crafty mamas I need help

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By QL1516
  • 1 Post By slmehaffey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2013, 03:53 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hey, I'm a seamstress so I should totally be able to do this myself but I'd have to buy the supplies on-line and probably end up getting a lot more than I need just because of where I live, so I'm hopeing maybe one of the other crafty mamas could help me out... I want to make baby a mobile with fruit, I found a bunch of felt fruit that was super cute on Etsy, but they are like $25-40 which seems outrageous to me, so was wondering if any of our crafty mamas might be able to help me out for less?
I need an
apple,
Pear,
Banana
strawberry
orange (possibly sliced in half so you can see what it is, not just look like a ball.)
and lemon

anyone think they can help me out?

June 28th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran
I think $25 for hand sewn (well, with a machine, but you get what I mean) isn't bad, especially if you count time for labor. Is shipping included with the price?

Maybe you can find the fruit for sale in non-mobile form and put it together yourself?
Team Green turned Team Blue, October 25th 2013
June 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Have you tried any stores like Micheal's or any other type of craft store. You may actually be able to check places like walmart or target and they may have something.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
June 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
if it were in mobile form and selling for 25 I wouldn't sneeze at it, but it isn't, I'll have to assemble it into a mobile myself. and no I don't think shipping is included.
I did find some Styrofoam type fruit that if I made sure it was far from babies reach I might be able to use that instead... and I live in an extremely rural place with no craft stores within an hours drive.

June 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I have a ton of felt here! I don't use machines so if I made it, I would use batting and a blanket stitch. Embroidery stitches for decorations on them, seeds and such.

I was planning on doing something like this in the future for the girls:

I don't think I'd be able to do a 3-D round fruit myself. lol I can work flat, and I can make something into a cube. I mostly do embroidery with an occasional sock doll. Can you post a picture of what exactly you want to make? I can slip a few pieces of felt into a manila envelope if you can't find all you need in your local store's open stock.

All we have is Walmart. Our closest craft store is about 45 minutes away. There is a sewing store here, but they sell machines, regular fabric, and buttons. Last time I was at the craft store looking at felt, I got like $70 worth, and they were 20˘ each. lol I got it for a quiet book. Still on my first page!

allysmomma likes this.
June 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM
*Lana*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is probably a decent price for handmade felt food.
Have you looked for commercially made items? Maybe Melissa & Doug make some. A teaching store may have them. EBay?

June 29th, 2013, 03:06 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I have a ton of felt here! I don't use machines so if I made it, I would use batting and a blanket stitch. Embroidery stitches for decorations on them, seeds and such.

I was planning on doing something like this in the future for the girls:

I don't think I'd be able to do a 3-D round fruit myself. lol I can work flat, and I can make something into a cube. I mostly do embroidery with an occasional sock doll. Can you post a picture of what exactly you want to make? I can slip a few pieces of felt into a manila envelope if you can't find all you need in your local store's open stock.

All we have is Walmart. Our closest craft store is about 45 minutes away. There is a sewing store here, but they sell machines, regular fabric, and buttons. Last time I was at the craft store looking at felt, I got like $70 worth, and they were 20˘ each. lol I got it for a quiet book. Still on my first page!

WOW thats awesome!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

June 29th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Thank you, Sweetiepie. =) I posted pretty late last night, and some of my post is confusing to me so I wanted to clarify I didn't want to make patterns for anything or make fruit. I will send you some felt so you can do it yourself, though!

I didn't make the fruit pictured, that's just inspiration that I had pinned for when I make fruit for my kids to play with.

There was a lady in the Arts and Crafts board at one time that made felt food, but I don't know how much she charged.
June 29th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Leah
I totally want to see more of those pages as they're done. That's awesome!
Spyctre likes this.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
June 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
That is beautiful! I love it your book page! Get on that, I want the rest of the book in picture form! LOL... and I TOTALLY understand why you'd buy $70 worth while you had the chance, I checked my store, they had like 7 colors, only two of them would have worked for any of the fruit I wanted to make.
I think I may have convinced my mother that when she gets back from Jamaica (she is going on a mission trip) she needs to do it for me..lol.
those are such cute cartoony ones that now I'm not sure if I want more realistic stuff or the cartoony ones...lol.
Spyctre likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search