Looking for a family friendly vehicle before baby arrives.

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 07:27 AM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
Help! I need some advice from other mommies on the board and need some reviews on nice family friendly vehicles.

We are selling my husband's small ford truck since "seats 2" it's already paid off, I have a 2 door convertible that seats 4 but we still owe on it and want to pay it off first this year before we decide to do something with it as it's still useable. We are looking into a good used van or suv once we sell the truck. We are leaning toward a van so far and I really like the Town & Country for the money and style compared to some of the weird looking vans that cost alot more. We have also thought about a Ford Escape or Pathfinder. I need some suggestions on just suvs and vans so we can look at all of our options. We don't want a truck or another car at this time.
June 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I have a 2005 Town and Country Touring. So far I love it and it has been really reliable. It isn't too bad on gas either compared to other minivans/SUV's. I usually average about 19.5 mpg. My cousin has a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and she says she only gets about 15/16 mpg, so that made me feel a little better too. I love the 3 rows of seats that mine has and since they are leather it is easy to wipe up any spills. Plus I have seperate temp controls for the driver, passenger and back. Very nice if I am hot, but I don't want the babes to get too cold in the back of the van.
Remote and interior push button controls for the side doors and the trunk which I have found VERY useful lately.
Also, the back seats have tinted windows which I know will help keep the glare from the sun out of LO's face which I believe will give me a much less grumpy baby while we are riding.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 26th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Thank you, Jaime. I appreciate your review on the Town and Country van. So far it's my top pick for vans as well as possibly a Dodge Grand Caravan.
June 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I drove a newer Caravan as a rental car last september before we bought my van and it was really nice, but it was a 2012 model, so I am sure it was very pricey.

Since mine is a 2005 it only cost us about $6500, which is very reasonable and it had plenty of bells and whistles for me

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just bought a 2013 Odyssey. I'm not a van person at all, but it's a really nice family vehicle. The inside finishes are really nice, as well as the safety ratings and resale value. The other one we looked at was the Toyota Sienna. But we liked the Odyssey better.
June 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Lemon, I've had two other people suggest the Odyssey as well, only thing is that they cost more than alot of the vans out there so unless we can find a nice used one in our area at a good price we probably won't be able to afford one of those.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
June 26th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
I drive a 2003 Ford Expedition. I love it. I have the 8 seater. Since we will be going on 4 kiddos we don't fit into a regular car anymore either. DH drives a Honda Prelude which he is looking at selling along with our Land Rover an then probably purchasing a used Honda Odyssey since it would still do good on gas. He commutes about 60 miles one way to work when he's not working from home. Plus we live in Colorado so the weather changes quickly here from sunny to snowy. So, if need be he could always use my expedition on horrible days an I would still have something to get all the kids around town with if I needed to.

June 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle86 View Post
Thanks, Lemon, I've had two other people suggest the Odyssey as well, only thing is that they cost more than alot of the vans out there so unless we can find a nice used one in our area at a good price we probably won't be able to afford one of those.
Ya, they are a few thousand more than other models. I did see a lot of used ones when we were looking.
Good luck with your shopping!
June 26th, 2013, 11:08 AM
~Momma*2011~'s Avatar I love my little girl!!
I'm partial to the SUV's. I love a GMC Acadia and Terrain. My best friend just bought a terrain and she loves it. She says it gets almost 30 on the highway and near 20 in the city.
jamieshalon2 likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM
That is awesome gas mileage!!

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 26th, 2013, 11:32 AM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle86 View Post
We have a Honda odyssey too and I love it! It's an '08. Just to throw this out there- the reason Hondas are more expensive in general is because they hold so much more value if you were to sell it in the future. So even though its more upfront, you would get your money back at the end.

I never thought I'd be a van person, but I love the sliding doors and its so convenient! We had a pilot for awhile (loved it!) but the gas mileage was terrible. We looked at the Toyota version and it was really nice too. I'd stay away from Jeeps- hubby would never get one and I have a friend who bought a new 2012 jeep and its been in the shop 5 or 6 times already.

I don't know much about Kias, other than they are muc better made now than they were before and I like how a lot of them look!

June 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
My dh drives a Kia Optima, it is very nice. It is an 08 model. So far it has been a very good running car. I don't know anything about the vans though, Sedona I believe it is.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a honda crv and my vote is for something with mroe than 5 seats, lol!

There have been numerous times where we want to go somewhere and we want the kids to be able to invite a friend each but we don't have the car space.

I like the town and country and considered it as well (after getting my crv). I get about 21 MPG with my crv.

Also, my cousin has a mazda 6 I think that is the name and it has 3 rows. I think it is a little bit more economical but don't quote me.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got rid of my 2010 bmw 328x last month and bought a new ford explorer. LOOOOOOOOVE IT! When I was in florida in feb-mar we rented a dodge caravan..hated it. It drove like a.... van. The truck has a truck feel, but handles like a car. If we didn't need the extra room, we might have gone with the Edge or possibly the Escape.

June 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
I have a Nissan Murano SUV and love it! The gas mileage isn't the best but it isn't the worst either. My SIL drives a Honda Pilot and that will be my next SUV for sure! Her Pilot has 3rd row seating and gets better gas mileage than mine.
June 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Super Mommy
The Odyssey and Sienna will typically last a very long time too. You may be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. We have a Sienna now, but used to have an Odyssey. I really love my Sienna. I've also had the Pilot and CRV in the past but prefer a van over an SUV with a family.
June 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
We have a Honda Pilot and absolutely LOVEEEEEE it!! If we ever buy another vehicle, it'll be another Pilot!
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

June 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a van person here either, but we had to get something else for this baby since there was no way three car seats would fit into my PT Cruiser...
That being said when we had only 2 kids the cruiser was awesome, all the perks of an SUV but smaller in size, and used they are pretty awesome for price. Only down falls about the crusier were that the turn radius sucks and it uses as much gas as my Van does. Otherwise I LOVED it, has the space in the hatchback trunk for big items, or even the dog to ride in (since it is open to the rest of the vehicle not like a car trunk) and the compact size of a car, yet the spacious inside feel of a bigger vehicle.
When we traded the Cruiser in got a Chrystler Town and country, it has NO perks, it is VERY basic, but I LOVE it! The seat storage is my favorite thing, I had wanted to get an Odysee because the resale value is so good but as someone else mentioned they are so costly! I got my '06 town and country with good mileage on it for only 6,000. When baby comes we plan to fold down one of the bucket seats and put the two bigger kids all the way in the back, we will still have a lot of space for groceries and strollers, and be able to unbuckle all three carseats without too much crawling around.
Before my cruiser I had an Envoy, with third row seating, I liked it, but car seat use was horrible in it, if you had more than one carseat installed then you had to fold seat up and down constantly to get to the back row, I hated that... now if I didn't have car seats to deal with I think I'd like the Envoy better than the van, much more comfortable and had a lot more features and similar pricing, and gas mileage was close too though a little more costly with the Envoy than the van and Cruiser.

Over all if I had only two kids I'd keep my cruiser, but with more than that it depends on kid ages. Car seats=van, no car seats = Envoy

Last edited by slmehaffey; June 26th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
June 27th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Wren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are looking into a Subaru Forester because we need something that is all-wheel drive up here in the winter and it is about 28 mpg. However, it is definitely on the small side for an SUV so probably not what you are looking for. We have a Toyota Highlander hybrid that I love but it doesn't have all-wheel drive. I got it off my parents and sadly there is no way we can afford a new one. If anyone has any suggestions for a car/SUV that can fit two car seats easily, has all-wheel drive, gets good mileage, and is not super expensive, let me know!
June 27th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Oh yeah I forgot about the fold down seating in the Town and Country, lol. We like that option a lot too. We folded down the middle bucket seats and were able to fit a full sized grill in there when we bought it. It was very nice to not have to find someone to haul it for us.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search