I might score this swing. How much should I offer to pay?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By jamieshalon2
  • 2 Post By Fortroseberry
  • 1 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 2 Post By SouthernBelle86
  • 1 Post By Jackie1122
  • 1 Post By MrsHoot
  • 1 Post By mizza411
  • 1 Post By Druslady96
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By FishermansWife4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our neighborhood had a community garage sale on Saturday and I found this baby swing in great condition.

Bright Starts InGenuity Cradle and Sway Swing, BellaVista - Walmart.com

I think you can buy it new for $120. The lady( friend of the baby's mom) is asking for $60.

But I am cheap. I told her I don't want to pay more than $30 as this would be a second swing for the the downstairs (I am eyeing the mamaroo for upstairs and its $200 ) And I know thats too low. So I wanted to exchange numbers and emails to see if she still hadn't sold it after the garage sale.

Well I emailed her this AM and she responded and copied her friend (who is the owner of the swing) that they still have it.

Should I still offer $30 or is it too less? Should I offer more? What do you guys think of this swing?

Thanks for any opinions

June 17th, 2013, 08:29 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
To me it would depend on what condition the swing is in. Since you say it is in great condition (did you see it working to make sure that all the features still work and the battery compartment doesn't have battery acid buildup?), then I may offer her $45 if you are willing to pay that and see if she would take that offer. She may since it didn't sell for her before. It is a really cute swing.
Anitha likes this.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Fortroseberry's Avatar Veteran
I paid $60 for a similar one. It plugs into the wall (different) than all my others for my other kids, so it was totally worth it!
Anitha and Druslady96 like this.

June 17th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't open the battery compartment to check, but it did work...it seemed to pick up a very slowly, but at the max speed setting its seemed to finally gain momentum. Not that I would need for a baby swing to go any faster than that, but I chalked the slow pick up to may be an old battery. There was one 2 inch spot of something like milk or spit up stain - barely visible- but looked like it would come right off if I washed it. The plush new born insert and the main swing seat cover are washable...she didn't have the tray and I didn't ask abt it as I hadn't checked out the model online at that time.

The owner emailed me that someone else on FB was interested in it, but was taking time to respond. Since I live in the same neighborhood as her, she'd be willing to sell it to me first...I still don't know ...I will def have to buy another swing possibly brand new...so I am loathe to spend too much ..but you are right $45 does sound reasonable ...hmmm I'll think abt it some more . Thank you Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortroseberry View Post
I paid $60 for a similar one. It plugs into the wall (different) than all my others for my other kids, so it was totally worth it!

This one does not plug in. But the reviews say the batteries last a loooong time. One reviewer said 6 months and that he had used it lot more than average.

June 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was think $40-$45 seems reasonable as well! Really cute swing!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

June 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say $40 - she might respond with a $45.

June 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have that swing, but it's blue with turtles. Mine plugs into the wall, and I did like having it. I will say that the back is not molded like the backs of the Snugabunny Shop for the Fisher Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle 'n Swing at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. . I had to use folded receiving blankets to get the support. If you don't mind that, then go for it. I wouldn't pay $60, but I might go to $45.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
June 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My only concern would be the fact that it doesn't plug in. We had a swing that operated on 4 D batteries, and we used it so much that we had to replace the batteries almost every week. That got very expensive. My husband (who is an engineer) ended up taking the battery compartment apart and adapting it so that we could plug it in (yay for smart hubbies!). So just from my own experience, I would only get swings that plug in. But we used ours a LOT. If this is just a second swing that you might not be using as much, then perhaps the plug-in thing isn't as important.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

August 2012 December 2012
June 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well Thank you ladies. During the garage sale the friend said that the owner had paid $120 for it and it is asking for $60. Now I emailed her that I could offer $35 and she says she paid $188 for it and is asking $80. She already has an offer from the FB lady (who is taking her time responding ) for $65 and since I live close by she could sell for $60 and that would be the lowest she'd go. I think she is not being honest on many things....but whatever - people do what they have to do to get the best price when they sell stuff. I replied with $45 would be my max or else she can please pursue the other offer. She hasn't responded. I am not too worried...I still have time and I am sure I'll find a good one somewhere

Edited to correct some typos

Last edited by Anitha; June 17th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
June 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
She might be telling the truth about the $188. I got mine from Target, and before taxes it was like $160. Mine also didn't come with a tray. I did end up getting the exact model you posted from a friend of my brother's. It had the tray, but it did not plug in. The tray was annoying because it squashed Winter's legs, and once the batteries ran out I stuck it in a yard sale. Yeah, they only lasted a couple weeks.

(EDIT: I had both the blue one without the tray and this brown one with. Still have the blue.)

The models online are only $120ish. Store prices differ. I agree with others. Make sure that thing plugs into the wall! The music from these is nice and soothing.
Anitha likes this.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
June 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought that discrepancy was odd - her friend specifically said the lady got it for $120 - I didn't ask for that information In anycase great point abt going for a plug-in rather than battery ones. Will be looking for those...

June 17th, 2013, 02:12 PM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Baby stuff isn't cheap, you want to get a good deal and not be taken advantage of but at same time need to be fair and offer a decent fair price. My sister just sold a very nice swing that cost almost $200.00 new for 80-100 on craigslist recently. I think half of what the brand new price is more than fair and reasonable, there is no way I would accept less than half of what a item is worth if I was selling a expensive baby item. My mom just bought me a very nice graco swing/bouncer combo new for $150.00. Someday when I am done with it I will sell it for at least $75.00. Better to get half your investment back than nothing at all.
Anitha and Druslady96 like this.
June 17th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran
Every now and then I come across something on Craigslist that I want but don't feel like the asking price is right. I always make people an offer and if I feel like my offer is too low, I just mention that while their item looks like it is in great condition and worth that money, I am on a budget and can only afford xx amount. It is the honest truth, I wouldn't be looking on Craigslist for something if I could afford everything brand new!
Anitha likes this.
June 17th, 2013, 07:51 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I would have done the same as you price wise. 45 sounds reasonable, and if she can really get someone to take it for 65 then more power to her! I too am cheap and am surprised at what some people list their stuff for. Everything loses value when it's used! The best is when someone sells something used for 20 dollars less than what you can buy it for new. (big eye roll!!)
Anitha likes this.

June 17th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with MrsHoot! So ridiculous.

You have so much time if she doesn't accept then too bad you'll find another. We're looking too on Kijiji and will try to get a deal. I think 50% of the initial price is an ok start at the top end, but I've sold many items for less than that. It's worth what someone else will pay for it, end of story.
Anitha likes this.
June 17th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Druslady96's Avatar Veteran
I bought the swing used from my friend and although I likely could have requested a cheaper deal. I knew she was selling it because she needed the money too otherwise she would have just donated it. I think half price is reasonable, especially considering that there only used a few months.
Anitha likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think half of what they paid is a good deal.
Anitha likes this.
June 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think if it's used $45 is fine. Any response yet? The swing is super cute by the way.
Anitha likes this.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search