OT - tree installation day is freaking me out!

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By soul_donut
  • 1 Post By SierraWinter
  • 1 Post By soul_donut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 08:04 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Last summer before I got all "in a motherly way", with a help of a landscape designer friend buckled down and spent three straight grueling days planting trees, plants, shrubs, flowers, sod, laying mulch, you name it. It was a huge undertaking and now it's all finished and lovely and grown in, with complicated irrigation lines and other things all set below the surface. And a company that installed a tree installed a real stinker and it has to be replaced. They gave me such a load of **** about it, like they were doing me a real favor by replacing their bad tree. They recommended I dig out all the plants around it, and I said, no way - I'm pregnant and you're a landscaping company. I professionally had this tree watered, irrigated, and fertilized - there is literally nothing I could do to save this tree, and I'm not going to do the labor required to replace it. Anyway they're here doing it and surprise, it has not been going well. They've had shovels and bobcats and chainsaws and I can barely stand to watch it. I physically just cannot fix any of the problems that I forsee being created today, nor do I want to pay for the labor to have them fixed. The person emailed me (they're not even done with the installation) to warn me to water it correctly because it's a one time replacement. Trust me, if this tree dies it will not be my fault. And I won't want a new one from them. But anyway, I wanted to get that off my chest because I feel so helpless about it - preggo I just can not stand out there and even observe this mess long term, let alone do the work to get my garden back in order.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed that they are able to install the new tree with minimal damages please!

On the plus side, this is one major tick off the big undertakings to do list before the baby gets here And out of spite if this next tree dies i'm going to pay someone to chainsaw it down, spray paint "DO NOT BUY TREES HERE" and throw the stump in front of their shop. I am crazy today, must be the donuts I had for breakfast
jamieshalon2 likes this.
July 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
What a pain in the butt. Sounds like a very unprofessional company. I wouldn't be too happy with them either. good luck today.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
This company was voted "Best Of" by the readers of the newspaper! I am shocked at how badly this is all going. Maybe we just are unlucky
July 1st, 2013, 08:31 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I had that happen with the first OB office I went to when I was pregnant with my first child. They were rated the best of all the ones around here. I hated them so much that I vowed to have my baby at home without help if I had to go back to them again, lol. Thankfully my next office was great.

I hope they treat you well this time and that you never have to see or talk to them again. Don't they know better than to mess with hormonal pregnant women, lol.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 1st, 2013, 08:40 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes! I definitely wouldn't be going back to them! And if this tree sucks too, I would be writing a letter of complaint to the company, and maybe even the newspaper who claimed it was "the best."

Good luck!

PS. Yum donuts
July 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM
Julie
Ugh, what a mess, sorry. I am crossing my fingers and toes that this tree lives forever!

July 1st, 2013, 08:48 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a big pain in the butt. Hope theres not much damage and mess.

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}

Forever missing my Mom...
July 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope the replacement tree doesn't die. Write a letter to the BBB, Yelp, Google reviews, etc, if this tree dies and they dont make good. It is frustrating to have things come up that you physically cant take care of during the pregnancy, you'd think they would try to help a preggo out.
QL1516 likes this.
July 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, that sucks.

I ordered some seedlings from a company and they only shipped me half. Well I waited a couple days to see if the others would arrive so I could plant them all together (and plan out my garden appropriately in case a few items were not gonna end up coming after all) and they died super fast and I never got the other half of my order. I sent them an email a week later asking what had happened and letting them know the first half died, etc and they sent me my whole order in two days and were super nice about it (I wasn't expecting the dead one's replaced since it was my fault for not planting them immediately).

I would be super annoyed with this company if I were you too.

We need a new gardener. Ours only comes when he feels like it and barely does anything but mow the lawn. DH is so loyal though, that it takes someone to REALLY be awful and for a while before he will fire and hire someone else. Me, not so much.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Rosiegirl7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so hard planning and taking on projects while pregnant, the stress of it alone sucks. I hope this tree has minimal problems and maybe they can offer a discount or something? I'm sure they want to keep their name in good standings.
July 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM
Leah
Dittoing Sierra and suggesting if anything goes wrong, complain everywhere - BBB, consumer protection, Angie's List, etc. Document everything. I cannot stand crappy customer service! It gets me going, pregnant or not.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
After all the chainsaws and everything yesterday (they said they buried it too deep last time so it realllllly didn't want to come out, dead or not!) things were left in relatively ok order - a few plants trampled, some of the hole still left open (they say they're returning with more dirt - I'll give them til noon) and needs to be mulched, but they didn't take out a chunk of sod or knick the irrigation, from what I can tell. It rained last night, so I can't check the lines but it *seems* ok. I think it helped that I was present for the ordeal.. so we'll see if they resolve it today! Thanks for letting me vent yesterday. Honestly it's a lot harder to manage projects for me right now because I can't get in there and really buckle down - I'm stopping for water, wearing a big floppy sun hat, it's ridiculous. When I was doing this work last year I was a tough cookie!
Heidijens1 likes this.
July 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope they come back and finish up and there are no problems.
July 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
haha! I spoke too soon. Not only did they not come back to fill in the hole, but I called to see if they'd be coming by so I could keep my gate unlocked for them and the owner was like, that tree was expensive to replace, it was really deep and hard to dig out - if you want more dirt you can order it and we'll bring it out but you're going to pay for it. I was like, I only expected more dirt because your employees told me they'd be back in a couple hours to fill in the hole - and for what it's worth, they told me that they think the tree died because it was buried so deep! How about that irony? He made me feel like I was getting a favor from them because they honored their warranty. It wasn't a picnic to have this thing die for either party, but I would expect professionalism from business owners in the community. It's not a big town. I'm going to give them a review online because not only did they do a ****** job (the workers, poor things, did fine but the management was horrendous), but the owner was rude to me and also said he thinks I killed it because I didn't hire them to also install the irrigation system. I actually hired a more high end company (who has been nothing but helpful and professional every single time we have interacted with them) so I have zero patience for that lame excuse. I am glad we didn't also do irrigation with them. If he had phrased it differently I would have just paid for the dirt! I just thought they'd come by with more because they said they would, not because I expected them to give me free stuff.

But now I'm going to drop it and have myself a nice rainy day doing indoor chores and getting lots done to prepare for my niece's and SIL's visit for the fireworks this Thursday WHich will lead me to a nice (less whiny) post, in a second

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search