What's the worst baby shower gift you have been given or pray you never will get?

Forum: October 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
SouthernBelle86's Avatar Rachelle
I'm very curious to hear stories from board members who have heard or personally received horrible baby shower gifts.

I have been reading alot lately how guests ignore the baby registry and buy whatever they think is cute and winds up being a nightmare. Saw on one board that a lady got girls clothes at her shower when everyone knew she was having a boy, one lady got a used bottle holder that had stained milk and rust on it as well as one woman got clothes that winded up being for baby dolls. lol.

Anyone else have any good stories to share?

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jackie1122's Avatar Veteran
Well I have never received a horrible gift like the ones you mentioned lol! While I do appreciate all gifts that people are willing to give me, I always hope that I don't end up with a diaper bag that I don't care for. I would feel so bad if I were to run into the person that got it for me and not be carrying their bag. I am not picky but since a diaper bag goes everywhere with you for quite a while, I think it is important for it to fit my style and be functional.
soul_donut likes this.
July 3rd, 2013, 03:09 PM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
@jackie - yes! I got into it with my SIL about a diaper bag. She was upset with me because I didn't want a petunia picklewhatever bag but I am not cutesy patterened! I hate vera bradley type of stuff and my strollers are tasteful with no patterns etc. It's just not my style. Put the cute patterns all over the kid but leave them off of me My "diaper bag" is an italian leather crossbody bag from our trip to Rome - if I have to lug around a bag full of diapers I might as well look good doing it
July 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
SierraWinter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have made it clear to ALL family members - no "princess", "brat', "diva", or its-all-about-me baby clothing. And we ended up getting an obnoxious onsie after all that from MIL but DH let her know no more. I know a lot of people find that stuff cute but I find the-world-revolves-around-me behavior highly obnoxious and dont think its even remotely cute. I think its great to love your children but giving them the delusion that this behavior is cute doesn't do their future friends and loved ones any favors. These are probably the only baby items I find repulsive. Well unless someone gave us condoms, I would probably be offended by that
July 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Cccbb61013's Avatar Veteran
I honestly can't even remember what anybody got me for my shower. I'm sure there were things I got that weren't my style, but with something like a baby shower, I feel like it is truly the thought that counts. People don't have to waste their time or money on me, so I appreciate them doing so. I just didn't take my baby shower that seriously. It's a party where people give me stuff, what's not to love?! Come to think of it though, my Grandmother didn't have much money and smoked like a chimney (even though she never admitted it). For all the babies born in my family she would have her neighbor crochet a blanket for us. It wasnt overly well done and reeked of cigarette smoke, so needless to say they never got used. My female relatives and I would always poke fun (in private) of the " smoke blankets" we knew were coming at each shower. Sure enough in April of 2009, I finally got mine. In June of 2009, 4 days before my son was born, my grandmother unexpectedly passed away. I was so thankful to have gotten that raggedy blanket before her passing. My cousin was due in aug of that year and one of the first things she said was how sad it was her baby would be the first without a blanket. After the funeral, we were cleaning out her house and low and behold we found a blanket she must have had gotten already for that baby. She was thrilled. Though they will never be used, I am so sad my newest addition will not be getting his own blanket. I try to always focus on the thought rather than the gift now.
JeCaLe and soul_donut like this.
July 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Julie
Speaking of condoms, my first baby my friends threw me a shower and they were using the bassinet as a wishing well. someone put condoms in the bassinet as a joke!

July 3rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
With my first, I was dead set on no pacifiers. Got them anyway. First baby hated them, second liked them. I don't mind pacies at all now. Babies like to suck, and I like to sleep. Giving them dummies lets me sleep longer. When they were really hungry, they'd spit the paci out and continue crying.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
July 3rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was really lucky and didn't receive any crazy presents with Dd's shower. Little Man's is in a few weeks so I guess we will see then what happens!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 5th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A handmade snowsuit. It was hideous. It had all these Velcro flaps it looked like a baby straight jacket. The worst think about it was it reeked of smoke because the husband of the lady smoked in their home.

My FIL did not buy the swing on my registry (first baby) but bought a different one because he didn't like the one I picked
soul_donut and SierraWinter like this.
July 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM
soul_donut's Avatar Melissa
omg a restrictive winter jacket that reeks of smoke - poor baby! That could rank up there with my worst nightmares, being trapped in a reeking heavy coat!!!
July 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got three bottles of cheap wine....I still had three months to go and I dont even drink when Im NOT pregnant. This person knows that.

July 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Man, some people should just stick to gift cards. lol

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 8th, 2013, 05:18 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
hmm, I can't really think of anything. I picked my own diaper bag, car seat, pnp, etc, so I don't have to worry about those. Most of my family will probably get clothing, which is ok because then they have no clue if the baby wore it or not, lol.
MrsPea likes this.

Jamie age 37-Married to Widget age 33 for 14 years
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 8th, 2013, 07:43 AM
anothermother's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The last shower I had was 6 years ago and I have no idea if I got anything I liked or not, I do know there were a couple outfits that never got worn just because they weren't very conventional at all. But other than that...

July 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got some boy clothes for my baby shower with Maya. It was from the mom of a friend of my ex-husband's and she didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, so she bought both, lol. I just donated them.

This time, I am hoping to limit the pink. After three girls, I want to puke at all the pink people love to give.

Whatever we get is great - we will appreciate whatever we can get as babies are expensive! However, if there is something we don't like, then I will try to exchange it for something else, and if that doesn't happen, it will get re-gifted/donated.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
As long as the stuff is new from a store I will be okay with it. I'm not into used items because of germs and you just don't know where it's been and if it's been taken care of etc. I did have some of my in-laws friends give us a 4 year old crib mattress that there granddaughter only slept on once in awhile when she visited. Well my own mom came over and deemed it too soft and that it didn't snuggle the crib like it should. I didn't want to be rude to my in laws friends so thanked them and I'm going to let my mother n law use it for her other grandchild who is a year old and only visits a few times a year. I wanted my baby to have a new and safe firm mattress.

My sister n law was given a used car seat system from a friend she knew at her baby shower last year and gave it to her parents for just in case situations. She kept the brand new one her husband family bought them.

10 Weeks-9/12/12

5 Weeks-12/12/12
July 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my bridal shower my grandmother re-gifted me a holiday party platter that I had bought her for Christmas. At least it was cute, but she never even bothered getting us a wedding gift.

July 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've honestly loved almost everything I've gotten at the showers I've had, the only thing I didn't like was this cow toy that someone bought, it had a rattle in it's belly and if you pulled the handle attached to the tail it would vibrate, I thought it was ugly and didn't like it at all, considered giving it away to a friend who was also having a baby... but then my daughter (whom it was given for) discovered it and loved it... so it stayed, it is now in a box of cherished baby items (she doesn't care about it anymore at 2 years old, and the vibration part is broken).

usually I stick to the same gift for everyone who has a baby, a ring sling or a nursing cover, both if I can afford it. I make them, and try to match the color or pattern to either the mom's style or her nursery.

July 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I got a hand me down car seat that appeared to be designed when I was born for the twins but by far the most irritating and compromising for me was the two year old formula donated for the twins. I was frustrated because I knew how hard breast feeding would be with them but really didn't need those cans mocking me from the cupboard. Plus, it made me think that not many supported in it. My MIL even told me I would go insane. I survived but those cans of formula were like turning away from 9 hours of sleep a lot of nights
July 9th, 2013, 08:20 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirl4forus View Post
I got a hand me down car seat that appeared to be designed when I was born for the twins but by far the most irritating and compromising for me was the two year old formula donated for the twins. I was frustrated because I knew how hard breast feeding would be with them but really didn't need those cans mocking me from the cupboard. Plus, it made me think that not many supported in it. My MIL even told me I would go insane. I survived but those cans of formula were like turning away from 9 hours of sleep a lot of nights
I think I have both given and received formula when I knew that the mom was planning to breastfeed, not because I wanted it or because she did, but the dang things kept coming in the mail and I didn't want them, and offered them to my friend who 'may or may not' need them... she took them on the same kind of 'maybe I'll need them' thought as I had, but it turned out she actually did need them... I guess they served some purpose, but I totally understand your thoughts, often I'd just want to escape for a few hours but knowing I'd have to be back in time to nurse left me wondering if I should even attempt to leave with out the baby (whom I needed a break from) and those cans of formula would taunt me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search