Ocular migraines?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone ever get one of these?? I've had 4 this past 2 weeks, I get this weird zig zag line thats flashing across one of my eyes, and blurred vision. My eyes just don't feel right at all, really freaks me out. Lasts about 15-20 mins then i gets a slight-moderate headache. I've googled some and came across other ladies talking about feeling the same symptoms during pregnancy. Wondering if anyone here has dealt with this? I'm gonna mention it at my appointment on weds just to be safe, really freaks me out.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
June 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I read something about vision changes during pregnancy like dry eyes and blurred vision. My eyes feel really dry in the mornings almost to the point if I close them hard they will start to tear up. I haven't heard anything about migraines though or the zig zag thing you mentioned. I hope it goes away and you get some answers!
June 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had that with my first pregnancy, and for me it was related to preeclampsia. High blood pressure can give you headaches and cause vision disturbances like you are describing. Some of mine would be flashing lines, but mostly I had this weird hologram rainbow across my vision, just floating there.

Lay down and put your feet up for a while to see if that helps. Call your doctor for sure. They can at least check your urine for protein or give you a blood test.
June 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hope its not blood pressure related My blood pressure has been fine at every appointment so far, can that change really fast? Has always been about 107/70. I will check my blood pressure at walmart tomorrow and see, try and hold out until weds to see my doc and ask her.

June 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I don't know how sudden preeclampsia can set in. for me, I started to regularly spill protein in my urine at 18ish weeks. Around 24 weeks my blood pressure started spiking. 150+/90+. Had the 24 hour urine done twice. They messed up the first test, and said the second was fine. I definitely had it, though. Switched doctors and suddenly I'm on bedrest and getting induced. I hadn't gained anything during my pregnancy, hyperemesis to thank, and the last week I was pregnant I gained 13 lbs. I got so swollen from it.

I also had carpal tunnel starting around 18 weeks. My first OBGYN said it was not pregnancy related. He was an idiot.

But if your bp is low and your urine is fine, I wouldn't worry about pre-e. You might just need a vision test. I sometimes get little flashes that look like fireflies. It's to do with my eyes getting older. My vision is 20/20, but I still get that. Your eyes get more liquidy in there, and the muscles stretch and pull. It might just be maturing eye balls.
June 7th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I actually had my eyes checked about 3 months ago and all seemed fine, guess I will have to wait and see what my doc says about it all! lol I will be sure to check my blood pressure tomorrow too in case! Thanks for your help

June 8th, 2013, 04:51 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didnt have occular migraines, l had neurological migraines with my last pregnancy. I did have the occasional flashes and once in a while id go completely blind in one eye.

I was followed very closely by a neurologist my whole pregnancy. Unfortunately there is very little that can be done. Have you tried immitrex? This helps some with migraines if taken early enough and is safe during pregnancy. Also a very low dose of ellavil nightly sometimes helps. Neither helped me (no surprise as I have tolerance for a lot of meds) and I was givenpain meds to take as needed.

June 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I haven't tried anything yet, will have to ask my doc about it weds.

June 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get regular migraines on occasion but I've only had an ocular migraine once (not pregnancy related). It was a little scary since I started losing my vision and had no idea what was going on. My eye doctor had me come in immediately to get checked but its never happened again. Glad you're getting seen for it.
June 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get ocular migraines all the time (aka migraines with aura). Mine are caused by hormones. They really suck. Normally I get them during pregnancy only during the third trimester. This time I got them while I was taking progesterone in the first trimester. Not fun when you can't take any medicine (frova).

I used to get just one every period but now I get several a month. I hate it! I have ended up in the ER because of the pain. Be happy you don't get them too bad. Mine are pretty much unbearable

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah I'm thankful the pain isn't usually too bad, just the eye thing freaks me out, like I'm going blind. Can;t wait to get checked out by my doc, calm my nerves some! lol

June 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ya, it really sucks being blind. Especially when I have to leave work and drive home for an hour with partial vision! I'm used to it now, but I used to get horrible anxiety once the eye stuff would start (about an hour later it gets better but then the pain hits)

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I get migraines in general, but nothing like that. My vision does get effected, but its more like blurry and light hurts.

Have you charted when this happens? keep track of it and tell the doc maybe just in case?

June 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I know the 4 times its happened so far, so I will tell her!

June 10th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've suffered with Occular Migraine symptoms for many many years. Mines not related to pregnancy though, so not related to pre-e.

Mama to -
DD15, DD14, DD12, DS10, DS5, DD2

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search