Car seat regulations

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 10:42 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I was lurking on another board and someone posted that a new regulation states that ALL kids under 40 lbs have to be rear facing...has anyone else heard this?

If this is the case, then my 6 year old should still be rear facing. I just can't see that happening, lol. He would not go for that at all. He is only 35 lbs, but he doesn't seem small for his age. he was the same size as most of the other kindergarteners in his class.

I just read the Virginia regulations and I didn't see anything about it, so I guess it is either a state wide thing, or they just advise it to parents. It does say though that in VA all kids under the age of 8 have to be in a device regardless of weight. I already knew that though.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/ofhs/pre...n/CPS/laws.htm

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103

Last edited by jamieshalon2; June 26th, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
June 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty sure that is not the case here in Iowa...here is a pdf of our regulations.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/gt..._CPS_Guide.pdf
June 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Loni's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As far as I know it is only reccommended by the American academy of pediatrics that 2 year olds remain rear facing and it is not a law. You could always hop on over to the carseat safety board here in JM. The girls over there are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.
June 26th, 2013, 12:12 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In CA, if you are under 8, you have to be in a booster seat unless the kid is over 4 ft 9 inches.

Sophia is 7.5 and itching to get rid of her booster.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
June 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In PA if you're over 7 you don't need a booster anymore. My mother in law was just stopped with my children in the car because someone reported her taking my children from our house "without car seats." She was good though because my oldest is 7 and doesn't require a booster anymore and my other two were well equipped with their booster and car seat.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
June 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Are you sure about the PA laws because we live in PA and the last time I looked them up it was 8 years of age. My daughter will be 8 in October and she will be in a booster forever as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what other parents do (my neighbor is 6 and uses no booster or car seat) but I want my kids as safe as possible. My second oldest will b 5 next week and she is still in a 5 point harness and I'm perfectly happy with her that way!
June 26th, 2013, 01:20 PM
The police said 7 and didn't give her a ticket so I have no idea? Maybe I should look that up because even police make mistakes? But I'm totally not turning her in for the police not giving her a ticket.

UPDATE: You're right. It's 8. I thought it was 7 since they said 7. I'll be dragging out her booster again.
http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/car-seat-laws/car-seat-laws-pennsylvania.html

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"

Last edited by FishermansWife4; June 26th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
June 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't turn her in either but the info I found says age 8. I think they just recently changed it. You just may want to be careful because another police officer may ticket her.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter_5.pdf
June 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermansWife4 View Post
The police said 7 and didn't give her a ticket so I have no idea? Maybe I should look that up because even police make mistakes? But I'm totally not turning her in for the police not giving her a ticket.

UPDATE: You're right. It's 8. I thought it was 7 since they said 7. I'll be dragging out her booster again.
http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/car-seat-laws/car-seat-laws-pennsylvania.html

LOL I posted from the DMVs page too. I don't care about being right or not I just don't want you to get a ticket if it can be helped. We only researched it because we were buying a truck and needed to know when DD1 was going to be able to ride in the front seat of it without her booster. Luckily for us it's age 8 and she turns 8 on my EDD!
June 26th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Thank you for the post, Loni. Now that I know, the booster will be back out and her tiny butt will be strapped into it. Like I said, I thought it was 7 and so did the police officer. Thank goodness he didn't ticket her. I definitely appreciate not getting ticketed. I'm the one who pays if she gets one since they're my babies and I'd be in the wrong for being the mom and not knowing, know what I mean?

WOW! That'd be something if your DD's birthday and new baby were on the same day. Very cool

2013 Mommy
June 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Yeah.. that height and weight thing was really silly to me, or at least 12. Please. The day I strap a 12 year old into a booster seat is the day that their pre-teen self starts to hate me with the fire of a thousand suns. That's not something you do to a middle schooler. Car seats and seatbelts are pretty safe - I will not be putting a preteen in a baby seat.
jamieshalon2 and MrsPea like this.
June 26th, 2013, 07:17 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Check the laws for your state because all of them are different. I am huge into extended rear facing and we turned my 4yo around only this year. The law is limited and isn't inline with the recommendations. I do recommend that you do that from birth until the limit on the convertible carseat is reached (normally 35-45lbs). If you've had your kid FFing for years now, it's pretty difficult to just turn them back around. I wouldn't worry about it at that age, IMO.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart
June 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
every state has it's own laws, and you have to follow them for your state, I do wonder about crossing state lines on a family vacation though... what do you do then? Anyway, in Michigan the law is that they have to rear face for a year, and it is recommended that they stay that way for two years, but nothing is mentioned about weight and rear facing after the child has reached the age of one and 20lbs, for safety you really need to have both the weight and age for rear facing, but the rest of the car seat regulations 'here' are one or the other.
I'm considering taking a class to get certified in car seat safety, it isn't cheap but I think it would be good to do considering what else I do. (doula and childbirth education)

June 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I haven't checked laws here in a little over 3 years, but last I checked Louisiana was in a device till 5 and rear facing till 1 year and 20 lbs. I turned DD1 around at 18 months back then. I'll have to check again.

Just looked it up, and it's almost the same.

Children under 1 AND under 20 lbs: rear face.

1-3 and between 20 and 40 lbs: forward facing car seat.

Ages 4-6 and 40-60 lbs: booster seat.

7+: lab and shoulder belt if not in car seat.
June 27th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My almost 6 year old is between 35 and 38 lbs and I can't imagine having him rear facing, lol. I think it has as much to do with age and height as it does with weight.
I have him in the Graco Nauitlus high backed booster that we just switched from the 5 pt about 6 months ago.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 27th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
My almost 6 year old is between 35 and 38 lbs and I can't imagine having him rear facing, lol. I think it has as much to do with age and height as it does with weight.
I have him in the Graco Nauitlus high backed booster that we just switched from the 5 pt about 6 months ago.
My girls are in the Nauitlus ad we LOVE them. I'm thinking about getting DS 1 before the baby is born so that I can get him out of his convertible car seat before this baby needs it. My son is prettty much the same size as DD2. I'm hesitant to put a 3 year old in the Nautilus but he's pretty big for his age and I'd keep him in the 5 point harness.
June 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I think Brady was either 3 or 4 when we put him in it and he did great with it. He loves that car seat. When he outgrows it he is probably going to cry, lol.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 27th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I don't think there is a law on it but it is correct your child is safest read facing. I had my son rear facing until 2 and would have longer if my husband wasn't so adamant about turning him around. He's 4 and is in a car seat and people still keep trying to get me to switch him to a booster but no way. I cannot believe the way the same people who act like I'm a car seat nazi, put their kids in the car. It's scary. Please educate yourself ladies, then you won't think it's so weird.
June 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I am not trying to sound rude, this is a legit question... How do you rear face a child that is 3 and up? Aren't their legs too long which can be dangerous also?

My kids aren't very tall, just average, maybe on the short side even, and they would literally have had their knees in their mouths at that age if I had them rear facing.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
June 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 View Post
I am not trying to sound rude, this is a legit question... How do you rear face a child that is 3 and up? Aren't their legs too long which can be dangerous also?

My kids aren't very tall, just average, maybe on the short side even, and they would literally have had their knees in their mouths at that age if I had them rear facing.
The only "possible" risk is your kid can break his legs, but when you're in a car accident, wouldn't you rather your child have broken legs than a broken neck? The risks for FFing is much higher than that of RFing. I really don't care if my child complains. My goal is safety. Safety should trump anything else. Odd enough though, my 4yo doesn't mind it. Probably because he was RFing from birth.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (13)- C/S 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11)- C/S 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5)- VBA2C 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"

Baby Grayson born sleeping at 39w pg due to thrombophelia;
Protein S and Protein C deficient, Factor V Leiden , & MTHFR
(10/16/13)- 2VBA2C 9lbs 12oz, 22"

My Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search