Braxton Hicks

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Are you getting BH contractions?
Yes 22 75.86%
No 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Ladies, I had no idea all this time that I was getting BH contractions until yesterday's 23/24 week appointment. I described them as "hard belly" - a sudden feeling that my belly was rock hard (different than it being like that when I wake up or something, know what i mean?) and it is more difficult to move around for a few minutes. WHO KNEW?! So of course now with that in mind and an idea about frequency I'm totally worried about them. She said more than 6 a day is worrisome, and several per hour worrisome too. I feel like I get them at that frequency! I'm emailing myself when I get them now to see if there is a pattern. I'm not officially concerned.. more like concerned by the suggestion. I cough when I hear other people cough, for example. I have a flight tomorrow, and Friday, but after that I've officially grounded myself. Starting this weekend, I am officially a Floridian until next winter! I am ok with that.

So, not everybody gets these lovely contractions. Are you getting them? How do you make them feel better?
happywife likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 06:13 AM
happywife's Avatar Super Mommy
Maybe a few day, most days I don't even notice them.

Make sure that you are staying hydrated. I still wouldn't be concerned though unless they start hurting. BH's are just your body getting ready for labor.

Married to my bestfriend Graham and proud mommy to Codi - 15, Kevin - 13, DJ - 11, Mylyn & McKynlee - 3 & Graham Jr. ~born on Earth, living in Heaven ~ May 9, 2012
June 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I get them too. Not too frequently, but I probably get several a day. I think at this point it is totally natural to have them. Keep hydrated like happywife said and they should ease up for you. If not and then get painful then call the doc. I don't remember when I got them with my first pregnancy, but it comes faster with each one after that.
happywife likes this.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 18th, 2013, 06:56 AM
CountryMedic911's Avatar Kerana mama to be in 2013
I get them like 1 or 2 times a day I just drink water and lay down for 5-10 min and they go away.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for the awesome siggy!

June 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I've had them, but then again I attribute hard belly to gas.. so maybe it's BH not gas/bloating

June 18th, 2013, 07:45 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Truthfully, I don't know - I do feel like once in a while my belly gets hard.

I don't know how else to say this other than to be a little graphic, but...it always happens after hubby and I are intimate, when I "O"...I assume that is not a BH, and just a uterine contraction in response to the "O."

However, if that's what a contraction feels like, then I suppose that happens to me maybe once a day? (Not the "O", I mean a contraction hahaha).
June 18th, 2013, 07:57 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post

I don't know how else to say this other than to be a little graphic, but...it always happens after hubby and I are intimate, when I "O"...I assume that is not a BH, and just a uterine contraction in response to the "O."

However, if that's what a contraction feels like, then I suppose that happens to me maybe once a day? (Not the "O", I mean a contraction hahaha).
The BH and the regular hard belly are similar but not exactly the same for me. But I bet it's different for everyone. My midwife called BH's "tight bear hugs" in the stomach region.

LOL about the O. I think those are just uterine contractions.. I haven't had them in the 2nd trimester while boning but know what you mean! I mean, making love.
June 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep once or twice a day!
June 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrae03 View Post

I get this too and my belly gets hard and looks bigger. It's just your uterus hardening/contracting a little bit. They said its good practice!

I do get some Braxton hicks, more when I don't drink enough or overdo it!

June 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I get them about 5 times a day. I get them most often when I move suddenly or change positions. Laying watching a movie and then jump up to go do something and come back and lay down. I got them lots with my first also.

June 18th, 2013, 09:37 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get a few each day too I think. If I'm up doing a lot, then I always get it! Then I lie down and drink water to get it to go away.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

June 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get a lot of them everyday. I am still not concerned. I had them albeit less frequently last time. But they say you feel them more in your second and subsequent pregnancies. Plus I watch out for them getting too frequent or increasingly intense or regular. I would say I get about 5 -6 minimum per day...may be even 10. But within an hour during a particularly active BH time I might get about 3. They are not painful. Just tight, a bit uncomfortable and I experience some shortness of breath kind of feeling.

June 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the hard belly when I get my contractions....with our recent trips to the doctor and another to labor & delivery yesterday when I had more contractions I've had several doctors and three different labor and delivery nurses all say the same things - drink a lot of water. If you think you're drinking a lot, drink more. Take it easy, put your feet up. Track the contractions to see if there is a pattern and how they are spaced. They say changing what your doing and staying really hydrated usually stops them. Its really difficult to lay down and take it easy when you have things to get done but I notice it helps.
June 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get them sporadically. It's quite normal. Just drink lots of water and take it a little easier and you'll be fine. I notice I get them more when I am lifting heavy things and doing too much and eating too much junk.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Julie
I was having them alot yesterday, and today i had two in one hour, but i'm not concerned yet. I think they would have to get more uncimfortable for me to worry.

June 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been getting them in the evenings every few days.
I try and drink extra water and lay down if I can, until they chill.
June 18th, 2013, 12:47 PM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
I've been getting them since around 16 weeks. I was actually having one during my ultrasound. Crazy seeing it on the monitor. Like all the other ladies say just put your feet up, relax and drink plenty of water if you notice them happening more often.

June 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
When I get them, my heart beats kind of fast. Idk if that happens to anyone but me tho. Anyway, I've been getting them since pretty early on. I got them last pregnancy too and get them quite often now. They don't really concern me tho. Definite difference between them and real contractions (pain!!).
June 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, I voted no, but that is because they have not started 'yet'....
here is some information for you that you may not be aware of...
Braxton Hicks contractions are considered 'practice' for your uterus for the big day, they are only really worrisome if they are changing your cervix, you don't need to worry about having your cervix checked though, you'll know when they are serious believe me.
With both of my previous pregnancies I had them constantly from about 30 weeks on. With my first I started dialating early and was 6cm dialated for 3 WEEKS before having my baby boy.
Things to keep in mind, EVERYONE has them, not everyone feels them, you don't need to feel them to be normal, in fact feeling them makes you a little abnormal I think (at least early on anyway).
If you are experiencing them and they feel regular or are happening more than you are comfortable, or increasing in discomfort you need to sit down, with a big glass of water, drink the whole thing and use the bathroom, grab another glass of water and when it is gone use the bathroom again.. if they have not stopped by this time you may want to call your DR or midwife.
If they happen when laying down, change your position, or get up, don't really increase your activity, just don't lay down... and vise versa, if happening while standing or sitting then lay down.. sometimes your body is just saying it doesn't like the way you are sitting/laying...
dehydration, over full blatter, fatigue, and stress can all triger them, reduce the chances for those things and you reduce your chances of having Braxton Hicks. Although it can be a completely normal thing for some people. As I mentioned with my first pregnancy I had them a lot was at one point put on bedrest for a day, another day I was hospitalized, but my baby wasn't coming just yet. I had them regularly like clockwork every three minutes lasting about 20 seconds for a week straight... and yet when my water broke my contractions didn't start on their own... silly body.
as well as watching to see a regular pattern you will also want to keep track of how long the actual contraction lasts too... if less than 30 secs, it probably isn't something to worry about... if 45 secs or longer you need to be concerned (especially if they are regular).
Hope all that helps. I've gotta give someone this information...lol.. getting clients as a doula in a rural area is torture and I've got a wealth of information that is just spoiling in my brain... sorry for the lecture.
mizza411 likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 05:40 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I get them randomly. So annoying.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search