Modern day preggo torture devices?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
Today is compression hose day! These thigh high hose are just ridiculous. After struggling to follow directions for a while unsuccessfully I just shoved my feet in and started straightening out the fabric like I would a regular pair of panty hose. It took me 20 minutes to get my legs into these things! It was gruesome! All of my leg fat has traveled up up up and is spilling out of the top of these things. I measured my thighs before ordering, so this is the right size. It's like I have two butts! DH couldn't help but laugh as I was trying to adjust myself - neither of us was ready for that jelly. hahaha. They really are mortifying. But, my legs are really sucked in there! I'll report back later about whether my legs are more comfortable at the end of the day (or as long as I can stand to wear them).

Anybody else trying these out? Or anything else crazy we should know about?
July 2nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
LOL, great mental pictures
I have never tried any of those. What are you using them for? Are they supposed to relieve pressure or something?

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 2nd, 2013, 05:47 AM
Ha! The mental picture would probably be better than an actual picture - even for the internet, hahaha.

They are supposed to help with spider veins, and relieving some of the leg soreness that I'm feeling. I am also taking vitamin E supplements for this. The Midwife looked at me, listened to my symptoms, and with the most sympathetic and cautious face, suggested the compression hose, which will help but are not a nice thing to wear in the summer time!
July 2nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I must have missed a post...are you have trouble with swelling or vein issues I've never tried those, but I've worn walmart shapewear before and spent 15 mins trying to squeeze my thighs and butt into them LOL So I know what you are talking about!!

July 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM
Leah
I was at a medical trade show early on and got a bunch of samples of compression stuff. I've got leopard print compression knee highs, black socks, full hose... I tried the regular socks and I can see how they'd help, but I'm not sure I'd be able to wear them long enough for them to be effective. I'm such a barefoot, flip flop girl. Especially now.

I also got a support belt, though I haven't tried that on yet. I fear the day is coming though.

"He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." ~ Forrest Gump
July 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
My OB suggested a support belt. They said because this is my 4th baby and I am old, lol. I haven't been able to bring myself to get one yet though, lol. I refuse to be OLD.

Jamie age 36-Married to Widget age 33 for 13 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ooh, yesterday was "maternity pants that are too small because I bought them right before I got pregnant" day. It was not fun. I was literally saying "Oww, ouch, f$@k" all the way home from work. They are now going to be washed and sold on eBay, lol. Today, I am wearing leggings, lol!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I have the thigh highs too. but I only wear them on my left leg as it's the one with all all the vein issues.I REALLY like them and think they are great, but I have sever varicose veins all over my calf and even in my ankle. They really help the pain and swelling, in fact I usually don't noticce any when I wear them, if I don't wear them then I get veins sticking out like crazy and my ankle feels like I have sprained it.
I got a prescription for mine and my insurance covered mine so I was fitted by the person at the med supply store. I really thought at first he gave me the wrong size because they where so hard to get on, but after wearing them a few times and practice getting them on, they go on easier.

IfI could find a support belt I might try one when I'm 7 month or so. I get HUGE and have 9-10 lb babies and my tummy feels so heavy by then.
July 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Ouch Heidi! I hope it's easier this time around, or you're at least ok with the stuff you've gotten before!

I took the hose off after about 5 hours, and I think they really were helpful. My legs looked better than they did, and the veins were less noticeable. It was really hard to get used to them on, though. My thighs and the backs of my knees were really bugging me. Overall though, I would say they're a good idea, and I will go through it all again tomorrow morning willingly! Maybe I can last longer than 5 hours next time..
July 2nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I forgot to mention, I am wearing a support belt as well. Its a light duty one that I am actually able to wear all day without discomfort and discrete enough to not be obvious under my clothes...Jamie, I can't believe they would site age as a reason for support belts. Anyone at any age and even during the first pregnancy can benefit from them. I am finding that my sides and under boob/ ribs area hurts a lot less this time. I use this one from Amazon: Amazon.com: It's You Babe Mini Cradle, Medium (181-225 Pounds): Health & Personal Care

Also I am a woman who tends to have a pouch/bag of lose belly tissue which refuses to completely go away even long after baby is born. I am hoping the belt would minimize stretching and pulling of the skin and tissues. Also planning on wearing a compression belt post partum this time around.

July 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
My hubby wears them due to BAD vericose veins and they are horrible lol
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

July 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
I tried compression hose, but not thigh highs. I ripped both medium and small I liked how they felt on, but it did take a lonngggg time to get them on (probably hence the ripping!) also they were short or something and that's coming from a person who is barely 5'2.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search