Anyone hoping for a natural child birth?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
You can totally do it!! I had a VBAC after 2 c/s and we're planning a HB for this one. I'm excited!
Lotsakids and slmehaffey like this.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

June 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_donut View Post
I am willing my vagina to be all that it can be.
Amazing! lol
June 19th, 2013, 06:22 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My original birth plan with DD1 was to go all natural. I never can now and I'm okay with that. I think you ladies who are willing to try it are amazing. Good luck to all of you, regardless how it turns out, at least you gave it a shot and consideration!

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
June 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most of my deliveries have been natural either with just gas & air, or nothing. The last one was a medically necessary induction that ended up with alot of intervention, & the only epidural I have ever had, but thankfully it still went well.

That said I have had 3 posterior babies, 1 nuchal hand, & 1 big baby with bad positioning that got 'stuck.' If I had had an epidural with him I am almost certain he would have been a c-section, because he took 2 hours of pushing in every position possible & then getting off of the bed & squatting, (it opens the pelvis up by up to another 1/4,) to get him out.
With the posterior babies I think that they could have also ended up with a huge amount of intervention/c-sections. By going natural I was able to get on to all fours, drape over the top of the bed, walk around, etc... So they all turned. Being stuck in the bed with an epi they may not have turned & may have become 'stuck.'

So I am hoping that I will be able to have another natural delivery. That said if I end up needing another induction for medical reasons I will be fine with that too
slmehaffey likes this.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
June 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have had natural and induced and epis with bad experiences with induction and epis.

For me natural was best. Hurt like heck but at that point of I can't do it anymore it really is the end.

I would like to go natural BUT with word that I am not to go past 39 weeks and that's if baby doesn't stop growing before its a big question mark as to what will happen or how this one will go.

June 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first was an epi with a 2nd degree episiotomy. My 2nd was an epi with no tearing at all. I wanted the epi for the episiotomy/tearing factor mostly, but seeing as I didn't have that issue I'm very willing to try natural now.

With my 17 week induction all I had was stadol (it was recommended to get an epi) because it was intense, contraction like cramping, but no rhythm/breaks just straight through. I think if it had been more come and go I would have been fine without anything. I progressed to a 6 for that. Plus, my doctor "worked" on me (elbow deep-- yikes!) for 45 minutes trying to get all the placenta out and I wasn't on anything at that point.

This time.... my plan is to wait as long as possible before going to the hospital in hopes that the baby will be right there and will have no time for an epi I do very well laboring at home and using my own shower/tub for comfort. The minute I step into a new place I lose focus and my adrenaline starts going and I just get ahead of myself.

I'll have a better idea of a plan when I know where (here or FL) we will actually be at the time of birth. I'm still throwing around the idea of a homebirth vs hospital. I'd LOVE to have a waterbirth...

June 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
I would love a natural birth. I was planning it the first time around but things didn't go as planned. I was hoping that contractions would start and I could labor at home but nope my water broke at home. Which means I went to the hospital and after my body didn't progress I ended up with Pitocin, which started the back labor which tensed up my body and I ended up still not progressing so we ended up with an epidural as well.

I will never plan on how I expect my labor to go, because I really don't know.

June 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a homebirth this time.. I have had a pitocin birth with no pain meds, and a natural labor ending in c-section (when my daughter's cord prolapsed...long story) and comparing the two, if you can do a pitocin birth with no pain meds you can absolutely do a natural birth with no pain meds (just my oppinion).
If any of you are considering a natural birth but afraid that they may push interventions on you, get who ever is on you 'birth team' (whether that is a doula, husband, friend, sister, mother whoever) to understand that you WANT to labor without interuption, so they can ask the nurses to please leave you alone, re-inforce the intermittent monitoring, or not to ask you if you are 'ready' for an epi... that really helps. Also when ANYTHING is offered use this phrase 'I'd like some time to think about it." that not only gives you time to think about it, but it also free's you up so you don't feel pressured to do something you don't want to do, and if you don't have a doula around to inform you of the risks and benefits then when they come back to talk to you about it you can ask your questions then. Otherwise you probably wont think of the questions and might be tempted to just go with what the doctor suggested because they are the 'professional'
One other suggestion, treat the hospital as a hotel rather than a hospital. you are RENTING their room for the duration of your labor, they can be your 'room service' getting you the things that you WANT, not what they tell you you want. There is of course a time and a place for the doctor to tell you what is in your best interest, but for the most part it should be your decision, and they should respect that. Don't see your self as a patient, yes birth hurts, but you are not there for a medical condition that needs treatment, you are there for monitoring incase a medical condition should occur, so if one doesn't, get out of your bed, play a card game between contractions, walk around, bounce on a ball... Oh and my favorite.. (though I've not done it myself because of imbarrasement) make out with your husband.
If you are all loosened up from kissing and making out your 'down there' will be loose too... and that makes for a much less painful, much more natural childbirth. So really see your hospital room as a hotel room rather than a hospital.
just my two cents.

June 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
My first I had an epi 11hrs active labor
My second was natural but almost an emergency c section no meds 3hrs active labor
My third was all natural no meds and great 3hrs active labor
My fourth was again all natural no meds 3hrs active labor

I am sure I will go natural this time too but will do what's needed no matter what!
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 11mo 10/10/13

June 20th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran
I tried really hard my first time around to go natural waterbirth but after 20+ hours of labor and almost constant vomitting/dry heaving with every contraction I had to get some pain relief. I am going to try and come up with a better plan to deal with the vomitting (how my body deals with pain) this time around so I can make it naturally, fingers crossed!

June 20th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmehaffey View Post
Oh and my favorite.. (though I've not done it myself because of imbarrasement) make out with your husband.
If you are all loosened up from kissing and making out your 'down there' will be loose too... and that makes for a much less painful, much more natural childbirth. So really see your hospital room as a hotel room rather than a hospital.
just my two cents.
Lol, while I was in labor with Sawyer (when the midwife wanted me more dialated) she told me she would leave the birth center for an hour so we could have sex. She said it would help me progress faster. So we did it while I was in labor. Not exactly romantic, more like, "if you can do this quickly I will owe you forever."
slmehaffey likes this.

June 20th, 2013, 06:28 PM
That is AWESOME!!! I'm proud of you for doing it, I've told all my clients to feel free to make out, but they never want to... I mean I tell them I'll leave, not be like standing there watching or anything..

June 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So do you just ask your doula to leave for 15 minutes? We want to make out... Lol. You guys are making me miss DH right now!

June 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM
pretty much Erin!
it is a spincher muscle thing... you loosen one spincher you loosen them all.. good idea to keep your jaw really loose while in labor so that your cervix will take it's cues from a muscle you have more control over. clench your jaw, clench your cervix.

also as someone else mentioned adrenaline is awful for labor, if you feel like you are in danger your body pumps adrenaline to your muscles and organs and labor ceases, best to be in your most relaxed comfortable state of mind through out the hard work of labor.

June 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM
My first baby was not natural in the sense that I was hooked up to i.v. for group b and eventually had pitocin and demerol. I was young and didn;t know better, coupled with back labor and a poor staff of nurses. the next 4 were completely natural, I refused the i.v and had the hep lock for a few of them. This time, im refusing a hep lock.

I basically stay home as long as I can, get to the hospital during active labor and go in the shower from then till transition- jump out when ready to push. and thats that.

I would highly recommend using a shower to help. it really makes it so much more manageable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search