OT Calling all good housekeepers....

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Lemon
  • 1 Post By Anitha
  • 5 Post By FishermansWife4
  • 4 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 2 Post By Allisonjuly

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2013, 06:39 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you do it?? We've got two sets of friends whose houses are always perfect. Like I'm not sure where they put all their "stuff". DH and I are not that way, though I wouldn't say we are horrible... but DH doesn't have time (in between working, his racing hobby which takes up hours/weekends) so a lot of it falls to me, which is okay for the summer because I'm home.

How do you keep up with it all and if you se are one of those "perfect" houses, how in the world do you do that? I've looked at Flylady in the past and started it, but that ended in like 2 days... I only got to the clean kitchen sink part!

DH was complaining about how it's only going to get worse when we have baby #2. (After he prefaced with I know you're doing your best, yada yada) Really, he complained about the garage (totally and completely his doing and it is an absolute pigsty), the basement (because who would store stuff down there my golly!)--both of our faults, and the backyard. The deal with the backyard is- the deck needs to be sanded and restained and there is a little paved walkway next to our deck with rocks on either sides, and before you walk into the yard, there is an area with stepping stones that is totally ugly and covered with weeds right now.

It's kind of irritating because he's insinuating that we don't "care" about our house, but for me it's more that we don't have the money to spend on fixing some of that stuff up (or so I think).

Basement- not too difficult, get some big shelves and go through and pitch some things and VOILA.
Backyard- this is where I'm totally stuck. It looks like sh*t because of our dogs. There is literally a pathway around the backyard from our one dog doing the same laps. THe rocks are all over the place because the same dog runs up and down and kicks them all up, so no matter what we do with those, they end up in the same corner. No idea what to do with the little stepping stones area- we did mulch in the past which looked nice but the dogs kicked it up all over kingdom come.

I guess we should just get rid of the dogs, they are the ones that make cleaning so much harder! They are shedding everywhere, I vaccuum our family room every single day... I'm just at a loss.

So advice for cleaning, organizing, or landscaping is welcome!!

June 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My house is FAR from perfect, but I do try to keep everything on a semi-schedule. I do the basic cleaning every weekend and randomly through out the week. Things like vacuum, laundry, moderate dusting, sweep, clean bathroom, mop the floors.
I try to take one room each weekend and do a major sweep of the room. I try to declutter and really take time on that one room. It seems to work ok for me, but with 3 kids already running around it does take me much longer.
Like they say " cleaning house with kids living in it is like trying to brush your teeth while eating oreo's" lol.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't stand a messy or cluttered house, so it's a priority for me.

Everyone in the family has to help though. The kids have to clean up their own toys, they put their dishes in the sink or dishwasher, they put their dirty clothes in the hamper. I ask them to try and be tidy in the bathroom. Good habits start when they are little, so I ask them to do their part to keep their house tidy.
Same for DH. Clothes go in the hamper, towels get hung up, dishes go in sink, etc. He works long hours and travels for work, but when he is home we all work together.

Before we leave the house, for the most part, we pick up what's on the floor, the kitchen is cleaned up after each meal.
I vacuum every few days and steam mop about once a week. I clean the bathrooms once a week and check in on them once a day to make sure they are company ready.

Another thing you can do is pair down your stuff. The kids toys get rotated out so our family room doesn't look like toysrus. I only have what kitchen stuff fits in my cabinets. I throw away paper work or file it as soon as I'm done with it.

The house is almost always picked up and tidy at the end of the day so we start the day with a clean slate. The kids do a great job of cleaning up every night before bath and bed because we expect it of them. DH and I will often divide and concur. One of us cleans up the kitchen and the other bathes the kids.
jamieshalon2 likes this.
June 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had the perfectly cleaned organized house, but it just doesn't happen. Most days I'm lucky I'm getting the daily needs done, let alone some deep cleaning and organizing. I sit and think about what I wanna do, but then once I start I'm in pain, back broke off and belly all tight. Not sure how we will ever get everything done! lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
June 24th, 2013, 07:26 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Move.

Seriously, I've gotten rid of 6 bags of trash and a garage full ready for yard sales. It's amazing when I realized we just don't need or use. Especially if you move across states it's so much easier to just get rid of it instead of the idea of having to take it with you.

But really. My DH is a little ocd about having a clean house. He grew up in a super clean house (there are 5 kids in his family too)... I didn't. So it was tough those first couple years of marriage when we tried to balance what we should do for our family (add in having a baby... and yeah. It was tough). Slowly but surely we've found a compromise... well, mostly I just got that ocd bug and now I'm just as crazy as him-- lol!!

So yeah, my friends always come in my house and wonder how I always keep it so clean. Honestly, I don't know. It's just a routine for me and it really isn't that hard. I only take an hour a day to clean, plus making sure dishes are done after dinner. For me, once I get in a groove it's so much easier. Turning the music up helps a bunch too

I'd start out with one thing you want to make SURE is done every day. For me it was making my bed. I always felt so much better when that was the first thing done in the morning. Next it was the dishes. Now I'm working on making laundry my daily shtick.

And going back to getting rid of things. It really does feel soooooo good just de-cluttering. It is super hard when you have kids running around though. I just cleaned out my girls room and I've had several friends that went ahead and did their kids rooms just because of me telling them how good it was afterward.

June 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not one of those women . I think you may have noticed my posts where I am constantly cribbing and whining abt the state of my house. I can barely manage to wipe down the counter tops, dining table and do the dishes and laundry once a week!! Vacuuming and picking up stuff off the floor gets done when walking becomes hazardous abt once a month) Same with cleaning the bathrooms. We almost never have unexpected company ( if they come its at their own risk - I've developed a tough skin and no longer embarrassed if I get caught off guard with an unexpected unannounced guest while my house is a mess- heck are the ones who should be embarrassed!). DH is not ocd abt a clean house, I am to a certain extent, but I simply dont have the time and energy after I come back from work. Weekends are supposed to be for rest and relaxation...but my spd flares up so bad by Sunday night - I am on my feet and doing so much all weekend long. So I try not to beat myself up if my house does not look like its out of a magazine! Also when I do have company I pick up the floor, quickly vacuum and clean the guest bath and basically hide all other out of place stuff in closets and pray they dont open those
allysmomma likes this.

June 24th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Our house has some toys everywhere, but for the most part it looks good. Our secret is getting rid of stuff. Just go through and get rid of anything we didn't need. Much easier to clean when there isn't a lot to clean! That and our rule about pets. Aquariums and terrariums only. Nothing furry running around. Animals are filthy.
June 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a stay at home mom and let me tell you, it's not easy. There are toys cluttering up the living room, home schooling items in boxes in my dining room and my bed room is a hot mess. I will say this : In 10 years, your children won't remember how cluttered with stuff your house is. They won't remember you busting your hump to clean every day. They'll remember the laughs, the dancing, the out of this world dinners. They'll remember the love you give them, not the clean house. My floors are swept, washed and everything is sanitary. That's my main goal every day and I fulfill it. Maybe I'm wrong here, but time spent doing things with my children and playing, teaching and adoring everything they do is a lot more important than stuff being around the house, to me. I am in awe of the women who have it all: uncluttered house, happy children and happy husband. I, however, am not one of those women. Just my two cents though...

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
June 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My house isn't perfect, but I try to keep it nice. I know you mentioned it already but I would suggest you try to do flylady again. It really helped me last fall, I have definitely fallen off the wagon since coming back last month though.

Maybe we should do a group flylady challenge? We could encourage each other to keep it up!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

June 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The only time I've had a perfect house was when it was on the market. I don't like the person I was to keep it that way. I was like a nazi to my kids and I was constantly patrolling the house for any little thing.

Genetically it just isn't in me or dh DNA so not surprisingly our kids are relaxed about mess too. If I do a major clean within 24 hours its all undone.

Amber- a few years back my mom apologized to me for not having a cleaner house growing up. I don't remember that at all! I do remember my neighbor friends mentioning my house was more fun to play at because no one would get mad if we made a mess!
Anitha and allysmomma like this.
June 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran
how do you keep a clean house when there just is no time? seriously, with working full time, so many doctor's apts lately, driving my son to and from school out of town, baseball games and practices, regular trips to the grocery store or other stores to pick up this or that, i literally feel like i'm never home. and when i am home i don't have the energy to clean. i'm really considering hiring a housekeeper just to get things back in order again. ugh.

http://www.gofundme.com/Valentina
June 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the insight! I think DH and I are just different...I care more about things being "picked up" and I do that frequently as well as vacuuming and dusting. DH cares more about clean cleaning....but he rarely does any of it himself! That stuff doesn't bother me as much, so I guess it's just not a huge priority for me. I would rather relax, play with Sawyer, or go out and do something with Sawyer! I probably should check out flyway again...

June 24th, 2013, 04:31 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so not an overly clean person. I know what I want out of my house and how I want it to look, but I have a friend that has a beautiful, spotless house and she flips out on her kids when they get it messy. I don't want to be that way with my kids. I tell you what gets the best of me and that is the paperwork, it's ridiculous. Idk how I just can't either file it or throw it away. It just gets piled everywhere. We have moved 3 times in a little over 2 years and it helps to get rid of stuff we don't use, I've sold a ton of stuff that we don't use. I just get overwhelmed when I go upstairs and I know there are boxes and boxes full of paperwork that needs filed or trashed b/c it got shoved in a box when we moved or when our house was for sale. It's crazy. I also have almost everything from when my kids were born, my dd is almost 6 and ds is 2. I have no clue as to what I'm having, mainly cuz dh doesn't want to find out and thats just another 4-5 months that I will be holding on to stuff of the kids, that I don't need. If we get visitors and we know they are coming, it's like a mad dash to clean off all the visible areas, but like Anitha said, stuff gets done at a slow pace. DH has the dishes and the trash, but everything else gets cleaned when I can get to it. I really would like to have a cleaner house and Flylady did help, but the daily emails, taht I rarely check got so overwhelming taht I couldn't keep up. Sorry for the long rant and post, but I feel more relieved to know that I am not the only one who cannot keep a clean house .

Trying to clean house while your children are growing is like trying to shovel snow while it's still snowing!!!

June 24th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
My DH doesn't care about cleaning at all, and if dishes are done he's OK with everything else being messy. He does his own laundry though which he keeps in his laundry basket and he does the cooking.

I hate having a messy house, but with working full time, 3 kids, a dog and a cat, it's next to impossible to keep it clean.

I also tried Fly Lady and I think it lasted no longer than a week. I did take some of the tactics and apply them as best I could. I tried to declutter 15 minutes at a time through the week and on the weekends try to tackle more cleaning. I enlist help from my older two, as much as they will. My oldest is in charge of litter and sweeping the bathroom. They fold and put away their laundry, although it's not done very well. I use a dust mop through the house as we have wood floors and that seems to be easier than a broom. I try to swish and swipe when I remember. I have been embarrassed numerous times when my neat freak friends have stopped by so I do hate that. I try to keep the downstairs better than the upstairs, but sometimes both are horrible. Our yard is weed ridden too and embarrassing. Life with kids, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
June 24th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
Develop OCD hehe. I used to not care about a messy house or clutter then my grandmother passed away unexpectedly 4 days before my son was born. She was a hoarder. I spent the days after having my first child with all my whacky hormones from child birth combined with the total shock of losing my grandmother, cleaning out her filthy, disgusting house. I've been a different person since. I think I seriously may have developed OCD. I cannot stand clutter but my house is by far bare. I use storage totes and shelves in the basement and try to make it as neat as possible. My house is by far spotless (dog and 4 year old. And husband). But I can't rest until it at least looks clean. I just give it a once over everyday. So much easier to keep up with. As for weeds and yard work? Weeds are my enemy and I do a half assed job on them. I can't do much yard work this year so my outside doesn't look good at all. It sucks because all my neighbors take good care of their homes and mine is the ugliest on the block!
June 24th, 2013, 11:04 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH hates clutter. A little clutter doesn't bother me, I'm a germ freak. Between the two of us we keep the house decent. Though I'm far from a good housekeeper. We both feel more relaxed and at ease in a clean, chaos free environment. Not sure how that will all work out now that we're throwing kids in the mix.
June 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
allysmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I walked into a clean house last night, well a lot cleaner than when I left for work yesterday morning. Hubby surprised me and I was so thankful!!! Love those days even tho they are few and far between.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search