Stocking Up?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By *Lana*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So a few people have suggested that we start stocking up on diapers and wipes before the baby gets here. I have a few questions about this:

1. How do I know what to buy?? What if I buy what I *think* is going to work for us, and then it ends up not working? Then I'm stuck with a bunch of crap we don't like - do you just use it anyway to get rid of it?

2. How MUCH do I buy? How many packs of newborn diapers, size 1, etc? I have no idea how many I will use and for how long...

3. What else do you suggest you stock up on?

I'm so confused! lol
June 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wipes- easy! Pampers and Huggies and luvs are all good. buggies supreme are my absolute fave! We use luvs now though since they are cheaper and I like them second best. . As far as diapers, every baby is different so I would just get different brands and you'll learn what you like and what you don't.

FWIW- we despised Huggies at the newborn size, he always had blow outs with them, but we liked them later on as he got a bigger booty and moved around more. With Sawyer, I just started picking up a box or bag of wipes every time I went grocery shopping and stock piled from there. Newborns we used for about the first month, but they go through a lot a day! I would say almost 8 diapers a day...but Sawyer pooped a lot, so others may have had different experiences.

June 23rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
1. How do I know what to buy?? What if I buy what I *think* is going to work for us, and then it ends up not working? Then I'm stuck with a bunch of crap we don't like - do you just use it anyway to get rid of it?
I would buy some diapers of what you think will work from a store that will let you return them if unopened and if they don't work you can change them for another brand/ size. I would also apply this to clothes. Wait till baby is here before pulling tags off and washing everything maybe you could get Dh or a friend to help with this after you know they will fit. My 2nd wore preemie the first few weeks. My third we had to return all cute newborn christmas outfits we got and get 0-3 months. She went into size 1 diapers as soon as we got home from the hospital, as newborn where too small!

2. How MUCH do I buy? How many packs of newborn diapers, size 1, etc? I have no idea how many I will use and for how long... The newborn I'd buy just enough for the first 2weeks until the cord falls off sense they are more expensive then the next size up (I'd say about 7-8 per day times 2 weeks so about 115 or so of the newborn size), then I go straight to 1's I'd just buy a whole bunch in this size and then you can either get more if needed or exchange for a bigger siz. SOme brands do a size1-2 that you might try I found that they worked well when baby was a little bigger(about a month or so. . Agian just don't open the packages until baby is here and you need to use them so you can return if the size is too small.

3. What else do you suggest you stock up on? Lanolin if you are nursing. Just get one tube of it as it lasts a really long time. Snacks for you for the first few weeks. I find I am really hungry and needind alot after giving birth and nursing a baby.
make sure your pantry is full before baby arrives so you don't have to worry about shopping. Also if you have room freezing meals before baby comes is always a good idea.
Other things
Burp cloths
baby socks (unless baby hates them you will need a bunch as they have a nifty was of disappearing, I had one who would as a newborn rub her feet together till they came off)
Wipes, buy one or 2 of the tubs to store them in then just buy them by the box. Seriously you end up going through these like crazy.
June 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not really any help with the diapers since we will use cloth. I can tell you I wouldn't buy a whole bunch of newborn sizes because Addi came out wearing size 1 diapers lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

June 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of random diapers that didn't work for baby or have packs of diapers left when baby was ready to move to the next size or wipes that baby a rash, so I put about $20 on a gift card every couple of weeks. I used it only for baby stuff--I would make two transactions at the store if needed. I got Target gift cards since that is where I always shopped.

June 24th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aussie here, but I have a pack of newborn Pampers, a pack of Newborn Dry Bots, & a pack of newborn Baby Love.
I will probably buy a box of newborn Huggies before baby gets here, but that said our Huggies are different to the ones in the states, (massively different.) Over here Huggies is pretty much superior. Baby Love IMO comes in second place
My 5th baby was 4.2kg & was too big for the smallest size of Baby Love, so I am really aware of that, & don't want to buy boxes of newborn if baby is going to be out of them at a couple of weeks of age.
It really is something that you can't gauge before baby is born. You could have a 2.5kg baby or a 4.5kg baby & the difference in what they are going to need & for how long could be massive.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
June 24th, 2013, 03:47 AM
fludderbye's Avatar Super Mommy
be careful- you still have a baby shower- so you will get some diapers- i would wit till after that to stock up on extras and stuff you didnt get- I like the gift card idea

also- all my girls were small- 6lbs- I love the pampers newborn- they just seemed to work best- I remember HATING huggies LOL cant remember why though LOL

you will find what you like and dont like-

I personally LOOOVE the target brand diapers- cheaper and work just as well- even overnight, I even get their wipes- sensitive

hope this helps
June 24th, 2013, 04:17 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I was going to agree. I am not buying any diapers or wipes yet because of the baby shower. It seems like everyone I invite brings at least one pack of diapers/wipes. Usually newborn size, but a lot of 1's also. I won't be buying any diapers until after the shower. I did do something like Lana though and I got a VIB card from Babies R Us and I keep adding money to that every couple of weeks to have a "fund" for diapers and stuff like that.

Also I don't know what brand this little girl can wear. Brady could only wear Huggies. Everything else broke him out in a rash. Tristen wore Luvs and Logan wore store brand. Each baby is shaped differently, so I am not gonna stock up on any particular brand.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 24th, 2013, 04:19 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't buy any newborn diapers as my babies are usually too big, if it happened to need them then I'd buy them. So I will maybe buy 2 packs of size one swaddlers, or a big box. I wouldn't wanna stock up too much, not sure how fast baby will grow. Wipes can be stocked up on easy though!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

June 24th, 2013, 05:59 AM
mamarazzi40's Avatar Veteran
Typically you can exchange unopened packages without hassle for the right size if your baby has outgrown a smaller size.

I agree with only a few newborns diapers though. I tend to stock up on a lot of size 1 and 2. Coupons coupons coupons!!!!!

I'm a loyal Pampers girl, so that's what we do. I've tried other brands and I'm just not a fan. So for my 3rd baby, I'm sticking with Pampers.
June 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I am waiting to buy items like diapers, wipes, breastfeeding supplies, those babies r us bags you can put dirty diapers in and throw away liners that you can use a changing pad cover or burp cloth. I am having two baby showers so know that I will get at least a little of those items to give us somewhere to start off with as well we have a Cosco and Sam's Club that have awesome deals on diapers and wipes in bulk. After my big shower in September is when we will stock up after we know what we still need before baby arrives.
June 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not going to buy too many diapers beforehand. Pampers worked great for DS but were terrible for DD.
I'm going to get a few packs of a few brands in nb and 1s and wait to see what works.
I hope to have him in mostly cloth by 2-3 months.

I love both Huggies sensitive wipes (they are thick) and also 7th Gen wipes. Those I will stock up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post
I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of random diapers that didn't work for baby or have packs of diapers left when baby was ready to move to the next size or wipes that baby a rash, so I put about $20 on a gift card every couple of weeks. I used it only for baby stuff--I would make two transactions at the store if needed. I got Target gift cards since that is where I always shopped.
This is brilliant.
June 24th, 2013, 06:27 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a huge box of 100+ diapers for my second daughter and they lasted less than a week. Just saying. It's really all trial and error. I suggest doing what Jamie and Lana said : Fill a gift card or something similar and go from there. Some babies can blow out diapers, get a rash from certain brands, etc and you really can't tell until baby is here what might work for you. Good luck Jenny. Diapering is a tricky subject, even for us BTDT moms.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
June 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lana* View Post
Lana has a great idea here. My last kiddo ended up allergic to EVERYTHING besides Huggies. Even the suple gentle diapers. He also never fit into the newborn diapers, so I had to take all those back too. The saving the cash and/or giftcards is the best idea.

June 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I have about 120 newborn diapers (3 packs) and about 5 packs of size 1. I've only been buying pampers since I loved them with my son, but now I'm thinking I might start adding other brands to it since like somebody said every baby is different. Something I did with my son later on, but will start early with this son is, I wore the name brand (pampers) on him overnight and when we went places, and the generic when we were at home. It definitely helped in saving money. Anyway, my son was tiny and I had to double up on the newborn diapers so they went fast, however he was also out of them fast because he grew so quickly. My inlaws would drop off packs of diapers weekly and got us a ton for my shower. We didn't have to buy any for 6 months! It was awesome but we're on our own now. I'm personally only doing 3-4 packs in the newborn. We are having a new baby, not going into hibernation. I'll just get more if its not enough! But I will stock up more on the size 1 and 2. As for wipes, wipes are wipes to me. I go by what's on sale or what is given to me. If there is a brand I don't like, I will still use them, I just won't buy them again.
June 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
1. How do I know what to buy??

Since this is your first, I honestly wouldn't stock up. Sure, get a pack of Newborns before birth, but I wouldn't buy a lot of anything. My children so far--and this has been pretty much confirmed with our last u/s--have teeny tiny booties. My 16 month old is still wearing size 3 diapers! She wore NB till she was almost 3 months. Size 1 was like another 4 months. My 5 year old wore size 4 till she was almost 5, and then she jumped 2 sizes. Good thing she only needs them at night now. My nieces were in size 5 at 2 years of age.

I've had friends whose children were in and out of size 3 by the time they were 6 months old. So it all depends on genetics. Is your body type top or bottom heavy? Is his? My DH is top heavy, I'm evenly proportioned. His genes definitely take over!

2. How MUCH do I buy? How many packs of newborn diapers, size 1, etc?

I wouldn't get more than 2 packs of NB if I was a first time mom. I have 4 now, but I am almost positive she'll be in them for a long while. I predict we'll be buying at least 3 more cases.

3. What else do you suggest you stock up on?

Bibs, onsies, burp cloths, and anything else that you think will get spit up on after a meal. Mine didn't spit up much, but many babies get reflux. There's a lot of upchuck going on.

EDIT: As for type of diapers, you have to see what you like. My first has very sensitive skin, and could only use Huggies for the longest. Then she was allergic to those and had to use Luvs. The second does best with Luvs.

Last edited by Spyctre; June 25th, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
June 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM
"Shay-see"
As long as you have someone who can run errands for you, there's no real need to "stock up" on much of anything - especially if you're breast feeding.

So much of having kids is instinctual. If you feel you need it, get it, but don't fall into the CONSUME OR PERISH trap that our country really likes to try and sell to vulnerable people. Get what you need as you need it and save yourself a $%!@ton of money.
June 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't really "stock up" on stuff either. My first was born 6 weeks early, and we had NOTHING. But during the 2 days I was in the hospital, DH just ran out and got some of the necessities. We used the diapers they gave us at the hospital, and we liked those so then we just picked up another few packages of them. Because you don't know how big your baby will be or what diapers you'll like, don't go crazy buying stuff ahead of time. It's not like when you have the baby you're suddenly unable to leave the house, especially if you have a partner or friend who can help you out with some errands.

I'd say at most, 1 package of newborn diapers, some onesies, and get natural wipes (we usually get dye free/fragrance free wipes for the newborns, just because they seem to be more sensitive). As for clothes, don't take off too many tags or wash everything yet, because you might end up totally skipping the NB size and then won't be able to return the stuff.

If you'll be nursing, get a good nursing pillow to bring to the hospital. That way the nurses there can teach you how to use it and get everything oriented.

August 2012 December 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search