On the fence about trying BF'ing again

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Super Mommy
I nursed #1 and 2 easily from the get go for a year. With #3, I was doing everything the same, but it just wasn't working. I saw the LC in the hospital and the pediatrician, but the the LC didn't help much and the ped said it was just me. Um no, I've done this for 2 years of my life, and am doing it correctly. I kept trying, pumping, hurting, blistering, etc, and finally saw a different LC at a different hospital who said he was tongue tied. I told her that the ped and LC didn't think so, but she insisted that's what it was. I went to the ped to get a referral to n ENT, which he argued with me about and finally said "fine, we'll see what he says". Well the ENT said he WAS tongue tied, clipped it and immediately started nursing. I guess my point is with #3 my supply went down because he wasn't nursing right and couldn't nurse right. All the "experts" said to give up and supplement. I finally found the right person to diagnose correctly and it worked. So what may happen to you with one child may be completely different with another. Give it a shot and don't be hard on yourself for trying.
June 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran
Not sure if you have the time but it might help to go to a La Leche meeting before you have the baby. I think being around other sucessful nursing mothers might help you feel more confident. Even if you try and it doesn't work out in the long run at you least you will know you tried and gave it your best - please don't get depressed if it doesn't work, you tried!!

June 19th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I used to work in a local WIC office and helped LOTS of new moms with breastfeeding. I talked to many moms that were able to successfully breastfeed after having several previously formula fed kids. If you feel like it is something you want to try, I would say go for it! Even if you are only able to breastfeed for a month, a week, or even just a day, it is better than none. Breast milk is packed full of antibodies that help to keep baby healthy, prevent allergies later in life, and many other things. A little breast milk is better than none so you really can't fail at it if you just tell yourself you are going to try your best.
June 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Normally I would say just try and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but since you have so many frustrating attempts behind you I think the whole thing is going to be built up in your head. Maybe you can just set a strict time table ahead of time and say that you are going to breastfeed for the first week just to get the colostrum, and start supplementing with formula after that.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search