1st Time ChildBirth Classes?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I need advice for a first time mother here and my husband. We are wanting to take childbirth classes but our only time option is July or September for classes that are open. If we take the July class I will finish when I am 30 weeks pregnant, they are once a week for 4-5 weeks. If I take the September one it will end on the 30th and I will be 38 weeks pregnant when we finish. Not sure if we should do the early July class or the right before we are due class so it's fresh in our minds but I'm nervous that we will be cutting it close as I know alot of people have babies between 36-38 weeks early.

So July or September class???
June 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a first time mother too, and I have decided to bypass the childbirth classes. I've heard from many people that I won't need it (hopefully I don't regret that decision!) plus the classes are PRICEY around where I live- like $500 bucks for a couple.

BUT to answer your question I think you should go with July, so you don't cut it too close and I'm sure the information will retain long after its over. Good luck and keep us posted!
June 17th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks, the classes here where I live fill up fast and you have to grab what you can. lol. They cost $110.00 for the 4 week class so i think it should be worth it for us since we have never done this before. I am just nervous if I take it too early that I will forget things and if I take it too late will miss them. lol.
June 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say take em. It can't hurt. Now I have never taken them, and I don't think anything could have prepared me for pushing my second daughter out, but that is another story. I think childbirth classes that focus on a specific technique would be more useful than just a generic childbirth class (hypnobirthing, bradley, etc).

Also, I would take the September class. Since you are a first time mom, the likelihood of you having your baby earlier is less than someone that has more than one child. It could happen, definitely, but even if it did you would most likely only miss a week or so. What are they going over in the last class?

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 17th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Julie
I would take the July class.

June 17th, 2013, 04:50 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
really it depends on the nature of the class, ask the instructor if they talk mostly about the process of labor or about relaxation techniques for labor. if Relaxation is the key of the class you will absolutely benefit more from the July class (that way you have time to practise the methods at home before baby arrives). If the class focuses on what happens during labor then it really doesn't matter what one you take, and if you take the later one and have the baby before the class is finished the other moms will love it if you show up tell your story and show off the baby.

June 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with the others about the type of class it is! For my first, I took the standard hospital class and to be honest, it was a WASTE of time/money. I didn't learn anything really- and it was all tailored to the different options and medical interventions that could possibly used if things go wrong. If it's a "method" class like lamaze or something, I guess I would lean towards September because then it would be fresh in your mind right before labor! But I also agree with the PP that if they are sharing techniques to practice, that it might be beneficial to do them in July so you have time to practice.

June 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran
I also agree to take the July class. We took the class closest to our due date with our first and we missed the last class (the one I was most interested in) because I was in labor - early. Our hospital offered free classes and the nurse that taught the class was our delivery nurse. The last class covered basic newborn care, I would have really liked my husband to have had that so he would have been a little more comfortable in the beginning with things, I still don't think he is comfortable with bath time and our little one is 14 months old!

June 18th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the same exact choice for my hypnobirthing class, and we chose July. More time to get the techniques down. However if it's just a generic class about bathing and swaddling etc I would take it in September, or take good notes in July.
June 18th, 2013, 11:26 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Take the early classes! You never know what will happen towards the end. I was planning on taking classes around 30 weeks, now I'm on full bed rest and wont get to take classes....and we're first timers as well, really could have used a class.
June 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Thank you ladies for the advice, my husband preferred that we signed up for the July class so I went ahead and signed up today. I am really looking forward to them and I will be 30 weeks along when we finish them so will have plenty of time to learn and practice before if gets too close to due date.
June 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Just got confirmation that our classes start the middle of july and are on Tuesday evenings at 7:00pm for a couple hours. There are 4 classes total and they include a tour of hospital as well. They said to wear comfortable clothes and to bring a pillow or blanket for exercises. This should be a interesting experience. lol

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search