a ton of suggestions lol.

June 3rd, 2013, 05:49 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Have you ever read Karen Moning's Fever series? I really liked those. They are about the Fae.
Karen Marie Moning
QL1516 likes this.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
Have you ever read Karen Moning's Fever series? I really liked those. They are about the Fae.
Karen Marie Moning
This series is SO good!
jamieshalon2 likes this.
June 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read divergent and insurgent. I really liked them but started to get annoyed with the main character towards the end of book two.

I am currently reading Pure, which is a trilogy. It is very interesting for sure, but I like it.

I just finished the walking dead comic book series compendium 1 and 2 and LOVED them. It is different from the show so even if you watch the show you will still love the books (I don't like reading stuff when I know the complete story already).

Other than that, a few years back I read the book thief and loved it. I also read a book called breathers that was fun and cute. It was a zombie love story. Very easy read. And I loved the Guernsey Sweet Potato Pie & Literary Society book (or whatever it's called, lol). It was endearing.

Anyways, happy reading!!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the Fifty Shades series

The Southern Vampire Mysteries series about Sookie Stackhouse like Leah mentioned is good. James Patterson has the Women's Murder Club series. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Anything by James Patterson is good in my opinion. Rose Madder by Stephen King is good too. Pillars of the Earth will leave you wanting more but to my knowledge, they haven't published a new book in awhile.

Good luck choosing something good!

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
June 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Also, have you thought about the Game of Thrones books? I know I really like the show and have thought about reading the books too.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
Karen Marie Moning
Speaking of fairy books, try the Iron Fey series. I really enjoyed that one, too.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search